Little Feedback of a new player

Discussion in 'New Player Experience Feedback' started by Scipione, Dec 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scipione

Scipione Avatar

Hey all out there,

so after some requests made in my "hello" posts in the forums, i'll get to my feedback thread now.
    At first, sorry if there are some spelling or grammar failures in this, english is not my native language.

Intro (For actual feedback scroll down, this part is mainly describing my way of finding SOTA):

For me, SOTA is mainly a mmo game. I know there is a singleplayer feature etc.. but its how i personally see the game, thats something i need to say upfront.
    I really liked to old MMOs like DAOC or Everquest the time back. The ways MMOs have changed over the years couldn't catch me, it was just not my type of game anymore in all these WOWs and whatnot out there. But because i had some good memorys of "the old days" i started playing some MMOs from time to time (for mostly a short time *g*). Thats what happened a few weeks ago, i looked for a MMO i could play for a bit and perhaps like.. so i started playing some TERA and didn't like it at all. I already thought "well ... again a proof that this genre can't catch me anymore" and was on my way to move on, but all these searches i made on youtube before made me showing up a video suggestion. It was @Gerugon (a YT LPer i watch from time to time) which had uploaded some videos, showing of SOTA and catched my interest. I reminded myself that some time ago i heared about the kickstarter campaing, but kinda lost track of this game since then. So i watched a video and this game kinda instantly got me. So i linked the game page and the video to my best friend to keep an eye on this game, since i was unsure if i want to spend the money atm on another unfinished game. But my friend got also instantly catched that much, he just buyed two copies and handed me one (Thanks again bro).
    That was a few days ago and i have around 30h spend ingame since then. I'm a player who likes it to look around quite much and also try out mechanics for myself, so i think i'm also quite slow progres-whise but who cares *g*.

After bout 30h of gametime, i can surely not say i understand everything or know all. Beside one video i watched upfront i also didn't do much searches and readings on actual gamemechanics and spoilers, so there might be some struggles already answered somewhere.

What i don't like at the moment:

- Questjournal Bugs/Problems: I know this game isn't finished and it has issues with performance, missing maps and whatnot, but this is something i personally really have issues with. Quests i already completed showing off again in the journal without beeing able to solve again, leaving me only 2 optionts: remind/take note of the acutall ones and delete all and go on from there or: remind/Take not of the ones which are not doable and ignore them. Both options i don't like very much .. i mean yes it's not a game breaker.. but it is annoying af.
    Also sometimes (sorry didn't take notes on which quests exacly, should have done this retrospectively), the journal don't take notes on locations or special "words" to remember. I don't cry for a system which just shows me all i need to do for a quest (in fact i really like it not to run only to marked areas to do quests and have some puzzles etc), but there is very much text in this game and i can't play everyday, so if i need to remember something a NPC sayd for a quest i did start 3 days ago it can be really annoying, i spend hours just remembering all involved NPCs in a quest and talk everything again and again to get all the infos again for something, which had atleast be somekind noted in the journal.

-Town Sieges: I don't get what they are good for. But as a new player i have quests which send me to alot of towns, which are most likely under siege, so i have to go through a siege area and walk to a town, go through a siege area, have some chat with some NPC, move through a siege area .. get to the next town, move through siege area .. have some chat with some NPC, move through a siege area.... i don't know why there are that often.. i also don't know what they do or if they are fun to play if you are higher level, but as a newbie they are annoying, especially if most of your quest encourage you to travel to many towns all the time.

-Real Money Housing: First: YES i know there are some players selling for ingame gold or even offering free housing, or there is some kind of lottery. Still housing is, atleast in my eyes, a big part of this game. Only having access to it by spending money is something i don't like. I know a game like this needs a shop to raise enough money and thats not a problem i have, but personally i would like it more to get atleast some kind of your own home by playing and not spending real money, even just giving players like a instanced inn room to decorate a bit and atleast a tiny chest (for ingame gold or whatnot) should be something to consider.

- Finding stuff to buy from either NPC or Player Vendors: I needed to repair my weapon, but i could'nt find the needed repair kit to do so. It took me over 3 hours to finally find a NPC vendor which sold it. I guess its a good idea not every smith in every town sells the same stuff, i like that. It's also a very good idea to have player vendors to buy and sell items. But it really ends up in a mess if you search for something. this might be an issue getting better if you know the world better and where to look, no question. But as a new player i really had my struggle with it. I don't know if some kind of "search" window would be something, so you could atleast search for a vendor within a city which sells the cathegory of items you are looking for (for example, if i want to buy a sword, why not have a list of NPCs / Vendors showing which are flagged as "sword sellers" so i have atleast a chance to find them)

What i really like:

- At first, the community here. Glad to have such helpful people around.

