Lord British Requests: Advertise your Player Made Quests on your town BBS

Discussion in 'Portalarium Events & Calendar' started by Lord British, Apr 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord British

Lord British Lord British SOTA Developer

Lord British Requests: Advertise your Player Made Quests on your town BBS... and in this thread!

I love to visit player created play spaces. Whether these are mazes, puzzles, murder mysteries, haunted houses or other player created automated content. Despite still having only the simplest of tools, from props to notes and books, you are all already making some wonderful experiences.

I am reminded of the fantastic Halloween adventure with a radio broadcast accompaniment. This week I visited Zader's "treasure maze" in Novia Marketplace, Lily Bird's "Mystery" in Port Phoenix. And I want more! I expect there are already many more I just don't know of.

My request, is that towns that have these... and EVERY TOWN SHOULD... should make sure they are well advertised on the billboards in the fronts of your town, else how will folks (like me) find them!

In coming months, we plan to get you greatly improved tools for such activities. some examples are:
    1) "Deco Spawners" - harvest-able or purchasable items to drop in your PVP space that will spawn a number of creatures to challenge your visitors.
    2) "Deco Traps" - Craft-able or purchasable items that you can place in your PVP space that will challenge visitors to your space.
    3) "Conditional Gates" - Craft-able or purchasable items that will block a path, unless a condition is met, like learn the combination (from clues y'all leave), or insert gold or an item. [This would allow you to charge Entry Fees!]
    4) "Player Ratings" - I hope we can make your "Lot Markers" be an opt in ratings system, where those who opt in, can collect "likes" to their homestead. Well liked lots could then be "advertised" automatically in places like town criers or other places.

When this gets in, as well as rent-able theaters and coliseums, I believe you will be able to make ever greater experiences. I believe player created content will ultimately be one of the main attractions for visitors to New Britannia. I am very motivated to help unleash your creative talents, and make it rewarding to be a great creator!

- Lord British

2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Visiting Crooked Shank recently, this got me thinking (since the Mayor there stands before a bulletin board and points out items on it). I think there should be a special billboard linked to the Town Crier so he can actually "know" about upcoming events! This would allow POT owners to have the crier shout (/z) when an even is starting in an hour, for example. We'd just need some way to post "events" to this board, rather than just pinned notes.

3. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

Could we also get some spawners for non-PVP spaces such as: (1) Travelers and/or Citizens to make POTs feel more alive, (2) critters and animals (cats) to add fauna, and (3) mobs (bandits, kobolds, etc.) to create POIs in unused spaces and/or support the story of the town?

4. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

They've said mobs will only be in PVP spaces, to prevent them from being used against other players in what they should consider a safe place (i.e., a town). Really, the other items you ask for should be possible; random non-combat NPCs with little to no interactivity.

Lord British, Numa and hroth like this.
  5. Lord British

Lord British Lord British SOTA Developer

Great idea. Same class of stuff, I suspect. Will explore.

6. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

While this is a great idea and I'm all for it( this kind of dynamic player made content WILL be another feather, along with housing in the games cap), this iteration/idea sounds tailored for POT owners and not the average player ( most remember don't even own property, let alone property with a large enough basement for any kind of worthwhile content imo). It will be a shame to lock 95% of your property owning player base out of something like this as they will jump at the chance to do the same.

I personally would sell something like a basement( there's not many basements at present that really are useful imo to making something like this from), which is of a design that it is easy to make a scene from, empty and large with a number of floors. It doesn't have to comply to the size of the property it is attached to, think the Tardis, else this will still be only applicable to town size property owners and above. Something sold for coto's or even in store that all house owners can use and be on an equal footing. Ideally/My Dreams it could be a scene a bit like maybe an underground POT but smaller (maybe :)), this would be ideal content to encourage participation in E2 funding I'm sure.

Also, think big and take your time implementing it. Personally i would rather see a finished system when it goes in rather than in piecemeal fashion, which helps garner negative views.

