1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Lord British's Virtuous R4 Impressions

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lord British, Apr 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord British

Lord British Lord British SOTA Developer

Release 4 seemed to be the most challenging to date, at least internally. We had more than the usual last minute scramble, and plenty of debates about what was ready, what wasn’t, and what we still needed to fix before we went live. But once again, I am VERY proud of the team, and that they pulled off so much of what we had hoped to accomplish.

Even more importantly, everyone seemed to have a great time playing throughout the weekend, and enjoyed both stable service and cool new content. I had a great time getting to adventure with so many of you! It’s very clear that we are starting to see a REAL GAME come together!

There is still lots of work to be done; filling in data behind the systems we have stubbed in, polishing the UI and fun factor for crafting, foraging, fighting, conversing… But, I grow in confidence that we are on the right fundamental track.

I am also now hearing far more community suggestions for features and fine tuning that are actionable, as our long term vision comes into focus, which is great! For me, the biggest problems we now face is creating compelling combat, and the vast amount of content still needed for the maps, missions and NPC’s planned for the next phase of development. Fortunately, as our community continues to grow, we may be able to hire a person or two to make more and better content on that front. THANK YOU AGAIN and I’ll see all of you in R5!

Bimmer, Mata, ChadRiden and 58 others like this.
  2. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Thanks, RichardGarriott, and official Team! I had a blast, and did not want to leave. I haven't had those feelings since back 'in the day' of early UO!

Here it is: Avatars! Remember this time as 'the time of your life' in gaming! Time of Your Life - Click Me! If you never played UO in the early days, you may not understand, but trust me!

Lyrics of Time of Your Life – Green Day
    Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road
    Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go
    So make the best of this test, and don’t ask why
    It’s not a question, but a lesson learned in time
    It’s something unpredictable, but in the end it’s right.
    I hope you had the time of your life.
    So take the photographs, and still frames in your mind
    Hang it on a shelf in good health and good time
    Tattoos of memories and dead skin on trial
    For what it’s worth it was worth all the while

3. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

It was rather cool chatting and running around killing elfs with Lord British this weekend.
    I will admit to trying to PK him tho. I couldn't help myself - Darkstarr made me do it! :D

4. lanica

lanica Avatar

Truly exciting. Thanks for all you guys do, as this is the most exciting thing going on in the gaming industry (as I also said in the dark one's post).

Fireangel likes this.
  5. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

my liege :)
    (I've always wanted to say that)

Bodhbh Dearg and Fireangel like this.
  6. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

I am so sad I had to miss this one! I look forward to our one-day 'reprise' on the 7th, and to all the amazing things yet to come. I have not heard anything that is worse than an 'aw, that's too bad, maybe later'. I think this really will be the ULTIMATE RPG!

Bodhbh Dearg, Olahorand and Fireangel like this.
  7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

From someone on deployment with the military, I have to say I really wish I could have seen this one...

8. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Thank you for your service, rune_74. God bless you real good.

9. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

We got ya covered rune. Screenshots galore and descriptive prose in the forums!

10. iwanbo

iwanbo Avatar

Had an absolute blast this past weekend exploring all the new goodies to play with. I thought it was a rather big jump in improvements over R3, so I am eagerly looking forward to R5.
    It's been quite a while since I've been this excited for a game, and despite the backlog of games I have to play, all I want to play is more SOTA.

Olahorand and Fireangel like this.
  11. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Unfortunately we upgraded our explorer to version 8 on ship(I know hehehe) and it doesn't allow pictures on this forum anymore:(

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I had a lot of fun, but wish I could have played more. Never got to see the elves. I also wished I had recorded my epic fight with the Lich as I had to AFK for like an hour while fighting him. I bet he was like... "You better not stand up again... ARG this guy won't die!" :)

13. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Thanks to Lord British, DarkStarr and the whole Dev Team! I had a great time in R4. I really enjoyed meeting new people and adventuring in the scenes. There's so much space and so many places for ideas and 'content', it makes my head spin. I really think your team is headed in the right direction! I can almost see what it will be like at the 15th anniversary, and when we all meet for that anniversary! .... "Hail Lord British... remember when we jumped in the river in R4? Lot has happened since then!"

14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I had to show self restraint and miss this one myself. It seems SOMEONE other than myself not only used up all our bandwidth but exceeded their usual over use by x2. Data limits bite. I can't wait for this stupid contract to be over and hopefully get back on DSL. only about 15 months to go. *sigh*

Time Lord, Bodhbh Dearg and Fireangel like this.
  15. Lord Stein

Lord Stein Avatar

Thanks Lord British for everything.. Just to see you in game a few times over the weekend was fantastic..the game is coming along great..The team is outstanding..you can feel the dedication and passion, to make this the best virtual world ever.
    For all of us old school gamers..its a dream come true! See you Monday..and in R5!!

Zandaro, Royou, Bodhbh Dearg and 2 others like this.
  16. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

I just have to say a huge THANKS to @RichardGarriott and ALL the dev team. It was an absolute blast.
    As someone who had never tried an online game before, let alone a MMO, I have to say I'm hooked. The fellowship and sense of community is amazing, and it's fun just "hanging out". Not only that, but I was invited on a lich run with @Winfield, @Violation, @Fireangel and @Pandora Boxx. What an experience - never would have made the Throne of Bone on my own!!
    I'm almost a "lifer" when it comes to playing the Ultima series, and more and more it feels like coming home. I really didn't want to leave New Britannia, and from what I've seen so far I have absolute confidence that this will be a game to beat all others.
    Roll on R5!!!!

17. Floors

Floors Avatar

Hmm, we may have missed our chance.

R4 may well have been the last time Lord British wasn't invulnerable !

Canterbury and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  18. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

Bodhbh Dearg, tradyblix and Fireangel like this.
  19. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

The Bear Tavern went on its first Militia Raid to thwart the evil Lich Lord with great success. A really nice update!

The Bear Tavern Lich Run Pics

20. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

Glad to see someone kicked its butt, I just ran away like a scaredy cat!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.