- The UI, i know its looking old and there might be a better way of.... but i like it this way, just gives me good memorys (;

- The scenes are great. i mean i only was able to get into a handful, but in every scene there was stuff to explore, little hidden areas and it made me want to explore the whole area. This is really well done :)

- Just the facts that you, for example, asked for the name to know the name. That you can type in specific phrased whilst talking to an npc (even i'm not sure if there is more to come and to discover)

- Player Crafted Items are the way to go (atleast as far as i can tell)

- The overall atmosphere in this game

- The Skillsystem. So .. i know there are discussions about this .. and i know i have not played enough to be really able to judge this one, but as far as i have played now i can say, that what i have seen so far i really like.

- The stunning amounts of books in this game *g*

Final words:

I hope i remembered all i wanted to post, but atleast i have managed to do this post *g*
    It always looks that bad if you look at the "negative" feedback compared to the "positiv", but i always feel the need to express something i don't like more than stuff i like when doing a feedback post, sorry for that @Devs i really like your game and i'm continueing playing it.

2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Nice Feedback!

Have fun - Stun

p.s.: ich bin wie gar nicht so wenige hier deutschsprachig und wenn ihr Hilfe braucht, Fragen habt, könnt ihr mich gerne ansprechen, Gerugon scheint ja aber auch schon recht erfahren zu sein und hat mir gestern mitgeteilt, das es bereits einige Veteranen zu euch verschlagen hat. Dennoch kann es ja nicht schaden zu wissen wen man ggf. noch fragen bzw. mit spielen kann.

Ich wünsche euch viel Spaß mit SotA.
    Stundorn Stureson.

Timmy Vortex likes this.
  3. Scipione

Scipione Avatar

Thanks

p.s. obwohl ich durch gerugons video auf das Spiel aufmerksam geworden bin, gehöre ich nicht zu dessen Gilde oder Community bislang. Ist mehr so ein YTer bei dem ich ab und an mal reinschau.

Timmy Vortex likes this.
  4. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Welcome to the game :)

5. skeggy Media

skeggy Media Avatar

welcome Scipione to the game feel free to ask me or the great community if you need help or have questions.
    a good comment on vendor mechanics.

Timmy Vortex likes this.
  6. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

I think that we could work something out in this direction.
    I have a couple of empty rooms.

Timmy Vortex likes this.
  7. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

Welcome . Hope you have a lot of fun. Take your time and always ask questions when in doubt. Our community has many willing to help.

Lord-Galiwyn and Timmy Vortex like this.
  8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Welcome! Great feedback, I agree with almost all of it. I hope I can give you hope by telling you that if you were leaving this feedback a year ago, it would have been 10x longer and 10x harsher, so they are really making some good progress.

Since you like the community, please don't miss out on the biggest part of the game (my opinion,) community created content. We've constantly got events and creative endeavors going on. For instance there was a live play with prerecorded voice acting on Saturday. It was impressive, kudos to the cast.

Also, since you like the books, just so you know you can publish your own! There are also player created libraries in several different towns. Off the top of my head, Serenite and Veritas Sanctuary, but I know there are more.

Again, welcome and have fun!

9. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Hello and welcome. Thanks for the feedback!

Market likes this.
  10. oplek

oplek Avatar

I'm used to the sieges... but I can see how a new person would see them as constant pointless roadblocks.

It'd be nice if defeating them wasn't futile. Doing so should cause that city/town to be siege-free for a few days, if not up to a week.

11. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Hmmmmm, it would be nice if there were low level seiges or some replacement for the towns around the low level areas. I do know that we can go around the edge to avoid too much fighting, but Resolute, Ardoris, Aeirie should probably have something happening to them that has low level battles that can be completed by low level players, with low level rewards.

Stundorn and GreyMouser Skye like this.
  12. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Agreed, I am so tired of Ardoris, Resolute and well just about EVERYWHERE being under siege. If a siege gets defeated by a player it should have a cool down of at least a few days.

majoria70 and Gorthyn like this.
  13. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

Ardoris has that one bandit camp near one of the side entrances.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.