Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Log Out Timer on World Map & in Towns

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Is it deemed necessary to have a timer when logging out on the world map? In instances is perfectly understandable even in single player but when there is guaranteed safety such as on the world map or for non-PvPers in town it becomes an unnecessary inconvenience does it not?

It's not really a big deal but as I logged out on the world map I became to wonder what purpose the timer served in that situation.

2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Its easier to implement one solution to all of the game, than to make exceptions.
    So since it is not detrimental to the players that the timer is on the overland as well it makes perfect dev sense.

Now in the future they have talked about pursuing a pvp target/enemy on the overland as well after they have fled from a scene. In that case it makes perfect sense that you could pursue them to overland and that they shouldn't be able to escape by loging out if you catch up with them.

KuBaTRiZeS, Mata and E n v y like this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The painfully obvious aside.. It's not a complicated check.. zone = overland map.. player not flagged PvP.. Depending on the code that's like.. 10 or 20 seconds worth of work to put that kind of check in. What I'm talking here is scenarios where the player is guaranteed to be safe. A non-PvPer doesn't have to worry about being chased around the map by PvPers.

FrostII likes this.
  4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Single player on overland being the most obvious "safe" scenario.

But, what is the use case for implementing it if there is no drawback for the player to leave it as it is?
    It used to be that you got an OK/Cancel screen anyway that was replaced with this Leave/Cancel screen, so it's not like you would have less clicks or anything.

5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Is this more painful than the random encounters?????

Mata likes this.
  6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Is there a better reason not to do it aside from "why bother"? Cause I'm not hearing it. If there's a good reason to not to allow a fast log out that's fine. Not being able to abuse log outs to avoid a losing fight is a good reason. Otherwise.. if there's no reason not to allow a fast log out.. then there doesn't need to be a timer on it.

I already said earlier it's not a big deal. I'm just talking principle here.

helm and FrostII like this.
  7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Are we talking about something different here?
    o_O

There is nothing preventing a "fast log out" in the current implementation. It takes exactly as much time as the last one. You simply click the Leave button instead in what used to be an OK button.

So which window are you talking about that is preventing a "fast log out"? Or is this some misunderstanding that you are sitting there waiting out the timer instead of just immediately clicking the button?

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It's an extra window that comes up after you click ok.. Are you sure you want to quit? click quit.. another window.. You will log out in 20 seconds etc etc.. Leave now. It's tedious when there's no need for it.

FrostII likes this.
  9. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I hate the log off timer. Not everyone who needs to log off quickly in a dangerous situation is a PVPer using logging out as an escape from death. I get called away from the computer suddenly at least 5 times during every play session. I used to be able to just click "log off" and continue in the same place when I returned. Now I have to let my avatar be killed by a wolf or spider even in places like North Valeway because I don't have time to run to the exit. I hate it that inconveniences for everyone keep having to be added to prevent people from using exploits.

helm and FrostII like this.
  10. agra

agra Avatar

Agreed. Unless you're in combat, it's an unnecessary annoyance.

Even if it was "if you're in combat or have been in combat in the past 5 minutes" that would still make more sense than the current mechanic.

11. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

You guy's are missing a huge point.... you can exit anyways.... If you chose to stay with your charicter that is on you. And if your wanting security for logging out. Make sure you log out while either invis or within your own house and the property locked. Locking your doors is an option people =)

12. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

THIS, THIS AND THIS ^^^^^^^^^^

Kara Brae likes this.
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

If you think we're missing the point.. you've missed the point. :) When there's no reason to have the extra step to log out.. there's no reason to have the extra step to log out. Ergo, it shouldn't be there.

agra and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.