Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Light spell suggestions: Brightness increase on leveling

Discussion in 'Release 44 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Mishikal, Jul 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

A long standing issue for this game has been the darkness level at night time, which triggers migraines for some people. With the change in the light spell making it dimmer, it only exacerbates this problem. One possible solution (and a way to encourage people to level the spell), is to have it increase in brightness as it goes up in levels, so that at level 80, you have a very bright light that provides exceptional illumination, etc.

Elnoth, amaasing, Barugon and 2 others like this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Plus, the light should begin to fade or flicker as the timer is running down, so you can tell what's happening in game without looking at UI.

Elnoth, Echondas and Mishikal like this.
  3. Sir Leonard

Sir Leonard Localization Team

Voting up. Light today is far worse than night vision, if you don't care about green looking stuff.

Mishikal likes this.
  4. Meridyn

Meridyn Avatar

The new light spell needs serious work before this build goes live. It is unusable in underground locations.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

amaasing, Echondas and Mishikal like this.
  5. pleasedrivefast

pleasedrivefast Avatar

If this is the intention, to reduce the light to this degree shown, could this be added to the 100% unlearn list? This is much more than a 50% reduction in light. I think that's a reasonable given some have trained the skill to last many minutes, and while this change was coming. I didn't expect it to be this drastic. The ambient light in a scene is much better than the spell.

6. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Not to pile on - but it seems like every release, someone tries to make the game darker and harder to see things in - and then there's an update to revert/fix that almost immediately..

(The game is very dark/hard to see things at times as it is - and there should be a GAMMA setting - IMHO)

Also - if holding a torch is going to be pushed as a preferred way to see things, it should be usable as a weapon, IMHO. Currently (by design), you can only punch with a free hand while having a torch equipped..

Here's some examples direct from shroudoftheavatar.com of how dark the game is, linked from the latest update about polishing Etceter:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Barugon, Mishikal and Meridyn like this.
  7. Juvir

Juvir Avatar

I have to disagree with the OP unfortunately. The developers have been telling us for months now that the light spell was going to be less bright than torches, if this spell is changed to get brighter with level, it will go back to what it currently is: Stupid not to have it. While I agree the current iteration shown for the brightness level is too dark, it should not get as bright as a torch.

8. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

If they want to alienate the player base and make the game generally unplayable, they're certainly free to do that. It's not a course *I* would choose as a game developer though.

Barugon and amaasing like this.
  9. amaasing

amaasing Avatar

Thanks for directing me to this thread. The problem with using anything other than the Light Spell is that you have to Equip it or open a Skill path you have no desire to use for any other skill in that path (torch - which means you have to unequip for combat; Gear - which means you have to change your wanted appearance by wearing something that you don't want to wear; and Night Vision? Seriously? I want to be able to see things, not some overly green version of what is around me). I really don't see the issue with just making night a bit lighter. I play other games all the time and don't have this issue of not being able to see at night. Why is this game so difficult to just be able to play and have a good time when the sun goes down? I just don't get it.

Mishikal likes this.
  10. Juvir

Juvir Avatar

You mean like training into sun just for the light skill? You're highlighting what I said, it's currently a "You're stupid if you don't have it" skill, and shouldn't be. There should be negatives to every way you effect the lighting around you. And before the "but you can't stealth" argument, miners and those in dark spaces don't care about stealth, it's not a valid argument.

Echondas likes this.
  11. redfish

redfish Avatar

Hmmm.... A lot of the balance problems between Light and torches, Healing Touch and potions, etc. would go away if there were reagent requirements... just sayin'. :D A lot of times trying to make things easier just makes things harder, and I would personally say that for more than one mechanic in the game...

Mishikal likes this.
  12. amaasing

amaasing Avatar

LOL - While I certainly respect your opinion, but really? Using reagents to allow us to see while we play? No thanks. Just make the darn game less dark at night. No need to have anything change in play style, gear, potions, reagents, skills, etc. Just change the light value at night. Or give us the ability to do that ourselves (as we had before) via the Video Options. This does not have to be complicated. Let's just fix the root cause. :)

Mishikal likes this.
  13. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Less dark at night doesn't help in places like the Kiln Cistern or the Spectral Mines, however. Check out Meridyn's screenshots above. ;)

14. amaasing

amaasing Avatar

Yep - like that. The only reason I didn't bring that up was because we don't have to train that skill. It is given to us free of charge I believe when we start the game. I could be wrong but I thought that was the case. If not then, yes, include that in my argument. :)

Mishikal likes this.
  15. redfish

redfish Avatar

@amaasing Or a torch :>

Brightness certainly needs to adapt to different screen setups, though not to make it so bright that using a torch or spell is pointless, which I fear may be what some people want ;)

I don't consider using reagents/a torch to go out at night much different than needing a weapon and armor in to fight in combat. On my screen, though I've had problems with brightness in the past, I can currently stumble around in the dark to get where I want in a pinch, though at such a serious disadvantage that it makes me want to use light, which is fine. I'm not aware of everyone's setup though...

16. amaasing

amaasing Avatar

I agree - but I don't go to those places any more. They have been made way too difficult for the average player to survive and for me, I don't enjoy dying. I thought there was mention of a miner's hat at one point. I wouldn't mind purchasing one of those from a vendor for IGG if I wanted to venture off into a dark, scary, difficult underground area (not that I would, but I like that option better than spells, reagents, enchanted gear, etc.). And to be honest, one would expect those places to be darker.

But I agree with you - they are way too dark as well. I do remember when we could actually change the Video Options to be brighter that those underground areas were view-able at least. Looked a little washed out, but you could see to get around.

17. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

It only starts at level 20. You still want to train it if you like it to last a while.

18. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I can't see anything with the light spell where it is while sprinting:
    [​IMG]

Mishikal likes this.
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I use Night Vision for dungeon crawling. I only use the Light spell for things like decorating and mining (because it's sometimes hard to see the ore nodes with Night Vision).

20. scubaman

scubaman Avatar

Besides realism, roleplay, balance etc. etc. Very few gamers want to play a dark game. That leaves 3 choices - 1. Make decent light sources. 2. bleed your gamma so high it doesnt matter. 3. quit and play something you can see in.

My brother bought everquest on day 1. Rolled a dwarf & couldnt see to get out of the town and quit. To this day if I mention that game he refers to it as the "one so dark you couldn't see anything"

Plenty of stuff in that game to allow people to see, but if you start the new play experience off in the dark...well.....Not everyone will enjoy it.

Mishikal and Echondas like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.