Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Linux - Lags everywhere all the time

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Debcool, Aug 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debcool

Debcool Avatar

Title: Linux - Lags everywhere all the time and lost of connections

Reproduction Rate: 100%

Blocker? yes

Details:

I am in UTC +2 EU zone. The situation discribe below happen during the day here (afternoon and evening)when there is almost nobody in the game.

In the little town of Braemar; without moving, without any graphical option activated and nobody present, lags occur every 15s or so for about 2-3s. In town like Owls-head, it's worst. Barely playable.

Depending on the moment of the day, after a while, the "lost connection" logo appears. While most of the time it dissappears quickly sometime it last long. If I try to play during the night (when most US player are in) this game is completly unplayable. Disconnection after disconnection [Pelican].

From there, the game gets stuck and I must kill it, turn off Steam, restart Steam and restart the game. If I don't turn off/on Steam and I start the game directly, when I try to log in I've got an error message that tells me that my credentials are not find in the database.

Steps to Reproduce:
    Play the game. If you can call it playing...

User Specs:

Intel 6850K 4GHz
    32GB DDR4 3200MHz
    Nvidia GTX750Ti 2GB
    Resolution 1920x1200

Debian GNU/Linux 9.0 (Testing) 64Bit
    Linux 4.17
    Nividia 390.77

2. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Please execute a /devbug ingame and paste your clipboard here, so that we can see your actual hardware specs and other information.

Jaesun likes this.
  3. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I can not reproduce this on my GNU/Linux system. Although I do not play through Steam. I think the 2GB GPU memory is a bit too low..

Debcool likes this.
  4. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I saw similar lag in The Rise on windows. As noted in another thread, this build is fairly buggy. Hopefully it'll be better in the next build.

Debcool likes this.
  5. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Played today also around 1pm EST and had heavy lag in The Rise. Had like 600+hps and was casting heal spells on myself but HPs weren't increasing. Then, like 5secs later everything applied and I was down to 194HPs. Fighting lots of Magi all at once. Also, was getting Network Icon very frequently.

Debcool and Mishikal like this.
  6. Debcool

Debcool Avatar

Hi,

This is definetly a network problem. As I mention in my original post when a disconnection happens either it freezes the game or after a while It shows a message "[Pelican] ...network congestion..." (sry I don't remember the exact message). I've just recall that it was the same problem that we have encountered a few YEARS back.

BTW, this behaviour is the same either I play via Steam or not.

It is a real disapointment to me that a game I (we) invested in so much (money & time) during the last five years (starting with the crowfunding)... is not even playable at this point! It is completly unstable nor even finished actualy but has been released anyway...

Instead of adding new contents and working on episode 2, Portalarium should concentrate its ressources in making the game stable & playable first.

It would also be a good idea to put some servers here in EU, Asia and Russia to prevent this sort of network troubles.

@ Feeyo, Mishical & sourthious

Thanks for your replies. Much appreciated!

A+
    Debcool TheFlyHunter

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    Sorthious likes this.
  7. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Too low?

I've been running other games on my rig without any issues. Rust (for instance) runs great. Not cranked up to the best. It uses the Unity engine as well. CounterStrike GO and TF2 run great.

SOTA however I've seen instances this last release where it felt like a slow action movie :) Then it would speed back up to normal for a few minutes. Odd. Since r54 it's been an issue.

I've been digging into this. Updating drivers and all. I have a second system setup to mess with it now. Dual boots between Windows and Linux. I should be able to start testing with it this week. And begin messing with the QA server build. I'm curious if the problem is still around.

8. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Give 733 a try. I've been running it with both 390 down to 394.130. So far seems great. I used to see a LOT of hitching and lag every minute lasting maybe 5-10 seconds. During battle it was rough.

Tomorrow I'll do more testing with 390 and see if that makes any difference.

9. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Performance on 733 was a lot better on my GNU/Linux Box yesterday, no hitching, no lagging 55-60fps constant. Of course on some scenes its lower as it depends on the scenes its layout and optimization, but it was a very good build for me.
    But the last 56 QA was also hitch free, and on production it was worse then ever. So we will have to see how this one goes.

10. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Debcool, are you seeing issues in the latest build? We attempted to move to a newer Unity that caused some major issues with Linux. We have since reverted back and I know at least a few people reported all things being well.

Also, please understand we can't test these things on all flavors of linux and many of these things were specific to certain flavors and certain cards. We do our best to support our small linux audience but sometimes we don't see the same stuff you guys see. We do actually do a linux smoke test for each release that covers 2 configurations of linux and video cards. Sadly this means you guys need to be extra vocal when something linux specific breaks or we probably won't even notice it!

Thanks for your patience on this and thanks for helping test!

11. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Some feedback on this.

Running Ubuntu 16.04 and KUbuntu 16.04 using Best video settings. Just installed the Nvidia 396.54 driver on my GTX 960 card.

So far, the most lag I've seen is after a few seconds after entering a scene. Usually. Rarely while in the scene did I see it lag or hitch. It ran smoothly.

Spent a few minutes in The Rise, Sawtooth Thicket, Parrots Roost to name a few.

Here is my devbug info while in Sawtooth Thicket.

08/28/2018 19:55
    Title:
    Reproduction Rate:
    Blocker?
    Details:
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: AMD FX(tm)-8310 Eight-Core Processor (8) System RAM: 15947
    GPU: GeForce GTX 960/PCIe/SSE2 GPU RAM: 2048
    SotA.QA.Linux.64.734.Date.08.28.18
    Area: Novia_R2_Forest02_01
    Area Display Name: Sawtooth Thicket
    Loc: (39.8, 8.3, -103.1)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjJfRm9yZXN0MDJfMDF8fCgzOS43ODgsIDguMjk4LCAtMTAzLjExMSl8KDAsIC0wLjk5OCwgMCwgMC4wNil8NTQ2Ljk0MDd8MTguNjM0NTd8MTEuNDM0Mzc=

GPU utilization never went past 67%. And that's while I was watching a movie and playing. Memory usage was higher than I expected. 1.86 Gigs out of 2 Gigs in use. Still. A dramatic improvement overall. Was running "watch -n 0.5 nvidia-smi" as I played.

Went back to R56 to test. Even with the new Nvidia driver I can see lagging every so often. It's better than what I had before. The new driver helped improve my r56 experience. So far R57 is performing far better.

@Debcool Try installing the newer video drivers and see if that helps. I had to setup the graphics-drivers ppa first followed by the apt update. Installed 396.54 and off I went. Let us know how it goes. Hope all this rambling helped. I was typing as I went :)

12. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

Observed the same as in the orginal post. Yesterday damage from glyphs are not applied needed to auto attack the mobs down.
    As far as i know some of the things that needs to be calculated can be offloaded to other clients. What is when the line of such a client can not keep up?
    It is feeling exactly like a heavy loaded or congested line.
    You are qualifying or dis-qualifying clients that are used for offloading? (other then fps)

13. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I admit to having a really nice Internet connection here. 40+ Meg down with 20Meg up. Personally it's been perfect for all my needs so far :)

Might be the difference during my testing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.