Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Like it that vendors are now sitting down when they are empty

Discussion in 'Release 52 QA Feedback Forum' started by CatweazleX, Mar 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

2. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

maybe if there is a chair nearby... they go there and sit down... :)

3. Lained

Lained Avatar

Not just empty but also when they're inventory hasn't been updated in a while.

Numa and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

Just that this makes no sense to me...

What if you want a Middle Eastern bazaar type marketplace where vendors are sitting down by intent?

I just don't see why sitting down = out of stock or old stock. Not intuitive to me, and overly restrictive.

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

And if your vendors are indoors behind a sales counter (like I place them)?

Will visitors even be able to see them when they're sitting? Seems they'd be below the counter.

Elwyn likes this.
  6. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I would rather see them doing Slavic squats. Sitting down on a rug is a legit active mercantile.

Alley Oop likes this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Personally, like I said when the subject first came up, I'd like a vdenor bark system where when you're close enough, they'll say what they have on them, whether the items are new, whether they're out, etc.

What I got was that the way this was handled in a certain other game was annoying, but it would make more sense to me and it could in theory be done right.

Possibly merchant gestures on appraoch, but I don't know what meaningful gestures would be.

Ideally, they'd have stock available on a display counter, but thats far out in terms of things they can realistically do right now.

I don't know, I just think really obvious things like sitting have a lot of drawbacks to them that I don't like, and don't think ID from far away is that important.

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

It is kind of odd tho that they stay sitting when you are talking to them though. ;)

Sentinel2 and Echondas like this.
  9. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Waving or doing backflips or something if recently updated is probably better than sitting when empty / inactive.

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I didn't mind them standing because while I may not have wanted anything they had in the past I might want it this time I checked them. Perhaps vendors that are empty could sit down and take a nap.

Tiina Onir and Sentinel2 like this.
  11. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Agreed. Empty vendors, yes, maybe. Vendors with stock, even if its not recent, may still be relevant to me. This sitting business makes no sense to me and is actually a bit frustrating as it's a not needed change that adds ambiguity to a game already with some counter intuitive aspects that have to be overcome, particularly by new players.

12. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I like it. I would also sit down when having to stay outside the whole day waiting for customers.

PS: Although if you are on the toilet... Give the guy some privacy jeeeez.

13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

/picknose /ponder /bored maybe it could do these in a sequence and lay out a bedroll and sleep for a bit also lol

14. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

I have found that not all vendors are setting down - I went to owls head and some were still standing

15. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

We need the really happy vendors to do the Starrlton! They could dance after a large sale of like 20,000 or more, and more intricate dances with larger sales. /snoopydance
    I got a good chuckle out of that one. It would be nice if they could recognize certain types of furniture nearby, at least chairs, and sit down in them. That might fix the "hiding behind the counter" problem. If you neglect to stock your vendor AND don't put a chair nearby for him to sit in, that's your fault that nobody can see him.

liz_the_wiz likes this.
  16. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

How rude :D

Not you. The Vendor ;D

liz_the_wiz likes this.
  17. redfish

redfish Avatar

To the extent that the devs would be planning something like this though I would hope it would be in by the time they implemented the vendors sitting mechanic...

Something that annoys me is it sometimes feels the devs are assuming "vendors will be standing outside" as the test case, which not only annoys me because it works against RP, but also because a lot of the mechanics they've put in (or do not put in) at different times with this in mind incentivize players to put vendors outside in the first place. Whether we're talking about row house windows being shuttered or something else.

But I still don't see that a salesperson sitting in a chair behind a counter really properly communicates old stock or out of stock. Just my personal feeling on this...

I think providing cues on vendors like this is a good idea, but long-term it would be a lot better for the game if the devs considered these things more in RP terms.

18. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I think it was entirely the players' idea to put vendors outside, simply because it's so much easier to see all of them on a street at once, rather than have to peer inside each house for one. The devs would have to go out of their way to make this not the case.

Though a "shop" row house with a pop up front window counter would have been nice.

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

Well, the practice also started before we had shop signs and shop signs as they are still aren't that good for a lot of reasons I could outline.

If we could also look up shop names on the town crier, and look at a map with shops, that would help. As would being able to post ads on town bulletinboards in a way more similar to how we put items on a public vendor. As would posting notices outdoor on our shop front saying what we have for sale inside.

But yes also things like being able see more clearly through windows and have shop fronts and stuff like that.

Also just things about how the game works generally just make it easy to slap a vendor outside, like the fact that players can put shop name and shop information on vendor nameplates.

With street names so random its also hard to tell players to go to such and such a street address.

Its a combination of mechanics that exist, and ones that don't but should.

Look, I ran some shops during pre-persistence and set them up in a way in which vendors were indoors, and since then I've found I've had to fight dev design decisions that made it difficult for me to do that or disincentivized me to do that. The biggest one I already mentioned, with the closed shutters, which made doing what I was trying to do so much harder. (As does sitting vendors if there is no current chair option, and someone please tell me if there is). I just wish I didn't feel the devs were fighting RPers so much. And no I don't think they're doing this intentionally -- it just feels that way sometimes.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.