Loot Boxes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thadeus Crook, Nov 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thadeus Crook

Thadeus Crook Avatar

2. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I wonder if this refers to something I have come across: My grandson played Plants vs. Zombies when he was 7 years old and he always wanted to purchase some packs that would give him random abilities or skins. As soon as he had gathered enough points to buy the smallest pack he would, and he couldn't bring himself to save his points for something bigger. He constantly begged us to buy him more packs with real money, but we wouldn't.

FrostII, oplek and Lord of the Sheep like this.
  3. Lord of the Sheep

Lord of the Sheep Avatar

My neighbouring country Belgium has just outright banned them. And rightfully so, since they are a game of chance.

oplek, Astirian, Amelli and 2 others like this.
  4. Lord of the Sheep

Lord of the Sheep Avatar

The monetization of the Plants vs. Zombies 2 was embarassingly so.

Astirian likes this.
  5. Tabatha

Tabatha Avatar

Everything in life is a game of chance. A good lawyer could even argue if you buy SotA and fight monsters, it's a game of chance with your money on if you'll get something good or not compared to other people.

However, I doubt they can conclude lootboxes should be banned here. Because if so, then the next logical step is baseball cards, LOL dolls, ALL trading card games and so on. All those are is physical lootboxes and that would be insane to think those are bad. I could be wrong here and I hope I am.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  6. taxalot

taxalot Avatar

And the game itself is a lootbox. I funded hoping to get a complete single player experience, for example, and instead I got SOTA.

7. Lord of the Sheep

Lord of the Sheep Avatar

Game of chance; what I meant was over here it has to do with the legal definition of gambling. That is potentially addictive.

If a system consists of gambling, it has to have provisions like that you are able to exclude yourself from participating.

Amelli likes this.
  8. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

I believe there is a big difference in receiving real items compared to digital items. I don't see how those are comparable. IMO

9. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

There should be an Ultima VII dungeon called Lootbox. That's how seedy they are!

10. oplek

oplek Avatar

Good. It's a dangerous thing. That line is typically crossed when you're lured into repeatedly buying more instances trying to get those select few things you're after.

Buying a game like SOTA, and not getting what you wanted, doesn't qualify. Further, the fact a person can buy games that keep coming up short, is a condemnation of the gaming industry, not an affirmation of loot boxes. It's not okay.

Things like buying baseball cards... yes, that's problematic too. How much money have have these people blown trying to get something "valuable" by chance? The fact that you can't just straight-up purchase the thing you want, is part of the mechanism that lures you into draining your wallet.

"A game of chance" isn't enough of a qualifier for the problem. No one cares about "supply bundles" in SOTA, because you don't have people spending real-life $$ binge-buying them (yet). I've voiced several times that I think bundles should have a guarantee of something good in them.

The problem arises when the conditions are met:
    1) There's an random chance of getting something good.
    2) The circumstances surrounding it require or heavily encourage you opening your wallet on an ongoing basis.
    (whether the game itself is addictive so you spend too much time trying to farm supply bundles, for instance, is a different problem)

It's the sweet spot that many people are susceptible to. For all it's faults, I'm glad Port hasn't decided to try to exploit this glitch of human psychology.

11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I fail to see the connection to SotA.
    And the fact that lootboxes suck and got the banhammer in a couple of countrys is old news as well.

Barugon, Sentinel2 and Rowell like this.
  12. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

There are two things in SotA that, if combined, could make loot boxes. Supply bundles and a cash shop. But Portalarium is wisely not "crossing the streams". It would be bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.