Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

LOUD NOISES!!! Just kidding... Emotes on Utility Bar, please?

Discussion in 'Release 51 Feedback Forum' started by Tyranthraxus, Feb 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g04tn4d0

g04tn4d0 Avatar

Pensacola, Florida, Earth, Dimension C-137
    Wow, release 51 looks great! While there's a few things that probably need more attention that this, it sure would be nice if I could drag an emote to the Utility Bar for quick use. You know how important Wave, Salute, and Headbang are... ;)

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I really agree we need this. I am not as sure we have room on our utility bars for emotes though, but what if we could drag them out on the screen where we want them. My utility bar is very full already. Not exactly like this perhaps but for Ultima you could drag all skills out where you wanted them which of course would not work for the combat set-up we have but the emotes could be dragged out or at least a emote bar ;)

[​IMG]

3. Verit

Verit Avatar

I agree with the OP that we should be able to put emotes on a bar.
    I also agree with Majoria that this should be a separate bar as my utility bar is already full.

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

There is already an emotes window that you can stretch vertically to show more. I know this isn't the best solution, as I would really like to be able to just have the emotes I choose visible, but it's at least something.

5. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Oh boy, dont let Blood Rock Clan see that picture! ;-)

6. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Also yes, please let us use emotes on our glyph bars. This also sparks the need for multiple non combat glyph bars ;). I liked EverQuest's system where you could type out the full emote and custom text in a special command that turned into a "glyph", which you could then drag to a skill bar.

Something like "/createglyph /em exhales a huge smoke ploom %smoke%" for a clickable custom smoking emote glyph. :)

majoria70 likes this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

I still think the simplest solution for expanding the utility bar is to expand it to three rotating sets, where you can page left or right to whichever set you want.

So if you're on set 2, you can page left to set 1 or page right to set 3.

If you're on set 3, you can page left to set 2 or page right to set 1.

If you're on set 1, you can page left to set 3 or page right to set 2.

That way, you can go to any set you want any time by paging left or right, and it could be easily bindable to the left or right keys, or the pgup or pgdown keys.

I've also suggested the possibility of a game-created "contextual" emote bar, so like when you sit down, for instance, emotes would come up relating to sitting.

At any rate, I think some form of hotkeying emotes is important for the game.

First of all, some emotes are not just social, have a game function, like the /spyglass emote. Forcing players to type put "/spyglass" or go to the emotes window is silly from a UI perspective. The game could even alloe functionality like dragging the spyglass to the hotbar to add the /spyglass emote, or selecting it through right click.

Second, even a lot of the social functions of emotes tie into good gameplay experiences. Waving to players as they run by, to get their attention quickly without the added time it takes to type out a "hello" message. Signalling to players to stop with your hand is another similar thing. Pointing in a direction to sigbal something in a stealthy way, or putting a finger to your mouth to signal someone to be quiet. Using emotes to communicate things across language barriers.

Emotes can even be worked into story and dialogue elements if there's a good front-end UI for it. Giving a salute to a guard, showing a secret hand signal, etc.

Verit likes this.
  8. Verit

Verit Avatar

Thank you for this suggestion.
    I currently try to manage using the list like this but it is a long list of emotes and I find it rather ungainly. I would like to have easier access to certain frequently used emotes.

Redfish's suggestion of a rotating bar would work nicely and not clutter the UI.

Barugon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.