Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Loved the new R2 , and crafting was AWESOME, here is my Recipe Book and some Screenies

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by Lord Vaylgar Vexsian, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

Lord Vaylgar Vexsian Avatar

crafting was AWESOME in R2, yes a little puzzly but that's good IMO someone , somewhere at sometime had to go through this trial and error to learn how to make the stuff like I did this weekend. Here is my Recipe Book and some Screenies of my progress.

I am pretty sure I got all the Blacksmith recipes as far as Armor goes and smelting with it. (Shield Cloth, leather, Chainmail and Plate all completed sets)

The weapons I am pretty sure I figured out all the available weapons made and forged, so here is the stuff I did, Sorry I didn't do much in carpentry only a few min , I felt it was pretty logical as was the smithing smelting milling, everything seemed to follow old traditional techniques which made it even more fun to me.

Instead of posting a typed breakdown just look at my screenshots I took of my Recipe book and the extras to show how most of it looked when equipped.

One thing I will put in as a bug I think, all 2 handers could be wielded with a shield as a 1 hander
    dont forget to throw me a like if I helped you or showed you some you didn't or couldnt figure out.

SPOILER ALERT!! My Album here has all the screenshots of recipes and vanity look of them after made

Sunday Update:
    Updated a few things today like supple leather, and some carpentry, Weaving recipes, and found one tailoring recipe that shouldn't work to make something that has another recipe but it does for some reason, very weird making armor from ropes is all I will say :p

2. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

My congrats to you, I'm glade someone figured them all out. I don't have your kind of patients, I'd rather read a book to find out how to do it or ask someone with experience. Thanks for sharing your recipes.

Lord Vaylgar Vexsian likes this.
  3. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Looks like you had about 22 not shown in the screenshots that are in-game. Excellent though because you had the rectangle shield and I didn't so I was able to add it, thanks for sharing!

4. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

Like I said I did not attempt to finish out carpentry/milling and tanning at this time so yea I prob missed a bunch of those I only spent a few minutes in wood working, I was more keen to doing smithing and getting all the armors and weapons, smelting im not sure if I got them all but I got a ton of them out of the molds we were given, I got every single type of weapon most molds held 3 -4 weapons depending on the amount of Iron blocks used on the same mold. AKA blade mold = 1 iron block dagger blade, 2= short sword, 3= long sword , 5= 2 handed iron sword. A lot of the molds BUT NOT ALL, spear being one only had a single item that you could mold that I found no matter the combo, if someone found something else please let me know id like to know but im pretty sure I did every combo with them possible.

5. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

No problem I know some dont appreciate or enjoy the crafting as much as I do for old school crafting like this, but this made my week being able to go old school only thing I really missed was after harvesting it with mining on a mountain side lugging all that ore back to a smelter to smelt it, so it wasnt so damn heavy and my pack horse! :p

6. Roger36

Roger36 Avatar

Wow i'm envious you found many more recipes than me!
    I really dont have the patence to try and work all the combinations out
    Well done!

7. Moridin

Moridin Avatar

Awsome mate.. i dident even figure out craft one thing wish there was a guide hehe :) looks good tough

8. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Well done! Your pics are awesome! I gave you a like too.

9. Greyhaven

Greyhaven Avatar

Respect to the OP for putting in this effort and the sharing the results.

Gives a welcome head-start to crafting for the rest of us.

10. Krovakin

Krovakin Avatar

Crafting was hard at first... and there were some small issues... I knew people were having issues with it so I made a crafting Video on our site. It is actually very easy to craft once you see some of the tricks and ways to think of it.

The first look at crafting video was Here

and the video after practice was Here

You can see how easy learning it became after a day of practice and tinkering.

monxter likes this.
  11. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

Yes you'll notice a specific pattern with all the armor, which is how I figured out fairly easy how to make all the armor parts, they did some trickery by changing up certain parts of certain kits like plate and chain requiring hard leather parts instead of the leather straps(Kudos on that trickery BTW Devs) I loved how hard crafting was!!!!
    A part of it, the (flax making recipe to make thread) really had me spoofed since I had never really known or read about how they made thread and flax so I did so on the internet and found one where they used bark from a certain tree to gain the fibers to make thread or flax, that solved my biggest problem.

I had sat there and spent on and off over 2 hours trying to figure out how to make thread.

I knew the flax fiber was part of the recipe, but I was thrown off when none of my combos would work before I tried bark, after reading that historical flax preparation steps, (im not sure if that was the devs intent or just luck, im still not sure of they were intending the bark for the spool of the thread or historical use of fiber) which also went over my head until I read that about bark being used from a special tree for the fibers.

12. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

13. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

yea there is that, but it would take away the feeling of accomplishment for me if I looked there :p I cant bring myself to do it, I want to learn them in game , the internet today is WOWitizing too many games and little or no effort is put forth, no one reads quest dialogs because they are of no use, no one uses their head anymore, and the reason I have supported SoTA , Richard and his team is I want a game back that doesn't do hand holding , when all that they give in the game like in today's newer RPGs, even in ESO which Ive been in beta for some time now I feel there is too much hand holding, this takes away from the game drastically to someone like me, I want to explore, search, hunt for the things I need, the knowledge included!

