Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Lot Decay

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by rune_74, Aug 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I meant that if someone just logs on claims a house plays for an hour or so and that's it...gone. I think it is pretty obvious in your case it is being used.

2. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

There are TONS of spots all over. If you're bummed that some sweet spot in Owls Head is taken and you're unwilling to live in an NPC town, or make arrangements to live in a POT, then it's hard to be sympathetic.

I've often missed getting a preferred spot. I've never been unable to find a lot in a decent location.

Ice Queen likes this.
  3. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

So how is your proposed lot decay algorithm going to tell the difference between that sort of player and someone who plays a lot and is just away for a couple of weeks? Count the hours of playtime over some longer period? What would that period be? How would you avoid the same arguments over the decay of that period?

Two weeks is long enough to fit most people's holidays (which will be the most common interruption) and gives anyone with more complex requirements (e.g. health related as above) a simple and straightforward target work with.

BTW, I did log on earlier this week while on holiday, but since R21 has come out it turns out that free hotel wi-fi isn't up to the task of downloading 1.6GB of game data within a reasonable timeframe :(

Budner likes this.
  4. Majestic

Majestic Avatar

Cheers, thank you!

5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Hey maybe it is better then before...but it never used to be able to get any lots at all.

I'm not sure why people feel this is taking away from someone....I guess it is the mentality of the whole you must pay to get this here.

6. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

I don't assume that this proposal is taking away from anyone. I just do not assume that people can play everyday or on a set schedule due to personal reasons. Two weeks is not an eternity to wait. It's a reasonable time frame when people can enjoy (or not:rolleyes:) RL and come back to gaming.

Especially since there are a lot of other places that are now available. Ardoris did not fill up completely on release right away. It still had more than a few lots available after the release this time. Probably due to all those PoTs that are now coming in. It'll have more that becomes available as it gets on later in the month. It's two weeks if they don't log. Lots of other things that can be tested in those two weeks. The house in town would be convenient but there are other places that still seem to have quite a few openings if necessary in the meantime. :)

7. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

So...I'll cop to it...sometimes I'm dense. At my age I'm entitled to be dense. That said here's my nooblet question. Are there actually enough available lots currently to match the number of deeds sold? I have 2 accounts (as of telethon day) but I haven't played in a long while; RL has had me tied up. Anyway, I've traipsed all over the map and while I have no problem at all finding available lots of the village size I can not, for the life of me find a row lot. I DID get all excited today when I was in Ardoris(sp?) and it was showing all these available row lots...I walked to the first and I was like.. Dayum... I get a sea view! then I realized (after obstinately walking around to several more) that it was a lil ole buG messin with me.

I would however like to plant me roots for the account which I upped to Navigator.

Hey I know it's pre ALPHA... so jus asking

8. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

You have to be lucky to get a Row lot in any of the NPC towns. The chances are better in Ardoris simply because it is the largest town. You have to check every day because lots become available as ownership expires due to inactivity.

There are row lots available in Player-Owned-Towns, however. There was a recent post by someone in the same situation as you and several POT owners chimed in and said they have free Row lots.

As more towns are added to the game, more Row lots will be available. By the time the game releases, there will be a sufficient number of Row lots in NPC towns for all Row lot owners. The Devs have stated that no one will be obliged to live in a POT to get a lot.

Solazur and 4EverLost like this.
  9. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Thanks Kara! That's pretty much what I thought.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    Kara Brae likes this.
  10. amaasing

amaasing Avatar

So here are my observations from actively watching lots that are decaying. The owner only logs back into the game within hours of when the lot will expire and then they log out never to be seen again until the next release. These players, regardless of where the lot is (Prime Location, Crappy Location, NPC, or out in the woods somewhere) have no intention of testing / playing / or anything else. They just tie up a lot. It's a mentality that I just don't understand neither do I condone. Regardless of where the lot is, please don't grab a lot at the beginning of a release, set your calendar to tell you when you lot is hours from expiring, log in just to reset the timer, and never come back for 2 more weeks. There are definitely lots of players that do this every release - and it's the same players each release.

Can we stop them? Of course not. But I do understand what the OP is saying....As a community we either need to ask them to not do that or lower the decay time. The issue is that if that is the way they intend to act, they will just login in once a week and still tie up a lot with absolutely no intentions of testing or playing. And for those of you who repeatedly do this (and you know who you are), then shame on you.

