Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Loot tweak request

Discussion in 'Release 42 Feedback Forum' started by Elwyn, Jun 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

The current state of low-tier chest loot (such as bandit encounters) is good, but I would like to request a small tweak.

Instead of nothing but gem fragments, could there be a chance of a whole gem in a loot slot? Say, 5%-10% of the chance of fragments, or maybe the same chance as a potion? (only one gem per slot, though, not multiples like with the fragments!)

Those fragments get a bit boring (not that I don't appreciate them for making glass panes, since you can't break a gem into fragments!), and it's also depressing to think that our bandits are so poor that all they have are little shards of gems.

fonsvitae likes this.
  2. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I agree that the chests in general need to be more exciting and rewarding, though I like the progress in this area in recent releases.

There is always the economy to consider though, as giving too good of loot will benefit people farming REs for 9 hours a day a lot more than average players.

3. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

The biggest problem with loot as I see it is that you can go into Soltown Catacombs, 1-shot a bandit and he drops a weapon you can sell for 10-15 gold, and 10-20 coins.
    Or you can go into a 5 skull zone, and kill a mob with 500 hp, and it drops the same thing: A weapon you can sell for 10-15 gold, and 10-20 coins.

Recent changes have made this worse, with the "new" weapons being added, such as katanas, khopeshes, clubs, etc. now, more often than not, the high tier mobs drop nothing but coins. They actually have worse loot than lvl 1 mobs. Adding new stuff that can drop patterns? Great. But since the pattern chance is <1% there's no reason to hose the drop chance as well.

Chests and such, yeah, not impressive, but agree that making them too nice will result in them being farmed. We've already seen this to be the case.

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

Well the game representation is a bit odd in a way that my sense is that what are called "gem fragments" are what we think of as normal sized gems, while the "gems" are the whole spikes we see jutting out of the wall of cave.

But I agree with you still in that getting a bunch of gem fragments from a chest isn't very exciting because they feel sort of worthless in small quantities.

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

And how about this... instead of finding regular gems in some drops like in chests.. how about finding jewel cut gems?

Of course, it would be limited enough in how they drop that alchemists are still useful for crafting gems into jewels.

6. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Because it's so easy to cut them, one-for-one from uncut gems. And which way do you want them cut: gem, jewel, warding? That means you would have 1/4 chance of even getting the cut you want. Fragments, on the other hand, take 400 of them to make one gem, and when you get 2-5 at a time, that's gonna take a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.