I understand not everyone feels that way, but there have to be some games that are just for the people who want the challenge everyday of trying to research or figure something out , I know no eon builds games like this anymore, now they are trying to please everyone and especially the masses, and since the masses are younger generation WoW players and after, it really makes it almost impossible to get this feeling of accomplishment in games today because using our minds is a thing of the past and now we are so quick to clicky click a Google address or wiki.
    Makes me kind of sad really.

Don't get me wrong I love the internet and I think its a very necessary comfort of today's world, but sometimes, just sometimes cant we put all that aside and use our noggins instead. I miss the feeling of sharpening my brain like I used to as a young man, I can tell even my wits as I have gotten older and lazier using the internet has become much more dull then I was 15 years ago. Smarter , yes, but also more dull at the same time, lost some things along the way by not using certain skills I used to have to use all the time before I was always looking for answers on the internet.

14. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

I am still at it as long as the servers are up today, I have found a few more in Carpentry that is a very nice Engraved Trunk, of course I figured out fairly easy the chest like they give you for your house , really like the engraved trunk I discovered earlier.

Been trying to figure out how if its even possible to make arrow shafts as we did in UO , the recipe if its there is extremely simple and im overlooking it or its very complex for bolt/arrow shafts, im getting the feeling we cant make them but im still trying, also been trying to figure out the bow string if possible, I figured some flax spun thread with wax would do it since thats almost how real bow strings are made, other then the string part , I know string is normally not flexible enough especially flax, but I dont see anything else in a flexible cord we can make in the game yet so im starting to wonder if thats even possible at this point.

Would be nice is a Dev who knows would at-least chime in to say if that content is in this alpha so I can stop wasting my time if that's not a possible recipe at this point :)

15. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

Thanks Greagoir!

16. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

Also just a question is there something that tells us what they put in this alpha? that would be very helpful so I could stop trying to make things that will never work LOL because they aren't in.

17. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Although I don't disagree with you personally I don't take it to the levels you are. I would like my questing and storyline kept a secret until I'm done and would like the ability to chose between knowing crafting easily and working at it... that's where a wiki comes in and shines is offering information to those who want it and not forcing them to have it by putting it in the game. I'm glad that this game is finding a way to cater to us and keep the true "how you want" to play sandbox feel. I hope this continues and I was not attempting to derail your conversation and after I had already posted felt like I should have probably taken that to a private message.

I would also like to mention that for NPCs that have key storyline conversation we are making an effort to hide that information from view until you elect to see it with a spoiler tag. I fully understand the value of figuring things out for yourself and don't want someone to stumble upon a game changing bit of information :)

On a side thought, isn't you posting your recipe book here doing to others what you didn't want done unto you? Just a thought. I love how RG Games cause you to think about things like this and hope these spins are fully intertwined into the gameplay from episode one through five.

Look forward to seeing you in game as it seems you will be a crafter/merchant as I am!

@DarkStarr confirmed to me that there were in fact 101 recipes in game currently.

Farewell until R3 or another forum meeting :)

18. Krovakin

Krovakin Avatar

I think crafting was VERY well done.... The only Issue I can see with it that should change is that you should be able to put multiples of what you want to make down at once.... but only to create materials such as ingots. For instance putting down 8 iron ore and 2 coal a mold and tongs to make 2 bars instead of one at a time. Other than that I really like how hard crafting was... made it a challenge and not click here to make whatever you can.

19. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

Oh no I didnt think you were trying to derail sorry if it came off that way, I understand exactly what you were offering and yes Wiki is great for people who dont want to have to work so hard at it or put as much effort, I agree with you, I am like you glad though its not forced in our face and ruin it for those of us who like the challenge, I used to want to be a real blacksmith and if I had the money I would do it as a hobby as well with my gaming.

Has anyone counted out of the 101 which ones have been found? I have been experimenting with supple leather , I assume somehow we can make bags backpacks with it or hard leather, and cloth I assume will be the pouches, but I have yet to find a working recipe to actually use supple leather, but ive only been attempting for about a hour.

Just wondering with everyone's compilation since i haven't read anyone else yet as not to spoil it for myself, if anyone who isnt interested in that has done a check to see if we have in fact got them all then or if everyone is missing certain ones, which I assume will probably be the same ones in common missing among everyone.

And to answer the last one specifically
    No I really dont think it is, as I am informing what I am posting here to everyone in the title for one, and just as "I" am not reading the others "recipe books" posts at this time, I am posting it for those of you who do not wish to go through the struggle of discovering I understand some do not like having to go through that, and that is ok with me.
    I say just do like I do and dont read the spoiler here which are all contained in the recipes screenshots, so dont look at the Screenshots which is another reason I posted them in screenshot form, so if someone does read here they still have to make a conscious effort to see the recipes by clicking the link , last thing I want is to spoil someone else discovery. I think I have hidden it well enough in this that effort has to be made to spoil it for themselves and would be a choice not me forcing it upon them.
    I would agree I was if I was just posting them in a spreadsheet or listing format that doesn't give the reader who opens the thread a choice and then id slap myself.
    Thanks for your input

20. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

I agree I do wish I could smelt a batch of Ingots at once instead of having to do 1 at a time no reason I shouldnt be able to put several molds on the bench and utilize them all at once with the correct combo of ore and coal, I love challenge yes, but I agree the one peice at a time is very tedious even for me, it gets a little bit annoying, I think I should be able to do as many as I can fit molds and mats on the bench

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.