Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Lot Restrictions - You can do better

Discussion in 'Release 17 Feedback' started by Myrcello, May 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

If doors lock, and people want others off their lawns they could always put a wall with a gate right?

Lord Baldrith, smack and Myrcello like this.
  2. Anendrue

Anendrue Avatar

I like the idea of making the barrier a high amp/voltage fence powered by the windmill generator. Results in immersion, fits in the existing game lore, and prevents pests who only want to ruin other peoples game enjoyment.

Lord Baldrith, smack and Myrcello like this.
  3. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I completely agree with Myrcello.

However sadly I'm not surprised what has been implemented. In general the community on this forum tends to sway more towards hand holding; I expect it will be the banning from PoTs next.

Sad times

4. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I would also like to add that the removal of keys and adding in features such as "private" building in UO was also very sad.

5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I agree that lot restriction is currently too constraining. My biggest problem with it is that I've waited all this time to get gates and walls and now I don't need them because they don't serve a functional purpose. It's like overkill to have gates and walls because there's already an invisible barrier there (since you can open gates and doors if there's not).

I assume however that creating lot restrictions based on more flexible options is quite a development challenge. Meaning that any work to create a more robust and flexible permissions system may require more time and money that could be spent doing something else. (say like making combat playable)

So please consider prioritizing this appropriately. If for some reason this stayed the way it is until launch, I could live with it. But it would much better if I would walk anywhere that my progress was not impeded by a door, gate, wall, or other obstacle.

smack, Myrcello and E n v y like this.
  6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

There is a "i ban thee" option.

There just happens to be a "Private" and "Public" option as well.

There are people who would want to only have certain people be able to enter their property, and they can feel just as overlooked if they didnt have the option to do that.

So the best thing to do is to make it where empty lots cant be restricted. I propose that, in order to make a lot private, you must have a fence or wall put up, if you dont have a house.
    If you have a house, perhaps put a "No trespassing" sign out ont he lawn.

Lord Lonn, Net and Myrcello like this.
  7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

It was indeed disappointing. But there are lots of folks who just want to do everything they can to make people mad. Mad people aren't having fun, so having the option there is nice just in case.
    And since it's an option, people who ant that kinda risk can still have it.

Lord Lonn likes this.
  8. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Well I know my lot at launch, I will prefer to make my own custom door blockers just to allow people to walk in my yard next to my vendor if they like.

Lord Baldrith and Myrcello like this.
  9. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Update from the Hangout:

Clear message about this from Darkstarr.

No change. It serves the matter perfect to protect events. More important stuff currently.

Low priority.

By the way Darkstarr. You are no bad guy telling us that. Hope you do not feel like we are bad guys giving feedback about such minorities. :) Totally understand that other priorities are out there.

FrostII, Lord Baldrith, smack and 5 others like this.
  10. redfish

redfish Avatar

I was a little unclear about the scenario DarkStarr was talking about when he was discussing edge cases.

Certainly, if the main means to block other people is a door that they can't pass, there'll be edge cases. But what I was thinking was more along the likes that a locked door would be a game mechanism by which you established your lot had restricted access. So, if you have a house door and set it to lock, that would establish access to your house was restricted. If you build a wall or fence and set it to lock, that would establish access to your yard was restricted, too.

The main point -- at least in this point in the game --would be to get rid of the invisible walls, and the constant "Lot Access Restricted" messages you get just by walking down the street. Your ability to jump walls would be restricted in a blanket way the same way it is currently in the game if you have restricted lot access.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  11. smack

smack Avatar

I'm also completely against lot restrictions as they are implemented currently. I get that you want to have curated events without disruption. In fact that was even a promise as a KS Goal:

$1.9M: The World is a Stage!
    A new City Center Theater building
    Rentable by an individual or group for a performance
    Only approved individuals may enter backstage or on stage
    Players must pay to enter seating areas
    Viewers may only emote, such as claps (claps are tracked to “rate” the performance)
    Money goes to performers for their performance
    Also useable for weddings and other community events!
    We add a full complement of “masks” and “costumes” for use at various events.

I am in favor of:
    - physical restrictions, be they gates or walls or whatever
    - lockable doors or hatches or whatever
    - line of sight checks for /local chat (not foolproof but does give privacy and prevents some spam)
    - designated areas with more flexible restrictions for holding these events (like the Theater Building above)

I am completely against:
    - invisible walls, especially with this much flexibility / power given to a player

Regarding "hiding" a maze (puzzle) so others don't see it to get an advantage...ask for a physical item to help hide it. Really high walls or really high tent poles and canvas to hide it. Or petition for even larger spaces so you can create a wider boundary between the maze itself and property edge. But none of this invisible walls crap. Plus, you have this overhead camera that can zoom out quite a bit...

The devs only implemented these lot restrictions because the community complained. We know the devs are always short on time so anything they implement will be done with a sledgehammer approach as a short-term fix. Now the task is low priority to resolve for the long term. We know that's been their iterative approach where things can take many, many, many, releases until it sees improvement again. So careful what you ask for, because it can destroy the game you all love.

Now, to bug the devs about selling XP Potions and pre-built Level 100 characters in the Add-On Store again...

Enjoy the game, folks...you asked for it. :rolleyes:

Lord Baldrith and Myrcello like this.
  12. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I can see the need to 'protect events' as a reason for barriers. However, I still agree with Myrcello's opening post. Invisible barriers are immersion breaking. Some other way to implement 'event protection' sounds good. A ban list? Something else?

13. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I can't find where it was posted, but i believe lot permissions will be replaced eventually by the option to simply not let blacklisted players through the gates of non-pvp player owned towns.

14. smack

smack Avatar

Isn't this what FPO was meant for? I mean there are issues with the whole six degrees thing depending on how they implement this, but we really need to test this.

15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I hope this is the case :)

16. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Yes and no, basicly why should one person be allowed to disrupt the activities of an entire community? PVP towns are still no holds barred as is the rest of the world. Giving people the option to create grief free event areas in towns they paid for doesn't affect anybody except those that want to kick over sandcastles.

FrostII likes this.
  17. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I remember the same thing. I think it was a Darkstarr post that said that lot restrictions were a quick fix to solve the problem of event interruption and that the real solution will be implemented later.

Themo Lock likes this.
  18. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

@myrcello, I agree completely, especially with the idea of home grown security. Lock your doors and build a wall!

19. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Unless you build with the high, tall fences you will just have the same problem. Instead of not being able to enter, now you won't be able to jump over the small fence. And if you can't jump over the tall fence, you don't need restrictions.so only the gate needs restrictions. But you've limited the player to only one kind of fence and gate.

20. smack

smack Avatar

Sure, but lot restrictions the way it's currently implemented was not the answer. I'm glad it's going away. We have FPO for this very reason, along with buildings like the Theater (or whatever) in the stretch goal that any player can rent, especially those that can't afford sandcastles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.