1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Lot Selection Sequencing

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

I wonder if just the bold portions would be bad if quoted? Maybe the whole thing is bad to quote, but those 2 bolded portions are good knowledge. Of course, I don't know if they would hold it against you for quoting any portion of it outside of Dev+.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Everything from Dev+ is highly subject to change... so before everyone starts taking it as the Bible they should realize it came from there and can't be held as fact.

3. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

It was also posted very early on, like within a week of these new forums coming out. Which was when Lum first started. So there is a chance that system isn't even considered anymore. It wasn't mentioned in the crafting mega post.

4. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

No, it wasn't mentioned in the crafting mega post, but unless Starr has overruled Chris on that matter and stated that in one of the forums, I think it's safe to assume it still holds true... If I recall correctly, the mega post dealt primarily with the crafting trees and not the actual crafting tables themselves.

Jambo and Time Lord like this.
  5. Hempy Do`Herben

Hempy Do`Herben Avatar

I do know this :) I was mentioning more for the fact of saying YES, I got my unbreakable tools in the STORE. I dnt know if I fully agree with selling unbreakable tools and stuff like that in the store it is kinda P2Wish. But I would be a idiot to not get if I am trying to establish myself in game quickly knowing other have gotten them and are not worrying about their tools durability.

6. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

I think they may seem P2W'ish, but when we get in game and advance more to get better tools they will be quickly outdated. Maybe they can't help gather the really high end ingredients needed for the really advanced crafting. To me they seem like more of an early booster to help push the economy to start before being regulated to a chest and collecting dust.

7. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

+1

8. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

They are some good looking tools...I hope we can display all of our old 'junk' in our home if desired.

Time Lord and Hempy Do`Herben like this.
  9. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

I think the sequence DarkStarr was talking about is fair and makes fully sense. The founders made the Kickstarter project SotA a success. They also advertised they game to the community during Kickstarter. Those who pledged a big amount of money leveraged the game to become funded. With respect to each single backer who pledged after the Kickstarter event and the due date for becoming a founder, but the founder supports SotA from the very beginning.
    They must have a logical sequence and i have no problem to wait until the few city lot backers select their lot. They spend so much money to support the game and those pledges were always limit. I do not backed a city lot pledge and i do not feel money makes the world in SotA, but i realized that Portalarium has limited budget and i respect this kind of crowd project without having a publisher with millions of dollars in the background, SotA will have so many nice places....

danceswithstaplers and rild like this.
  10. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I usually put my junk in a box.

deryk likes this.
  11. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I guess I should call them dust collectors :)

Time Lord and deryk like this.
  12. vjek

vjek Avatar

That's possible, but has never been confirmed.
    It would be really nice to know where on the item power curve the "of prosperity" tools fall. If the intent is they're used forever, it's likely they can harvest anything. If the intent is they're used only to start, then there would appear to be tiers of gathering/harvesting, which would be new information, and great to know for sure.

They increase the quality, quantity and speed of gathering/harvesting. As such, from that, we can deduce that there are qualities to harvested/gathered resources, as well as the ability to harvest more than one resource in a single action. Finally, we know that the action will take time, as that time can be reduced.

Based on that, if the "of prosperity" tools improved quality, quantity, and speed by <=50% of the maximum boost to these three aspects of gathering, then that would be fine, imho. If they increase these three aspects by >=75% of the maximum boost, I would be concerned they have crossed the line to pay to win. Similarly, if it was >=75% of the maximum boost AND the tool could harvest any and all of the target resource type, ( that is, there are no tiers ) then I would say again, that crosses the line of pay to win. However, the biggest caveats of all are how much does it cost to repair a gathering tool, what is the fuel cost to create a gathering tool initially, and how many uses does a player get out of a tool before it needs repair and/or breaks. Similarly, are there skills that increase the number of uses prior to repair and/or breakage? All unknowns, any one of which can completely change everything.

If we knew the intended use for these items, we could better judge their value, and for myself, I might recommend them to others. For now, I will not buy them, nor recommend them, due to the lack of information in this regard.

13. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

I can't blame some people for not wanting to buy them. Like I said, to me they seem like something to help jumpstart the economy, but I can't be 100% certain about that. From what little we know there might be tiers to the resources. Like is mentioned, they do help improve the quality of resources gathered, but what tier is that quality? Will it be like UO where your skill in mining is what determined what quality ore you could mine (I believe I remember that right)? Until we know for certain, like you say, they could be the best things on the market for any gathering skill. But I don't really think they would actually do something so clearly P2W. That would break the system in my mind.

There are so many things I wish we had more information on. I know crafting is slated for R2, and I know it isn't mentioned that we will be able to gather resources as chests will be supplied with them, but hopefully more information about these items will be available. I have some reservations about them as a whole, but I can only hope that they act like the expert crafting stations that are provided to some tiers will: they are a middle ground and not the best item in game when it comes to their purpose.

But man, this thread has gone off topic and I am not helping with it. :oops:

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Collecting resources isnt in until R4, as it is specificlly mentioned there.
    So i assume they will give us resources in chests for R2.

15. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

You are right. I didn't look to in depth on what each thing they bullet pointed would be about. I just saw 'crafting' and didn't see the 'resource gathering will be added' part on the R4 section.

And the R2 does mention that resources will be in chests.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I think it's pretty safe to assume that NOTHING is safe to assume at this point. Especially something that went on record so long ago.

rild, Mishri, Ronan and 1 other person like this.
  17. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

You guys all need to start referring to crafting tables as crafting benches. Had to reread the thread twice before I made the mental link to what you were all on about... I'd say assuming the enhanced crafting benches from the pledge tiers are craftable is dangerous. Look at the prosperity items for comparison, functionally similar things can be crafted but not the prosperity items themselves with their unique feature. If nothing else, as a purchasable item they'll be blessed so they can't be lost... Not that that is a particularly useful feature on a piece of furniture. :p
    Maybe they are just smaller and take up less floorspace, at this point who knows?

18. Macsen

Macsen Avatar

I find it extremely disturbing that the front page FAQ was changed from:

to:

Especially when this change was made after a lot of Benefactors had pledged a considerable amount of money. On my thread "Should benefactors get an equal amount of digital rewards as Founders?", people are mentioning that it would be unfair to the early backers that took a "leap of faith" when they made their pledge and that it could even be a breach of contract. I believe we now have a breach of the benefactor's contract.

Seems unfair to place thousands of people before benefactors on lot selection after the benefactor's money has already been taken.

deryk and derek6665 (Baldrith) like this.
  19. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

Man they can't win. The founders aren't happy that they were promised to be ahead of all the benefactors and now it's restricted to "per tier" and the benefactors feel put out by the fact they paid more for less. This is the best happy medium they could come up with. Yes it's not perfect, but it's can't b e anyway. Unless you can come up with a better solution that keeps both parties happy there is no point complaining... As they will use the best solution, and so far this is it.

20. Macsen

Macsen Avatar

Mo money mo problems.

Here is the better solution, nowhere in the kickstarter pledge description does it say anything about priority over "late backers" on lot selection (even though this may have been said in some obscure forum post or comment on an article). Nowhere in the Benefactor pledge description does it say that Founders will get their lots before benefactors. The conclusion? Let them select their lots at the same time.

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.