Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Losing collectible perks (RF creature: chest) and tamed animals to poor taming flow and UI

Discussion in 'Release 26 Bug Forum' started by Phydra, Feb 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phydra

Phydra Avatar

2/20/2016 1:03 PM

Title: Losing collectible perks (RF creature: chest) and tamed animals to poor taming flow and UI

Reproduction Rate: 100%

Blocker? N/A

Details: Ok, this is going to be long, so bear with me.

Was collecting materials in Elenvees and realized I had taming collars with me! Hurry, now I can FINALLY try taming (Took me until now to even be able to make the dang things).

I tame a sheep.... hurray!
    I'm skilling up.... hurray!

I go to look at my inventory to see the sheep and what (if anything) they sell for.... and I see nothing. Puzzling. Why is there nothing there?

I double check my skill ups and sure enough, I should have five sheep.

But I don't.

I ponder. I wonder if maybe the whistle I'm wearing (I think it sounds so cool that I'm wearing one as a necklace and can call this chest. Mostly because I remember my first time being surprised by one.).

I check my paperdoll and hover over the chest and, to my horror, see:

Royal Founder Royal Artisan Taming Creature Call (sheep)
    Necklace
    Summons a tamed creature (Sheep).
    Weight: 0.1
    No Value​

At this moment, the following realizations occurred:

1. Oh. Tamed creatures are stored IN the necklace.
    2. Oh. That means you need a whistle for each taming attempt.
    3. Oh. That also means those 5 sheep not only over-wrote one another, they overwrote my chest mimic, too.

This is a punitive means of delivering vital tutorial information. I choose to think it is a bug or unintended effect of not locking the collectible necklace as special.

I've already had someone say, "Well, I never had that problem - in fact, I overwrite it all the time; isn't that it's intended purpose?

My response? Intended behavior is unknown and if unintended, not clearly communicated as such. This creates confusion. This causes errors. This causes avoidable errors. This causes avoidable errors that are never communicated to you as being possible.

Not sure, obviously, if this is intended or not. All I know is I lost something important to me and have no way to get it back. :( Good thing there's another wipe ahead.

Please consider warning a player when they are going to lose something collectible rather than assume they know this will be the outcome.

And yes, sure, for those who may need to hear it - I'm clearly impaired for not realizing this so very obvious thing. Thanks for reminding me, I might have forgotten. (wry grin)

Steps to Reproduce:

Refer to above tale.

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5960X CPU @ 3.00GHz (16) System RAM: 6523
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X GPU RAM: 12176
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.381.Date.02.17.16
    Area: Novia_R5_Encounter_Plains02_05
    Loc: (6.9, 37.5, -36.5)

Duchess Fionwyn likes this.
  2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thanks for the feedback! You're right! For a new system still in development flux like Taming, there's quite a few things we would like to make more player-friendly and apparent. For instance: You'll be happy to know your chest mimic is not gone. It's hiding beneath the sheep. Summon the sheep with your Offer necklace, kill it (make a nice stew), and once it's permadead, your necklace will be back at its default state containing the Chest Mimic.

Thanks for reporting.

Duchess Fionwyn and margaritte like this.
  3. Phydra

Phydra Avatar

Thank you! May I make one last suggestion for consideration when working further on taming and in particular, it's UI? (Assuming yes... sorry... but only a little!)

Have some manner of on_hover presentation of exactly what is "inside" the whistle.

I had absolutely no idea that creatures "stack" inside a whistle. Naturally, I want to know "how many" can you so stack.... but that's for another thread, another time. :)

Thanks again!

4. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

They don't typically. It's more like... every whistle has their default state. The normal whistles are default as empty and the offer whistles are default with a Chest mimic. You can use either to tame a new creature, but losing that creature will always return it to its default state. For the offer calls, it's the Chest Mimic and for normal whistles it's simply empty. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.