Overall though this is the kind of meat on the bones i want to see in E2 and beyond.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Lord British, Numa, Womby and 2 others like this.
  7. greenerpastures

greenerpastures Avatar

There is a quest in Rauchbier Platz at the newly opened Museum of Virtue, Chaos and Brewing that was not found during the opening ceremonies last week, but I have added a flyer to the town bulletin board, other signage, and more notes in the museum about it. A mystery is brewing...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  8. Kaffien

Kaffien Avatar

Blue Rose Isle, Crafters Town, Black Rock Cove
    It'd be great if players could also offer rewards for completing challenges. Ie make a player quest to bring them a +10 Halberd.
    Then they would receive gold or 100 silver ore.

The prize / reward would be supplied by the person putting on the event.
    They would have to supply an escrow of the quest rewards / gold or else the quest would not be available or something.

Lord British and hroth like this.
  9. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

I love these ideas, @Lord British. I've gotten hooked visiting Blood Bay now that I own an inn there (free housing for everyone in Blood Bay!) and I like your emphasis on PvP which truly holds some promise in emergent player-crafted quests with the ideas of humans (like Governor Harriote Hausen) playing their part rather than relying strictly on NPCs.

I have loved player-developed quests ever since the days of LpMUDs wherein getting to Wizard status allowed a player their own scratchpad and domain for quest development.

How about:

(4) Seconding @Kaffien's ideas on some sort of device to reward quests with loot and/or gold. Sort of the opposite of the "Conditional Gates" (conditional input) it would be more like a conditional output.

(5) An NPC dialogue system (maybe some simple form of the tool @Lum the Mad uses) where we can craft simple NPC dialogue for the player to speak with. Obviously a big ask ... but I think having players able to infuse NPC conversations in a quest will take Player-Developed quests potentially to an incredible height.

Cheers,

Ben

10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

When I think about the future of interactive player created quests/events, I think more like in "The Diamond Age", where they are live and dynamic and then finished, not just pre-setup quests that are similar to developer created ones. Of course the latter is exciting, but please give us the power for complex real time interactivity.

For instance, my favorite Quest/Event to date was the Murder Mystery Night at Vertas Chaos.

It was overwhelmingly popular, which kind of brought the whole thing down. Communication pipelines weren't up to the task and the ability to check on players current status in the quest chain didn't exist. They did an admirable job of trying to work around the system, and it was a fun night. The listed quest tools in the original post could be used as well, but I think they will still be too static to really unleash our inner Murder Mystery Night. For that we need some tools that are a little more creator/player centric.

The ability to assign temporary journal entries/other players to mark them done. Specifically this helps with dialog but will obviously become used for much more.

For example, the quest creator says "We've had a murder, these are the different people who were around, here's the places that things happened."

That person then "gives" the gathered detectives some tasks, such as "interview the suspects."

The quest creator has somehow linked these tasks to the appropriate suspects/players who will play their parts. Perhaps by giving them an item that is tied to the specific task.

The players go around and do the interviews. They talk with the other players, the "suspects". Once the suspect is satisfied that they have been interviewed properly, they are able to check off the task on the detectives task list, but only the task they have access to.

So if you are supposed to interview 5 people, and only get to 4 of them, those 4 will have checked off your tasks, and the fifth won't have.

The quest creator is able to check these when the detectives come back, and see if they are checked off.

Additionally, they need to be able to make hidden tasks. So you interviewed all these people, but you did a lousy job and didn't find anything out. But someone else really gave them the third degree, and found out suspect #3 did such and so. Suspect #3 then flags the secret objective as done "He found me out," or even assigns another task, go check behind the dresser.​

Why not just do it by handing out notes? How many do you make? Even if it goes easy, lets say you plan and get 30 players. If you've got 5 suspects, each with a "I've been interviewed" and a "Here's another clue" paper, you're printing 300 notes! What if its super popular and you don't have enough notes? Start turning people away?

Not to mention, Task Fulfillment feels good, it's great when that little check box checks.

