looking for tips/suggestions to be a better avatar

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hsitirb, Feb 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hsitirb

Hsitirb Avatar

Hi all, I'm currently sitting around level 63/64. As far as quests go I've just completed all 3 path quests and my next story line quest is, I think, collect the lenses. I've tried equipping plate and now leather armor. I switch between bow and 2 swords and most of my skills in these are at level 75. Spells aren't really in the picture except healing and immolation, I like the tactics and subterfuge trees. I use a couple food buffs in combat but no plan, just what's available.

Now you know how I'm prepared - I have yet to kill a troll, I've killed 1 lich but had to bug out before looting it and can hardly survive tier 5 adventure areas' spiders, hardened skeletons, elder or obsidian creatures. Last couple ventures in tier 5 I was killed 3 times in less than 5 minutes before tucking my tail between my legs and leaving. I can almost handle tier 4 but have to approach extremely cautiously and can't take on more than 1 foe at a time. Tier 3 I can usually hack n slash into it but I'm sure it's not the best approach.

My question is how can I better prepare for tier 5 adventure areas? Watching things on youtube it seems like these guys waltz their way through. I need advice because I fear most of the story line quests are now taking me to tier 5 areas where many painful deaths await me.

For what it's worth, I've also switched to pvp mode for the xp bonus and so far have successfully avoided any pvp fights. Is this a bad idea?

Jikininki and Boris Mondragon like this.
  2. Yigg Endimion

Yigg Endimion Avatar

PM me in game, Yigg Endimion. Im online now, if you are available. I'll help you out however I can. Too much info, to post walls of text. Hope to hear from soon, take care and #1 rule.... Have Fun!

FrostII and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  3. Hsitirb

Hsitirb Avatar

I have to pick up my kid at his gf's house. Will be back and in game in roughly an hour and a half. If not I'll try and catch you tomorrow.
    and thanks

4. Yigg Endimion

Yigg Endimion Avatar

Lol awesome, I got a call right as I posted and have to run an errand as well. IlI' be back in an hour. I'm also on pretty much every day.

5. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

You should explore :)

Your flexible load out makes you an ideal explorer. There are a huge number of tier 1-4 scenes that are both interesting and beautiful.

Have you been to Sunless Barrens?
    South Drachvald Spur?
    North and South Midmart Way?

Have you explored the Ravenswood scenes? Small spoiler: watch out for caves!

Serpent Spine Foothills is an interesting nut to crack, but beware: the reward at the end is more than many can handle. Also, watch your step ;)

East Vauban will blow your mind. It's tier 5, so take a friend.

You're at that in-between stage of character development where you can have a blast almost anywhere in the world. Enjoy yourself, enjoy the beautiful scenes, do some quests.

You'll love it.

6. Katu

Katu Avatar

Do you use food/devotional buffs? If not, start using them.
    I'm adventure lvl 80, melee.

eat (as a melee, these are best for me):
    • Dragon stew ( +1.3 Combat Health Per Second for 8 hours, +1.3 Combat Focus Per Second for 8 hours )
    • Venison surprice ( +1.0 Combat Health Per Second for 4 hours, +0.8 Combat Focus Per Second for 4 hours )
    devotionals
    • Honor ( +1.5 Combat Focus per Second )
    • Sacrifice (+1.5 Combat Health per Second )
    These give you huge boost to survivability. They also lower your downtime ( the time, you have to wait for Hp/focus to start new fight )

Also, on top of these, you can get your hands on "Harp of Invigoration", giving you "+4 Focus Combat Regen, +4 Health Combat Regen, +8 Focus Regen, +8 Health Regen" for 30s

EDIT:
    Also, get anykind of chainmail(if magic)/plate ( when meleeing ) and put your money on weapons.

Yigg Endimion likes this.
  7. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Understanding the different gear types available and how the various bonuses affect what you're trying to do can make a tremendous difference in your performance, as well as a good deck rotation/use of stances, etc. Aside from that, of course, there's always "more xp, higher skills" but that tends to come with time, regardless of what you are doing. As others have mentioned there are a LOT of lower tier scenes that are lucrative in one way or another, there are various quests, etc. to do that will dish out bits of XP.

If you see me in game - Shimizu (friend me!) I'm happy to walk you through some things and/or take you with me on some of my whimcial directionless adventures of "Kill Evil, take its stuff" - I often have a group on the group finder thing called this or something similar. Getting involved with a good guild/group of regular people in your timezone can make a tremendous difference in opening up some of the game.

Yigg Endimion likes this.
  8. Hsitirb

Hsitirb Avatar

Have you been to Sunless Barrens? Is that where you get the lucky leather - yes
    South Drachvald Spur? I've been to one of the Drachvald a while back then tried the other and had to make a quick exit
    North and South Midmart Way? Not sure, name sound familiar but can't place it.

Have you explored the Ravenswood scenes? Small spoiler: watch out for caves! That's still unexplored

Serpent Spine Foothills is an interesting nut to crack, but beware: the reward at the end is more than many can handle. Also, watch your step ;) same

East Vauban will blow your mind. It's tier 5, so take a friend. haha, I tried the tier 5 to get the last original book and died so many times I was worthless to the party (one of the few party adventures - can count on 1/2 a hand)

Thanks for the advice - I'm going to check those I haven't been to out!

