Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Lot Restrictions - You can do better

Discussion in 'Release 17 Feedback' started by Myrcello, May 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Hello all.

I am annoyed by the Lot Restrictions

1. Magic Barriers that have no logical ingame Reason are silly.

All they do is destroying my freedom.

I had to move around ingame on many invisible areas ruining a little more of immersion in this game.

Why not a plain simple solution that is logical?

Lockable Door! Problem solved. Realistic and a House has a realistic purpose - Privacy.
    [​IMG]

In real live i also can't have a Magic Barrier for my garden.

Who needs that and why?

Why did the Dukes need protective Walls, Or Wizards a teleport to the Protective Top.

Hahaha, i only activate Lot Restriction you high pledger and my lot is just as save as your high guard protection Lord of the Manor Walls. They have no purpose anymore thx to Lot Restriction.
    But i think they should!

You should totally think the other way:

Recommendation:

1. Lot Access restriction is only within Buildings.

2. Think of the future thief i hope you implend and would ad the fun of: We owners have tools, traps, guards, Locks to secure normal items vs thiefs trying to break in.

3. If somene wants privacy also in a garden then he needs to build a high fence and lock the gate.

4. Give NPC Thiefs, Monsters, Zombies the option to come at night into our towns and then the Housing will give us a feel of security.

5. Houses are not serving any kind of protective Reason at all.

Summary: Lot Access Restriction with a real wall and a door in my way. Ok

But not this invisible crap. At least if someone activated a Lot Access Restriction ad some Visible Magical Barrier for all of us to see.

I still think
    Giving Houses and my entrance door a lock and let gardens be always accessable is far better and ads a incentive to "want a house"

Kind regards

Myrcello

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

What about people who want to hold events like plays and roleplay events, sporting events, outdoor meetings etc that do not fit indoors? We have already seen people disrupt these events by standing in the event area spamming spells and abuse. Thanks to these restrictions the people in question turned up and found there was nothing they could do other than whispered insults and yelling over the fence..both of which is now cured by the ignore button. That being said, i do think it would be cool if restricted lots had an electric barrier like Owlshead.

smack, Kara Brae, Net and 3 others like this.
  3. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

How bout both, lockable doors & Lot restrictions, & Lockable hatches, Lockable anything with a door, bada bing bada boom, prollem solved, many peeps would choose the lockable door option, thus eliminating some, many, of the invisible barriers that only dogs can hear with their collars on and it makes the cruel zapping, sad, don't do that to your dogs it isn't nice.

smack and Myrcello like this.
  4. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Well why do i have to be confronted with Magic Barriers all around in my game because we do not have a simple: I Ban thee option.

I do not wan´t to be confronted with Magical Barriers or Lot Access Restrictions in every Town just because of the 1% running around trying to ruin a Event.
    I also believe the Event Holder has enough options already with Selective Multiplayer, Basements, non PvP Areas, Player Town Restrictions with turned off PvP to pre plan such behaviour already.

Then create a Tool that only restrict these Players, but do not change the complete feel for all of us.

Not like /ignore or /I ban thee is something new.

But i feel those Lot Restrictions are very annyoing. Lock your Door, do your Event within your Bacement.

And what if i have a Guild that is in War with your Guild and i want to disrupt your Event? Yes. Might happen. Is such play style not welcome at all anymore.
    It would be a total RPG Style of playing.

The Evil Lord Blake is having a "Party". We should gather our forces and use this day to disrupt them. No better time as they are all there.

Only good and nice play? No Danger, no enemies, no evil side within this game welcome?

No tatical thinking before you start a Event? We need to consider the dangers before we do our event. Shall we set up Guards? Shall we only send invitations to the ones we know. Keep a Event Secret.

Come one! What is with you all. If this dominant "all peaceful in Novia" approach keeps going what is left of us to be warriors, mages, protectors?. As much as i enjoyed the Development. But this is getting silly.

But forget my Guild vs Guild example.

