Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Lost

Discussion in 'Release 16 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

One of the key's to communication is to always check the transmitter first before you blame the receiver.

It's a basic principle often overlooked by the smartest of people.

2. Drocis the Devious

It may just be me then. Perhaps I'm the only one that gets lost on the map.

Or perhaps the people that get lost don't come to the forums and tell us about it because they decided that they don't have any intention of being further frustrated. It's hard to gauge this - sincerely - so I would say it's dangerous to develop a game assuming that the navigation is seen by others the way you see it.

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Perhaps.. but if someone is going to give up playing a game because they can't be bothered to pay attention to where they're going and learn their way around.. then they probably aren't going to stick around for very long in the first place.

I mean it hasn't been a full day and you're complaining about getting lost. This game is meant to continue for years.

now again.. I'm not saying improvementes aren't called for. But is getting lost on the first day that big of a deal? When we know it's first iteration. If we are all getting lost in beta I might be a tad concerned. But when I get lost.. I figure it out and get unlost.. learn my way around.. remember what things look like and then not get lost anymore.

4. Drocis the Devious

If you go back to the OP you'll see this is more than just "getting lost". I'm ok with getting lost. I'm not ok with being trapped in a loop of lost.

I'm not ignorant of the game or the way it works. I know the lore about as well as anyone. I've had the Novia map as my desktop for months. I played all the releases and finished all the tour guide quests in the first hour of every release.

So if I'm telling you this is frustrating - it is.

5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I kinda like the new compass location thingies - with a big reservation.
    It better be tied to an ingame item and/or skill or I'll huff and I'll puff.
    ;)

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Are you telling us there is a bug whereby you literally cannot get unlost? Cause the OP left me with the impression that the map didn't have enough distinguishing features to which it would be nearly impossible to get lost.

7. Discovereuse

Discovereuse Avatar

I feel really stupid. I can't figure out how to get to any of the new areas. I am stuck without the Lunar Rift in Owl's Head and am very tired of trying to run around the map just to be blocked by mountains. What am I missing? Any suggestions?

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Can we assume you are on the Novia map? Where exactly are you trying to go?

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Do you know about the boats in ardoris and kingsport? and welcome to shrouds Discovereuse. That is a bit tricky until you are told about them. You just double click on them. Also Kingsport is South by the water.

10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Tell us what you are looking for and we might be able to help you more effectively.
    But the first tip would be to check out the maps on

11. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

I'm in game in a new place if you want to /zone Balec deCani

12. Drocis the Devious

I would suggest watching the Mad Hermitt's R15 video. It will give you some ideas of how to get around. He doesn't yet have an R16 video up yet.

I would also suggest asking one of the tour guides about the current tour and then clicking on each site, that will give you information about where the new areas are.

And I'd recommend zoning to Balec deCani. He's a good guy.

Balec Fares deCani likes this.
  13. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

If you are in Novia nd want to get to some of the old areas, they are tied into the newly released areas. Head to Solace Bridge and go trhough Grunvald. The other route is through the Brightbone pass. If you are having problems I'd suggest a quick search for sota maps in a good search engine. You'll find some excellent examples that will help you navigate around the area. The old areas can be found in some pretty logical spots.

14. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

My suggestion is simple:

Open the compass. You know where it says Novia? It should say "Novia: Perennial Coast" or "Novia: REGION_NAME".

Another idea is to take what's now been implemented and add it for major cities like Adoris (or the main destination of said region?) and the town/city where your main home is location. This way you can always follow the compass to Adoris.

It was no problem in the Hidden Vale but I agree that Novia is huge and having some information about what part of the world you are in will go a long ways.

15. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

It's hard to articulate it, but I get this feeling in that area that we travel faster north/south than east/west. I kept plugging my co-ords into that interactive map and was surprised how fast I seemed to be moving sometimes.

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well.. maybe it's me.. but having been all around north of Grunvald now I still don't see what the big deal is. But then I guess there's a reason I play ranger type characters. It would seem a bit off if I got lost easily as a ranger.

I had no problem at all. I found the terrain distinct enough. Could see far enough away.. though yes not being unable to tilt up does feel restrictive but there are technical issues with that the devs probably don't want to deal with.. such as keeping the camera from cutting through terrain.

Have to remember also.. every area label is also a landmark that basically says "you are here".. once more areas are in it will be much easier to learn your way around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.