Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Linux Client Crashes, Leaks Memory, Poor Performance and Frame Rate

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Damian Killingsworth, Nov 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

11/25/2018 13:13
    Title:Linux Client Crashes, Leaks Memory, Poor Performance and Frame Rate
    Reproduction Rate:~every 1-120 minutes of play
    Blocker?yes
    Details:The crashes started after one of the recent patches (not sure which one haven't been playing everyday). I monitored the memory usage during play and it looks like the old issue of loading a scene into memory but not dumping the old data as the memory usage increases with each new instance until it spills over into swap. Once the swap is full the system halts. I have played recently on this same rig with Windows 10 and have no problems with crashing or framerate. Honestly, I have never had better than 30 fps on Linux client ever.

Using NVIDIA driver meta package from nvidia-driver-390 (proprietary, tested)

Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8) System RAM: 15955
    GPU: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2 GPU RAM: 4096
    SotA.Linux.64.877.Date.11.21.18
    Area: Novia
    Area Display Name: Novia
    Loc: (-109.3, 15.7, -269.5)
    Debug: Tm92aWF8fCgtMTA5LjM0NiwgMTUuNzI2LCAtMjY5LjUpfCgwLjAwMiwgLTAuODQ2LCAtMC4wMDgsIC0wLjUzMyl8MTE1LjU5MTh8NDV8MjA=

I am surprised not to see a similar account of this bug in the forum. Maybe is is my hardware/os combo, at any rate, I hope this helps with the support of SotA on Linux systems, because this game is perfect for Linux nerds.

Also if anyone is successfully running the client on Intel chipsets with Ubuntu 18 (or any other hardware/Linux distro combo, I would like to PM about it if you have time.

Sorthious likes this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i have your memory problems (and have the whole time). it's been my vague understanding (but have not had confirmed that i can recall) that this is an opengl problem and so out of their control, but possibly irrelevant once unity with vulkan is good enough, so i just have a script to warn me when it's getting big and forget about it.

your frame rate problem, however, i do NOT have. the highest i've seen is the vertical rate of my monitor, and i have the same gpu as you with an older/lesser intel cpu. i have a couple of theories on that:

one may be that sometimes games run better withOUT hyperthreading. my i5-4430 doesn't support it, so it never was a problem, but your cpu does, so it might be worth disabling it in bios to see if it makes a difference for you.

another difference might be that i installed cuda; when i did i saw such a jump in performance that i had to re-teach myself how to turn: i was overcorrecting all over the place. ...i have heard that installing cuda on ubuntu is surprisingly arduous, though

also, with a 970 there's no need to stick on the 390 branch (although 410.73 has a displayport bug that's occasionally biting me, it's fixed in 410.78)

3. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I am running GNU/Linux and not having your stated issues, yes memory usage is pretty high after zoning a few times. I have 32GB of memory so its not that big of a deal. But I do see it memory usage being 18GB after a few hours playing. So in your case that would mean the kernel would have killed the SotA process with a OOM in dmesg. (Sacrafice child, killed PID.)

But framerate has never been better.

Damian Killingsworth likes this.
  4. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

Installed cuda toolkit and it worked like a charm. THANK YOU :)

For Ubuntu 18 with universe repository:
    $ sudo apt install nvidia-cuda-toolkit gcc-6

Alley Oop likes this.
  5. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

For me r60 was pretty smooth at the beginning. I still had micro hitching(less than a 1/2 sec.) But, as the release has went on the hitching is getting bad again, and the lag is really bad. I play at 2 diff places; one has 60Mbps(cable) and the other has 100Mbps(fiber), and both connections give me around 40ms to servers in Dallas, Texas, yet the lag is horrible. Anyway, frame-rate has never been much of an issue unless I'm in towns with lots of deco; Ardoris, Owl's Head,etc.; in those places I still get 15-25FPS. The memory issue is also getting worse it seems. During r60 QA I could play like 4-hours and I was maintaining around 4gigs free memory, no matter how many scenes I went to(maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.) Anyway, I hope we aren't just backsliding on performance again!

User Specs:(I'm actually on Ubuntu 18.10 right now, but can't get in game at moment, but i'm having same issues in 18.10)
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4) System RAM: 15913
    GPU: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics (POLARIS10, DRM 3.23.0, 4.15.0-38-generic, LLVM 7.0.0) GPU RAM: 7900

Damian Killingsworth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.