Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Linux] Game browser executable stays running

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by AoiBlue, Jan 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

On Linux (64), after the game closes the game browser program (ZFGameBrowser} will (sometimes?) remain running in the background.

This of course causes any memory leaks in said program to escalate over time as opposed to restarting it each launch, as well as using a minute amount of processor time for it's idle loop.

Fixing this so that this program would auto-quit on the death of the Shroud of the Avatar game process regardless of if the game properly closed or crashed should be a fairly easy task. There are signal notices for when a particular program closes that programs can listen for. I'm not sure of the particulars due to never having used them myself, but I know they exist.

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@AoiBlue, please use the /bug command in game to generate a bug report draft and paste it into this thread.

Jaesun likes this.
  3. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

Sorry if I wasn't clear. the /bug command isn't relevant here. This is after the program closes due to a crash or hang.

I can manually make a capture of my process list if you wish and any other data that would be relevant, but there is no in game data because the game is no longer active at this point.

I found it only occurs when the game does not close properly (either hangs and is force quit or crashes).

To replicate:
    1. Launch game.
    2. Connect to game
    3. Open console
    4. Enter:
    Code:
    killall -KILL "Shroud of the Avatar.x86_64" 
    You could also use a simulated SEGV

What Happens:
    This will cause the game to close as if it was force closed by another task (usually for being unresponsive) or the kernel (due to out of memory).

Expected behavior:
    1. The game server browser should listen for the parent death signal (which should be sent in most cases) and then terminate itself.
    2. It should also run a watchdog on the time since it received a request from the parent program. If no request is received after a specified amount of time it should self-terminate. This will solve any other issues.

p.s. I cannot get the process in question to load reliably. It seems it only loads on certain occasions. I don't know what it is. Also, the /bug command on Linux seems to only bring up the forum index, and doesn't generate any sort of draft outside of the chat. It tells me to copy and paste it from there, but in the Linux client you can't even select it, let alone copy and paste it. The "/bug" command is completely bugged on that.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  4. Alley Oop

bugs may be relevant only to certain systems/distros/libraries and it is useful to the devs to be able to compile data on the systems it affects. please use the /bug command in game, even though the actual bug is occurring after it's closed.

the /bug command opens the bug forum, generates a report, puts it in the chat tab, AND puts it on your clipboard. you have simply to navigate to the correct subforum and either create a new bug thread or add to an existing one and paste it in.

you can also, if needed, copy the text in your current chat tab to clipboard with the /copy command. this gets all the text in the tab, so is not only useful for the bug draft if you overwrote it before you got to pasting it, but can also be used to capture dialog when the bug you're reporting involves it.

AoiBlue and Jaesun like this.
  5. Alley Oop

you don't need to. running the /bug command puts the text directly onto the clipboard. it's already copied.

6. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

Yeah, I just reread your post. (BTW, not being able to select text is annoying, but that's another issue.)

Anyhow. I'm having trouble replicating it reliably. The binary is actually an in-game HTML renderer. I'm not sure when it is being used for exactly. However, about three instances of it appear while playing, and I haven't had any times where it failed to close on crash since the latest patch.

Of course I've had no hard crashes. I may need to try to try forcing one with SIGV instead of KILL. Now that I know what the component is, I may be able to force it to load.

7. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

01/12/2019 02:53
    Title:Issue with ZFGameBrowser binary not always closing
    Reproduction Rate:Low
    Blocker? No
    Details:ZFGameBrowser binary (chrome engine for some in game HTML rendering) remains open sometimes when the game crashes.
    Steps to Reproduce: I am having difficulty reproducing the bug. The binary in question only loads at certain times. I'm not sure what loads it. It usually closes properly. I'm not sure what circumstances cause it not to. However, I suspect certain types of crashes may be responsible
    User Specs:
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X Quad-Core Processor (8) System RAM: 16032
    GPU: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics (POLARIS10, DRM 3.23.0, 4.15.0-43-generic, LLVM 8.0.0) GPU RAM: 7900
    SotA.Linux.64.892.Date.01.08.19
    Area: Novia_R7_City_Aerie
    Area Display Name: Aerie
    Loc: (417.6, 67.1, -56.7)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjdfQ2l0eV9BZXJpZXx8KDQxNy42MzksIDY3LjEzNywgLTU2LjczMyl8KDAsIC0wLjc4MSwgMCwgLTAuNjI0KXwyMjQyLjY1M3w0MC4xMTU0MnwxLjI1

Process details from ksysguard:
    Code:
    Process 23562 - ZFGameBrowser

Summary

The process ZFGameBrowser (with pid 23562) is using approximately 49.2 MB of memory.
    It is using 40.1 MB privately, and a further 24.6 MB that is, or could be, shared with other programs.
    Dividing up the shared memory between all the processes sharing that memory we get a reduced shared memory usage of 9.0 MB. Adding that to the private usage, we get the above mentioned total memory footprint of 49.2 MB.
    Library Usage

The memory usage of a process is found by adding up the memory usage of each of its libraries, plus the process's own heap, stack and any other mappings, plus the stack of its 23 threads.
    Private
    more
    16388 KB   /dev/shm/u1001-Shm_a4bd441
    12988 KB   [heap]
    6340 KB   /home/robert-new/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Plugins/zf_cef.so
    1028 KB   /dev/shm/u1001-Shm_2642dae1
    964 KB   /dev/shm/zfb_proxyChannel-22664-1-1 (deleted)
    Shared
    more
    2048 KB   /dev/shm/u1001-ValveIPCSharedObj-Steam
    1764 KB   /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc-2.27.so
    1688 KB   /home/robert-new/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Plugins/zf_cef.so
    1028 KB   /dev/shm/zfb_proxyChannel-22664-1-2 (deleted)
    668 KB   /dev/shm/zfb_proxyChannel-22664-1-4
    Totals

Private   41096 KB   (= 1520 KB clean + 39576 KB dirty)
    Shared   25240 KB   (= 7092 KB clean + 18148 KB dirty)
    Rss   66336 KB   (= Private + Shared)
    Pss   50350 KB   (= Private + Shared/Number of Processes)
    Swap   0 KB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.