Why not just I ban thee and leave us peaceful players the freedom of not walking into invisible barriers ingame.

Kind regards

Lord Baldrith, licemeat and Ariella like this.
  5. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

I tend to agree with a lot of this.

If I owned a house and wanted privacy, I want the game to make me take the proper precautions and deal with the risks. That means an option to have doors lock, but also to ensure I don't leave the door open so people can run inside if they're particularly diligent. An option to eject someone should force the player to stop and say out loud "Maybe I shouldn't go back in there..."

It's okay to have the good guys require some responsibility to keep things in order, and to give them the tools to do it - but don't go overboard.

Keep it immersive.

smack and Myrcello like this.
  6. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I mean "i consider myself a nice person who respects alot", but i do also want a game that maybe requires me to set up guards, think about the Players i am in War with. Tell the Event Participants not to carry valuable stuff, thiefs might be around.

Or set up traps around my events. Just fooling around with ideas. I hope you get my point.

And hey - easy solution - i have this wonderful castle - i do my event there. I Lock my Gate. Done.

Some Dangers should be forced to be "played" to get it "resolved" instead of asking the Developes to create more and more immersion breaking tools.

I made a RPG Post about trying to attack one day Pax Lair. The funny thing is , the moment i did post it i was aware that currently the "Game" provides me nothing to
    be any danger , in a gameful way" to Pax Lair.

Nothing. No options for me to be the Evil RPG Enemy.

Only Words i can type into the Forum.

So. Taking a break. Currently enough "emotional posts". I let the rest of you discuss. I think i did make my point of frustration.

Lord Baldrith, smack and Ariella like this.
  7. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Captain Jack has heard a rumor, Lum's secret project... McCallisterScript, is nearing completion.
    [​IMG]

smack, licemeat, Myrcello and 2 others like this.
  8. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Protecting events is pretty much the sole reason for wanting lot restrictions and no, people should not have the option to go and prevent other peoples events just because they feel like being a jerk. Some of those events take a month or more planning and preparation and are very popular, leaving them open to being prevented by a single idiot is just silly. It will be less of an issue later when people are being instanced with others of similar playstyle and we have the online with friends mode. A single player should never be able to disrupt and ruin the game time of a large group of people with no interest in PvP or any other form of conflict. Lot restrictions may not be the ideal solution but it is an excellent option in the meantime. Also i don't find magic barriers immersion breaking in a setting where magic barriers literally exist.

FrostII, Xandra7, Myrcello and 3 others like this.
  9. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

It is silly to create tools that we all have to deal with now, just because of 1 person.

And now RPG Style of Conflicts are prevented.

I am also confused. How was this one person able to interrupt your event?

Did you all have PvP activated? Was he cursing in the Chat?.

I was not at the event. But i was under the impression that the game has sufficent options to not be forced into any PvP already?

Ariella likes this.
  10. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Yeah i don't think it is the permanent solution

Myrcello likes this.
  11. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

ohmygod implement TRAPS into the game! Great idea Captain Jack!

smack, Fox Cunning and Myrcello like this.
  12. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Themo Lock .

I totally find your Events you all do wonderful. And you require solutions. It is about finding the Balance between "how believable, how dangerous" the world is we will be playing in and "avoiding harassment players of disrupting". If that is where the subject is going too.

I was under the impression that the game has already enough options. Selective Multiplayer, no full loot, no open PvP world, only some "declared PvP" areas, Basements, Player Towns you can set PvP on or not. An Oracle seperating PvP Styles.
    So many options in place already.
    Now on top of that we now have Lot Restrictions that did show up when i was playing many times. Did feel anoying not to be able to run over the Town as i want. I just feel slowly it is over the top. At some point we have to start letting us players deal with a situation.

If the example was about someone doing "haressent, cursing" then i think Lot Restriction is not the solution to deal with them.
    If it was about PvP enforced i am confused, as i think enough options are already in the game. Should not have been able to do that.