Kara Brae likes this.
  11. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

-sigh- I agree with you 100% but please let's not start lobbying to lower the decay/fade/rot time for homes. I know I am not the only one that plays in bursts. Meaning, I will play and play and play as much as I can in my free time which is a lot, but there will be times when it is impossible for me to be around for days maybe a week or two at a time. I don't feel like otherwise diligent players should be penalized. Especially those in active military service or those with medical issues.

4EverLost likes this.
  12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You do realize that I am talking about the testing period, not after release.

13. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

Test like you wana play ... who says you have to be the one to test that land ? you are not entitled to any spot anywhere in the game.... Sorry but it works just fine as is .... if anything i would say it needs to be 1 month.

Edit the only place you are entitled to have a say about the land is in a PoT that you own .... so unless you own a PoT .... you need to deal with it and move on.

GameOgre likes this.
  14. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

Uh, yeah. I do realize that, thank you. And my reasoning still stands. I am more inclined to test things if I don't have to return after a brief absence to find all my housing crap reset. ;)

15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Wow.

Did I say I was entitled?

I just said it would be nice to get to try things....really over the top response.

Free to disagree, don't need the attitude personally.

amaasing likes this.
  16. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

No you did not say you were entitled but you are acting entitled .... There is plenty of land to test on if you so wish to. Just because you can't get in owls head doesn't mean that you can't test houseing. So yes you come off very entitled because you feel that you should be able to get a lot in Owls head and you deserve it more because the log in once a week and you play all the time.

This is very passive aggressive in stating you feel entitled to that land.... Sorry if your offended for me calling a spade a spade.... I personally offended by your entitled statements for i have worked hard building the connections i have to be able to have what i have. I am sorry if you feel that someone logging in once every two weeks isn't enough to maintain their claim on a lot. Have you ever heard of the phrase Train like you want to fight? Well this is kind of the same mentality for the developers. They don't care about your personal greivance about not finding a plot to your likings. They care about the system as a whole. They are going to build the system to the standards they are going to release. If you so desire said plot .... play solo. You'll be the only one in town and have all the plots to your self.

17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Whatever...that wasn't my point, and I never said owls head....have a nice time.

It was a suggestion that's all, you being like this about it is rather over the top.

I was under the impression there weren't that many lots available still...and it was a suggestion. To get all bent out of shape like this is over the top.

Seriously, what the on earth?

18. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

Again passive aggressive response .... Forgive me for just being aggressive aggressive ... if it is not owls head that you are looking for then there are TONS's of lots .... Braemar .... Adaris .... you name it ... there are lots all over the place but the only place that your complaints would hold weight would be Owls Head where all the traffic and prestige of having a house happens to be in the current state of the game.

Hell if your looking for a place to put a lot down ... i'll even give you a plot ? what size would you like ?

If you would not like a house there i can connect you to someone who has a Metropolis PoT right next to Owls Head.... So if your just looking for a place to call home i would say look a little harder. If you are looking for that lot that has prestige and high traffic.... your on your own....

19. Mastese

Mastese Avatar

Dude...seriously...relax. You are coming off as a jerk, which I'm sure you truly aren't.

I think rune has a point. We're in pre-alpha. Being a temporary state as it is, I think it's appropriate to accelerate lot decay to give more people opportunities to pop into a spot (or variety of spots) and to encourage more consistent activity. Apart from real life aomolies, if you aren't active even moderately for 7 to 10 days to 14 days...you really don't need the placeholder lot anyway.

For gods sake...we will be wiping again in the not too distant future...so nobody should get too upset about losing their oh-so-temporary lot if the haven't peeped in in a week. Plus, more than likely, if you lost your lot under these conditions, you yourself would find a new one as well fairly rapidly.

Now...once we get out of testing at to release, I agree...2 weeks may be too short. But for now, let's turn over that real estate.

amaasing and rune_74 like this.
  20. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I own a plot....I'm that high of a backer...it was just an idea...you need to calm down.

Think you need to read up on what passive aggressive is.

Thanks, it was just an idea and I'm getting outright attacked over it...sheesh keep y our damn lots hehehe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.