Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Light Houses

Discussion in 'Release 7 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Light Houses look great, when they're on the coast.

But they don't look so hot when they're half a mile inland next to three more light houses. We may want to consider limiting light house placement. Perhaps one per town?

steanne, Ironclad, Mythical2 and 6 others like this.
  2. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Or only allow them in hexes within 3 hexes of a body of water?

3. Floors

Floors Avatar

It will be different when you can only place items you've actually paid for and the world is 10 times bigger.

4. dp_dropout

dp_dropout Avatar

I don't understand why anyone would want that as their home. I went inside one yesterday and it's probably the crappiest layout of any home in game.
    On top of that, there's no room outside.

5. Floors

Floors Avatar

Some of us have more than one home. You have a Lord Marshal Main home, a Knight Marshal Keep in a PvP area (hopefully) and a lighthouse to get away to to relax on a weekend.

You want to talk about bad houses, there's the citizen house... nothing but a tiny room

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

It's an iconic home, and let's face it, you don't really have to "live" there. 90% of all your time is going to be out in the world somewhere, looking at other people's homes. Even if you're crafting all day, you're just going to be standing at a crafting table somewhere, the home you use to do that in is not really that important. It's a vanity item, and as vanity items go, it's pretty cool looking. Hey, I'm the guy that lives in the lighthouse!

So I get it, the lighthouse is cool. I just think it should be limited to one per town otherwise it will completely kill immerssion. It's one thing to have 20 knight homes in a row, that still looks semi organic. But when you have 3 lighthouses on the side of a mountain facing a small river...o_O

prospereau likes this.
  7. Ironclad

Ironclad Avatar

If what you say is true, that there will be an abundance of waterfront lots available on release, then it would be all the more reason to place a limit of one lighthouse per scene. Otherwise it takes only one person to ruin the aesthetics of a town by placing a redundant second lighthouse.

Lord Lonn Bimmer likes this.
  8. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

In reality, when the game is released, I really don't see too many people using their village lot on the lighthouse, so you don't have too much to worry about.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  9. Floors

Floors Avatar

I might. But I agree they'll be rare. I'll try not to place mine near another lighthouse of course.

The lighthouse is cool if you already have another home. it would be cool if it looks out on something awesome, like volcanoes....

we need more scenes. we should be doing unity scene jams

Lord Lonn Bimmer likes this.
  10. redfish

redfish Avatar

Managing a lighthouse is serious work; captains depend on you to get their ships in safe harbor. By making it a vacation home, you're abdicating your responsibilities and are making a mockery of a noble profession.

:>

steanne, Saosis, Mythical2 and 6 others like this.
  11. Floors

Floors Avatar

What we have is not very lighthouse like really.

More like a glorified Tower.

I take that back it is a lighthouse pretty much.

But it's still a neat, isolated building you could use when you just need to get away from your main home.

12. redfish

redfish Avatar

[​IMG]

13. Floors

Floors Avatar

[​IMG]

Baron Marshal's Lighthouse ? LOL

Svahn, Bodhbh Dearg and smack like this.
  14. Numa

Numa Avatar

Lighthouses are going to be pretty critical once we have real boats and their captains have to navigate in the dark of night. I visited Port Mirren and there is no way to distinguish the coastline without those two lighthouses serving as warning beacons.

15. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

Yeah but 4-6 lighthouses just dosen't work for an island

Numa likes this.
  16. Floors

Floors Avatar

I really don't think it will be like that in the real game where a lighthouse costs 800 bucks and is the choice between that and a founders keep for many.

I think they'll only be used by the higher tiers on their extra village lots. So they should be comparatively rare and I hope those people don't place them near another lighthouse.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  17. Daevin Aruth

Daevin Aruth Avatar

A person who owns a pledge level that has a lighthouse should be able to place it anywhere they choose on any available lot and if a lighthouse becomes a restricted type placement then ALL housing needs to be restricted by type and by placement. No need to make something simple complicated.

18. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

SotA HOA, coming soon :)

19. Drocis the Devious

So I've been following this Archeage game for a few weeks now and in that game they allow you to upload images to your cloaks and ship sails. I watched a video of a Black Pearl Pirate ship with pink and white barbie sails.

To me, there's a good reason to have a Home Owner's Association...to keep nonsense like this out of the game. Sure, anytime people get too restrictive it's "not good". Just like any time people get too unrestrictive.

Mordecai and UnseenDragon like this.
  20. prospereau

prospereau Avatar

Maybe the coastline in SoTA is like *really* dangerous so they have to have lots of lighthouses to stop you running aground in your stretch goal skiff. I mean...just think...it could be horrible...you run aground and suddenly all these Cornish people turn up to steal your Whisky. :eek:

DF.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.