Players need to be able to either click on something to have it marked and checkable by the quest giver, or take a quest only copy that doesn't remove it from the world (like in dungeons, I take a candle, you still see it and can take it). This way they can prove that they found the murder weapon, the dagger left by the quest maker. Putting 50 daggers in a trunk for every player to take one will feel weird. And how awesome is it if you can take the dagger that you found behind the bookcase?

So quest maker can either check you found the dagger because you hand it to him, or it's marked somehow in a way the quest maker can check that yes, you double clicked on the dagger and thus found the murder weapon.
    Sorry it's a long rambly text.

Lord British, majoria70 and Numa like this.
  11. redfish

redfish Avatar

For example, something I'd like for my POT is for goose to be in the main streets, and others might want for instance chickens.

I think there was some talk about incorporating this with an animal husbandry system. But I'm thinking in terms of spawners, because the idea would be to place them for atmosphere, not resource harvesting. Sort of like Owl's Head has a replenishable supply of chickens roaming the streets there (and sheep, etc).

So whatever would need to be done to make this work, even if a player killing the roaming animals would take a virtue hit.

Lord British likes this.
  12. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

Does all the Royal Mail end up w/ the Jack of Diamonds fence? Perhaps some type of accessible bulletin board or system can be placed in Brittany for those hoping to potentially receive a Royal visitation to their project(s).

Great ideas here in the thread.

13. Albus

Albus Avatar

I like the ideas, except for spawns being tied to PVP exclusively. I recall one of the hangouts mentioned POT's having creatures spawn in open areas away from lots, not sure if that is still on the table independently or if this would replace that? POTS not full of lots everywhere could benefit from some wilderness/monster spawn development, keeping it away from the lots a ways should prevent unwary players from getting "ganked" by monsters when they think they are entering a safe space. Perhaps towns could have a warning flag akin to the pvp flag, only "Danger: Monsters can attack you here!" along with a skull marking the levels of creatures or some such. But back to the original idea, definitely in favour of player-made questing utilities :)

cartodude and Womby like this.
  14. Womby

Womby Avatar

You might try looking at the noticeboard outside Vyrin and Womby's bookstore in Central Brittany. There is a quest that starts there.
    Or, if you like searches, you could try the noticeboard outside Vyrin and Womby's bookstore in New Britannian Market.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  15. redfish

redfish Avatar

Some things I would like, btw, as someone who plans to make player quests:

- Improvements for the book system. I would really like to be able to set the Author field as different from the crafter. That way, I would be able to place "lorebooks" in a library that could start players out on quests, or mysterious notes, with some feeling of authenticity. If all the books on a questline or in the library have the name of my primary character, it makes this difficult.

- Treasure containers like chests that could only dole out one item per-player, or by other parameters, like even with a set spawn time.

- Placing passages between different basements or basements and houses, ie like escape routes. Hopefully this will come when we have tools to build custom dungeons !

- If you get some good physical map system back into the game, custom maps would be good for quests, too.

Cordelayne, Sir Frank and Womby like this.
  16. Womby

Womby Avatar

Agreed. I have been asking for this for a long time, as a way to reward players.

Cordelayne and Sir Frank like this.
  17. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yes, but not just to reward players -- but for "quest items" too...

So, for instance, I've been thinking about how to do a system where people can check out books, or maps, etc. from a library for free, without making it so that one player can just take all the books and prevent everyone else from getting them. Ideally, this might be done through a vendor or sorts ("librarian"), but it could also be done through a kind of a book chest. However, you have to make it so a single player can only take one.

Also, the same system could apply to any type of "quest item" given out.

The spawner would of course make more sense for rewards and treasures.

Womby likes this.
  18. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

19. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

It was a great pleasure meeting you the other night in NYC. I am reminded of rpota.com, a site @Elgarion maintains. In it you may find additional quests players have created. I mention this because I know some of them are older, and maybe the authors haven't seen your post. It's also a great site with a lot of player-created lore.

20. Numa

Numa Avatar

If a basement is tagged as PvP in a non-PvP POT, I'm assuming a mob-spawning deco spawner be deployed within? Would be nice to have a maze with chests and prizes there provided you evade the mobs :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.