Livestream Part 2 - Building Tools

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Womby, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Womby

Womby Avatar

After reading this announcement, I had some doubts.

In particular, the following statement grabbed my attention:
    "One of the new features we plan to discuss is a set of new building tools including dungeon creation (player property) and defense building (player property, castle defenses and control points). These are part of a larger effort to increase the community's ability to craft their own adventures that includes existing tools like notes and signs but is also expanding with other new features like advanced container settings (locks, place/take settings, etc.) along with craftable/purhasable/placeable traps and spawners (spider eggs, skeleton crypts, etc.). When you put all of these things together your ability to craft adventures will be limited only by your imagination!"

If this means that we can create our own dungeons and structures then it goes well beyond what I had been hoping for and in my view, if implemented, has the potential to attract a large number of players. I must admit to being initially skeptical about the "dungeon creation" and "defense building" part, so I had a look at the Unity Asset Store. There I found plug-in tools that allow players to do exactly that, and more. It seems that these features can now be supplied "off the shelf", which is very friendly to small development teams, so my skepticism has been somewhat allayed.

I only hope my interpretation is correct. I would love to see this implemented.

2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

These are only for PvP areas if I am recalling correctly too. Although I understand that.

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

The devs have been talking about build-your-own dungeon for a long time, ever since they got a dungeon toolkit from Unity, which uses a lot of the pieces that have gone into the actual in-game dungeons.

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  4. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

As a long term wish, the possibility to go out and 'capture' creatures to then use in your own 'dungeon' design would be a huge feature, and since the creature can only be looted once when it dies, and the xp reward similarly only is awarded once, it seems a perfectly 'non-exploitable' way to keep people engaged. Not sure how the possibility of people using this to build their own 'zoo' would work out though, might be a few too many ai mobs active in a small area for comfortable performance levels.

Vaentorian and Senash Kasigal like this.
  5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Um, where did you read that ?

6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

From the last livestream.

7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

They were specifically referencing the placeable spawners [and traps] and they said that they were considering only allowing them in PvP basements. I personally think that limiting spawners to PvP basements would be a huge mistake.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Matt Harris, Nikko, Bigg and 3 others like this.
  8. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings all. Yes @DarkStarr has said many times that traps, monsters and puzzles for dungeons will probably be only for PvP due to the item being a player owned asset. Sort of like pets. The AI needs to be improved first so Pets can be autonomous but being a player asset it is like summoned pets. You can only use then against NPC or PVP. Personally I want the AI improved so that when someone does not buy anything from my vendor he smacks them ;-)

9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

With the new tech from the obsidian trials, if you could set a basement to those same PvP settings, I don’t really see that would be a problem.

blacksheepboy and Barugon like this.
  10. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

OMG!!!! Finally, something!

What is one of the first things I will do if this becomes reality? Make dungeons with BIGGER corridors (maybe 2 or 3 times as wide)! Seriously, dungeon corridors are so cramped - I can see this in some areas, but not in every area.

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yeah, this would be ok. They could just make basements no-loot.

blacksheepboy likes this.
  12. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yeah that would work. Though I forget if basements in POT count as no death penalty.

A simple use Obsidian Trial setting would be easy enough. That way you have a 100% risk free PvP zone that will actually appeal to people who will never PvP.

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Decay is not applied when you're killed by another player. That's everywhere, not just special zones.

Jaesun likes this.
  14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Ouch, let the griefing begin! Set up a nice Tier 2 dungeon, wait for the noobs to come explore it, then jump out and kill them all!

Might be worth considering making a 3rd flag, one for PvS Player Vs. Sandbox.

Cordelayne likes this.
  15. Bigg

Bigg Avatar

So this whole create your own dungeon is for PVP basements or PVP designated PoT's and PVP zones that have player housing? I don't quite understand sorry :(

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think that they should have another setting for basements like the PvP setting but for Dungeon. You would get a similar popup when entering but it would say that the basement is flagged as a dungeon and would warn about monsters and traps.

17. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

If I am recalling correctly, these are for PvP basements, from the last livestream.

However, with the introduction of the new Obsidian Trials area, they do have the ability to make a PvP zone that has no loss of items or decay penalty (this is how the new trials work. 0% chance of losing anything).

If we can have PvP basements with an option to use these new settings of the trials, you can make an inviting dungeon that probably most people might even try (since there’s 0% risk, other than dying with no decay penalty).

Of course until they can do this, most people probably won’t be visiting these (I won’t be).

Vladamir Begemot and Bigg like this.
  18. Bigg

Bigg Avatar

Gotcha, I'll probably just move my basement hatch into my house and lock the doors while I work on it then once I'm done move it back outside so that no one will go in it because it's a pvp basement lol /sigh. Would be nice if they could just make it a "dungeon" basement without the need for it to be pvp. I'd be much more motivated to seek out random peoples creative ideas

19. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

There are people who do PvP, and possibly they might come check your dungeon out.

Heck, they may go in there to hide. ;)

Bigg and Vladamir Begemot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.