Lord Baldrith, smack and Ariella like this.
  13. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

The main issue is harassment that does not involve PVP, use a play as an example.. you cant do it if somebody stands on your stage spamming healing rain and refuses to move. That is just one example but you get the idea XD

FrostII, smack, Net and 1 other person like this.
  14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Yeah i am all with Myrcello in this topic.
    He is right about that.
    A Ban option would be the best solution. I hate invisible walls.

Lord Baldrith, smack, Hazard and 3 others like this.
  15. Net

Net Avatar

I want to secure my garden as well. I do agree that the current implementation of invisible walls is not the best one, I would be quite happy if the barrier was slightly inside the lot and we could place the fence around the lot so people would hit fence before the barrier. Or the barrier could be visible as semi-transparent force field as in Overland map, though that might look bit silly in larger cities... The thing with the fence is it does not go well with multi-lot decorations.

As for me and lot restrictions, they are excellent tool for mazebuilders, because they allow us to build the maze and hide items there or do number of other thing and then we can run the event with people at equal start with no one being able to inspect the maze before and find the shortest way, thus reducing it to mere obstacle race. They also allow us to let selected people (streamers, event organizers) in, without letting in everyone, when we build high hedge around the lot and open the lot to let soemone in, some other people tend to rush inside for some reason, it is rather hard to notice them and get them out.

I would not mind if restricting lot was payed ingame with a small tax (banning people should be free though). Maybe the price could be same as for the tax (lowered if you make it restricted only for a short period of time). I think that would discourage most people from using it just because they can, but allow them to use it whenever they need.

16. Selene

Selene Avatar

Even if you use lot restrictions, I'm pretty sure someone can stand outside of your lot and yell mock obscenities at you. Then, you're just ignoring them anyway. Lot restrictions, in reality, are no different than having a wall, so why not just have a wall if you want privacy? Locking doors/gates, basements, and walls are all adequate solutions. Blocking the path with restricted lots (especially with row houses in cities, where they are effectively keeping you from walking on the street in places) is not a great mechanic

EDIT: I missed Net's post while I was reading/posting. I agree a barrier inside the lot line could work, but I believe it should only be activated IF there is a fence around the property.

17. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Sadly magicial invisible lot barriers is the wave of the future, so I doubt it'll be taken out. The game Landmark, is an advanced lot claim game and they have lot restrictions w/ invisible barriers, and that game is the most advanced lot game I've seen with full terraforming abilities, you can dig your own dungeon, you can dig your own moat, dig your own house in a cave. The old lot crazy game, second life, same, invisible barriers.

So I stick with my original proposal, lockable doors in addition to the invisible barriers, and many would choose the lockable door option. For example, someone who has greatly decorated their yard and wants people to take a look. Someone who has a vendor inside a gate and doesn't mind customers inside the gate to purchase wares. Those merchants and exhibitors won't mind customers inside the gate if their doors are securely locked. (Thus eliminating a good % of invisible barriers).

Myrcello and Net like this.
  18. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

The Hell with Landmark. Just because they do it does not make it good or standard.

Question Marks over the heads are also Standard and great games have them.

Still do not make them better.

Some might say: thank god. sota does not follow bad standards.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

19. Ariella Shadowdancer

Ariella Shadowdancer Avatar

I do agree with you guys that there should be something in place to keep unwanted people out. However I would have to agree with Myrcello more. For someone like me who loves going around looking at how others decorate their gardens. If I am restricted and the owner is not on or around at the same time as I to grant me permission then all this beauty is hidden. When I am holding an event, should I stand at my gate and miss the event so I can grant people access at any given time, just to keep the ones I do not want there out? If I am late to someone else's event do I interrupt it by asking for access to enter their event?

Also, I do not want to live in a bubble and feel safe all the time..

Just my thoughts on this matter.

Lord Baldrith, smack and Myrcello like this.
  20. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I hate the invisible barrier, locked doors are fine everything beyond that = everyone gets a trophy. Good thing I'm not into housing or events I guess.

Lord Baldrith, smack and Myrcello like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.