Jason_M likes this.
  9. Hsitirb

Hsitirb Avatar

That's interesting - Devotional buffs are something I didn't know about - how long do they last?
    Never had dragon stew - probably cuz I've run from most dragons I've encountered (all except the one's I wasn't fast enough to run from)
    The best food buff I have is wolf & mutton stew
    Again I had no idea that an instrument could help out - see this is exactly why I posted here to learn so tips and tricks!
    Thanks

Boris Mondragon and Katu like this.
  10. Katu

Katu Avatar

You can find the foods at any good market place, just note the price, as some ask way too much for those.
    Also, i have now started to use Wolf speed potion and Potion of might all the time. Health and focus potions to get you out of sticky situations is good also.

11. Hsitirb

Hsitirb Avatar

stances? Not sure about what that is
    Yigg, the first responder to this post invited me to his guild last night - not only are we in the same time zone it just so happens we live in the same greater metro area (opposite sides of town) He gave me tips on leveling up efficiently.
    The xp thing - that's why I went pvp. If anyone ever challenged me I know I'd lose real quick. Reading up on pvp, if I understand correctly the ransom is 50% of 1 equipped item and 50% of 1 non-equipped item while ransom is based on my level and value of random item(s) taken. Though I haven't fought pvp yet I feel I have enough $$ I could probably get my stuff back - hope I didn't under calculate. Probably cuss at myself when it happens too.

So today's plan. visit shrines, find better food buffs (if doesn't take too long a find at various vendors) then quick research on adventure areas listed above and/or complete the various armor quests. Something interesting, one the paths quests, my truth item was a 7.8. Oracle told me I was less than honest. Have an idea of a couple things where I ran into verbal exchange w npc (probably out of sequence) and said something I thought was true that turned out to be otherwise, eg was asked it I found evidence of elves plans to attack storm's reach and said I didn't find any. If I ran into the guy before entering mine I would have known what to look for and answer differently. Lost out on some honor there too. Also on that last path quest, I planned on fixing Samael's ring after. Turns out he won't take it now - I revisited him in Malice, Spite, and at the grave - bummer.

12. Hsitirb

Hsitirb Avatar

I have wolf speed and also use haste spell but it's still low level. I really like the imbued <sp> potions, have for health and focus but only have weakest restore.

Another thing I try to do but in the heat of battle forget most of the time - after 3 or 4 attacks hit the heal instead of waiting till my vision narrows and hear heart pounding and then try and multi heal --- gotta get better at that

13. Hsitirb

Hsitirb Avatar

I was using some metor plate earlier w/ (in my opinion) nice magic but thought it was slowing me down so switched to magic leather. I'm mostly using bow so I'll give that some thought. Not sure if they armor type had any affect on my speed may change back to plate later.
    Last night Yigg took a look at my equipment and said most was good and suggested a couple that needed improving.

Kind of excited to see how some of all your suggestions will change today's game play!!!

14. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Basically you are in good setup to accomplish the Oracle quest line. Just have to be patient and mindful of your surroundings. Majority of those scenes you can easily take a friend with you to get what you need. I know a few folk who did it with lower adventure level than you so I have faith you can do it. If not you can always ask for help. It just takes patience. If you got through the Virtue line then you should not have too much trouble. Good luck

15. Hsitirb

Hsitirb Avatar

Quick question - if my observation is correct you can only use 2 food buffs at a time. Does the same hold true for shrine buffs?

16. Hsitirb

Hsitirb Avatar

Sameal was my heavy hitter on the last path quest... couldn't have done it wo him. In fact had trouble getting to him after when trying to give him the ring in Malice

17. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Brother; if it’s swords and subterfuge or as I prefer tactics look up the advice of @Sara Dreygon, follow his advice on sword skills to raise and what stances and defensive buffs to use. He uses no magic but probably raised every magic tree for attunement which increases your resistance to magic spells.

I suggest Bronze or any other affordable chain mail for the meantime and sneak attack from subterfuge. Body slam is your opening bread and butter move from the heavy armor tree which will stun an opponent long enough for you to turn and sneak attack, thrust and double slash before they come out of it. The mindset is hit fast, hit hard and hit often.

I would prioritize raising swords, defensive stances and the life/fire trees first then the others. A good spot to work might be the twin foothills as it does not have mages or archers and has plenty of copper and silver. It also has trees and cotton. Those resources you can use or sell for in game gold which you can in turn use for armor and weapons. I would also leave ranged to the side until later on. I waited till I had every skill at the level I wanted in blades before picking up ranged as a situational skill.

Hope this bit of advice helps you. Feel free to friend me, Boris Mondragon in game and I can show you what I have written about here. Fair Winds and Following Seas to you brother.

R/Boris/El Pirata/Black Sails Forever.

Jaesun and Sara Dreygon like this.
  18. Armeleon Vesaz

Armeleon Vesaz Avatar

Some very general advice:

• Main stats are a big source of dmg and typically weighs much more than skill level. This also means gear is very important as gear is the best way to get main stats where as skills that give main sats are very limited and expensive exp-wise. Maximize the main stats for your budget and for a beginner gear ignore what material they're made out of and what other stats they have. Also means don't try mix and match physical and magic damage. You can always use the other type for defences though.
    • When making choices between offensive and defensive when building your character, as a rule of thumb best to focus on offense in gear choices and get the approriate defences from short to medium duration buffs you put in your deck.
    • The gains from increasing skill levels is squarerooted and the exp required is exponential. In short, this means you're almost always better off training a whole bunch of skills in a fairly balanced manner. Don't "waste" exp taking anything above 80 before everything you need or even kinda use are at 60-80 (all the passives from random trees included).

Jaesun, Sara Dreygon and Lazlo like this.
  19. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

That's correct: 2 foods, 2 devotionals = ready to play :cool:

20. Yigg Endimion

Yigg Endimion Avatar

2 food / devotional / blessings

Jaesun likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.