Livestream Unity How To's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Proteus Tempest, Jan 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Since @Chris has opened up the possibility of player made dungeon rooms could we get some livestreams that show/give pointers to players?

The Devs do a great job of design but I think it is a tremendous opportunity for players to be able to add their own "Legacy" into the game in whatever form.

Being able to design a NPC was a great feature for early backers and designing ingame items would be equally awesome.

A livestream or more would be a neat way to introduce players into the realm of design. Some may find that it is easier than they thought while others only need a few pointers to get them going.

It would be something new in the area of livestreams anyway and may bring something fresh to the "silver screen".

Parson Barr and Titania Xylia like this.
  2. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

Yeah, I think this would be great.

I believe Port needs to clearly define any rewards there might be for creating assets for the game, but more importantly describe how things should be done:

• How should those items delivered to them? Make this clear and straightforward.
    • How do we get feedback on the asset so we can fix issues with the submission?
    • What elements should be considered when designing a room, item, etc.
    • How can we test and validate that a design is working properly, so the submission has sufficient quality to be taken seriously by the team
    • Create a list of dream elements that would really compliment the game, but port doesn't have time for (we know you have tons of ideas like crazy PoT maps), but there's no time
    If I were port, I would go further and give a tutorial of them creating a dungeon room or item and discuss what is most important with a design. Immersion, etc... Certainly live streaming creating a dungeon, having that evergreen tutorial on youtube will help you attract the right contributors and inspire some people to chip in.

Technically, I could build a room that looks like a high-tech cellar that would fit better in the Star Citizen universe. Where do I draw the line? Do I have access to Kobold assets like textures and shaders so that I can add those elements to a design (a more appropriate high-tech asset) that would fit in our world.

I think there could be some people that would like to contribute elements and even pick up unity and learn how to create game assets just to contribute, but I think Port has to go beyond a simple invitation. Spend some time showing us how you work, what game assets you would like to see built for the game, and, in general, create a more public forum and dialog for this activity.

I like the possibility of contributing to the game, but jumping in not knowing what types of dungeon rooms you want, not knowing how to ask for feedback(where do we talk about this on the forum) kinda kills the idea for me in the first few minutes.

Proteus Tempest likes this.
  3. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Perhaps if there was some interest within the player base we could have a help thread to chat back and forth so we could give advice or get help etc.

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

On that note, yes it was pretty awesome. There are in fact items currently in-game that were made by backers. I believe the picture frame used with the Novia map is one.. several of the weapon racks are mine :).. I believe the sturdy furniture was also player made.

They never did get the submission process finalized though. I'm not sure I ever knew all the details as to why it was shut down but I'm sure available manpower was one as well as technical issues.

Titania Xylia likes this.
  5. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

I'm not sure I agree with having Port teach people how to use Unity. By all means, post what specs are needed for acceptance, but I don't think spending any dev time is a good use of their funds.

Unity itself has a pretty good presence on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/Unity3D

But I'm not hardcore about it if that's what they feel is needed.

6. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

Not have Port teach unity, just have them walk through their workflow and how they make items. They don't have to stop and teach people how to use unity to make a chair. Simply make something dead simple, export it and send it to them.

But I'm sure port tests objects before placing them in-game, etc. What else needs to be done beyond creating the model that can be offloaded from Portalarium and save them time.

Proteus Tempest likes this.
  7. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

Or if those who build a dungeon would document the process that'd be cool. I think if we have access to the quest system with spawn points in our dungeons combined with deco ability there won't be much we can't do.

8. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

A group of players helping each other would be neat and very useful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.