1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Lot Selection Sequencing

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Hello Everyone,

I understand that there is some confusion and concern about how Lot Selection will work. As some of you may have noticed we updated the Housing and Backer sections of the FAQ to be more explicit about Lot Selection priority and Founder status.

When can I choose my lot?
    First priority will be given to backers for lot choice. The order will be determined by amount of pledge with Founders getting priority over Benefactors at each tier. Backers will be given an exclusive window to choose their lots. Each backer can choose exactly one lot during the window. The next window will be given to those who purchase lots from the Add-On Store. After that window, lot choice will be open to all players.

What is the difference between a “Founder”, a “Benefactor”, and the Founder Pledge Tier?
    Originally discussed in Kickstarter Update #29, “Early Founder Rewards” were made available to all backers that pledged by the end of the Grace Period, 12:00 pm CST, May 20, 2013. These early backers are referred to as “Founders” when discussing Early Founder pledge rewards, and backers after 12 pm CST, May 20, 2013 are referred to as “Benefactors” when discussing their pledge rewards. There is also a pledge tier called “Founder”.

At this time that is the level of detail we are prepared to release to you because we are still working out the details of exactly how lot choice sequencing will work (scheduling access times, queue position calculation, etc.). Please trust us that we plan to honor our commitments and that we will do our very best to make sure each and every one of our backers feels like they receive a fair position in the queue. I would also ask that you please exercise some patience on us getting those details to you as we are about a year away from lot selection starting. Thank you again for all of your support and passion.

Sincerely,
    Starr Long

2. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I think what needs to be spelled out so that it's completely unambiguous is the "at each tier" part. Perhaps with an example.

F=Founder, B=Benefactor
    Does it mean option 1 or 2?
    1) F1 -> B1 -> F2 -> B2 -> F3 -> B3
    2) F1 -> F2 -> F3 -> B1 -> B2 -> B3

The "at each tier" part makes it seem like option 1, however this was posted by Dallas on April 24th:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...0/posts/462692?cursor=2893045#comment-2893044

The backers after April 7th are Benefactors. That highlighted section sounds much closer to option 2.
    X

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Thanks, DarkStarr.

So for example...I'm a backer (benefactor) and I have 3 village lots. 1 from backing and 2 from the add-on store.

Does this mean that I will be in the 2nd tier based on being a benefactor. I will select 1 lot. Then I will be in the add-on store tier and place another lot (or both my remaining lots)?

4. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

While I understand the reasoning behind this approach, it feels quite unfortunate, and somewhat less than fair. Indeed, it directly contradicts what was already on record by Dallas. EDIT: As Lonestranger just pointed out.

The issue, for me, is the context:

The current plan undermines the passion and intention of that statement... Now it feels more like "money talks, and louder than loyalty."

My two cents.

Hempy Do`Herben, licemeat and Joviex like this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

Also, I thought was DarkStarr was trying to say was that all the founders would go first, then all the benefactors. I guess it's more than a little confusing.

It's also tough to think about every Founder...even the ones that pledged next to nothing for like two years, then they pump it up to citizen level on the last day and jump in the line. That's kinda lame. It feels like the founders are already getting so much more than everyone else.

I know if it means that I'll get to pick a lot sooner if I pay more money - I'll be much more likely to pay more money.

6. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Absolutely this. I understand the why, it is painfully obvious, money is the king here, rather than the original intent behind what Dallas first posted: Loyalty over money.

They pledged. Early. They should be rewarded for having a vision and belief in the company and product.

7. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Fixed for you. ;)

8. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Founders still have priority... and money does talk... so everyone wins. Thanks for answering the community guys! Keep at it we appreciate the communication and understand the adjustments that are made with the success of the game in mind... it stings sometimes when things change against someone's understanding but in a year I'm fairly sure all will be forgotten/forgiven and everyone will be happy with a (high hopes) smooth and orderly release.

http://sotawiki.net/index.php?title=Episode_1_Housing_Selection_Order I had FireLotus check this over earlier today and took the time to add in the note about only one house during early selection process just now... I put a table on the page a couple days ago (as promised in another thread) to help people understand it better :)

9. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

What about the founders who pledged citizen level during kickstarter, to help get this project off the ground, only to lose their lot selection to someone who has never pledged before and pledges Knight the day before lot selection occurs?

licemeat, Freeman, vjek and 2 others like this.
  10. Drocis the Devious

An equally fine point. So it's settled then, all backers are equal. :)

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
  11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Thanks Starr for the update.

Maric likes this.
  12. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

You are joking of course. Otherwise, you missed the point.

You are equal on money, period. Loyalty matters zero.

vjek, OSullivan and Bubonic like this.
  13. Drocis the Devious

I like the way they're doing it. I think that's the most fair way to go. Time to pledge more money.

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
  14. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Personally, I think it's the best compromise between those who happened to hear about the game sooner (cause let's face it, that's the biggest difference in whether people are Founders or Benefactors - the luck of when they heard about the game; not the only case, but the most common), and those who pledged tons of money when they did hear about it. Founder still have priority, but Citizen Founders don't have priority over Benefactor Lords.

15. Reiatsul

Reiatsul Avatar

Being a member of the UDIC I'm am also curious about how to work in the lot selection with the possibility of the Dragon Village/Town!
    About if we can transfer our lots easily to the new Village/Town or if the Dev's would like the UDIC members to allocate the area needed first?

OSullivan likes this.
  16. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Please explain what is UDIC? and how does/would a whole group get priority over everyone?

17. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I have a feeling that there will be a general disparity... people who pledged after kickstarter will be perfectly happy with this arrangement. And why wouldn't you?

18. Drocis the Devious

Correct, but he's just trying to say that it doesn't really matter if you're a founder or benefactor because at the end of the day if you paid more money that's all they care about. (At least, that's what I thought he said)

19. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Ultima Dragons something something... from UO

20. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Contrary how? I backed the project from day one, cause I had faith in it.

Someone now can just pledge the last day and get a better spot in the queue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.