Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Loving the changes to the locked deck and the extended buffs

Discussion in 'Release 42 Feedback Forum' started by Scraps MacMutt, May 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

@Chris I'm really enjoying the recent changes to the locked deck system so far, and the extended durations to the basic buffs (str/int/dex/etc.) are an added bonus. I'm finally enjoying combat without having to constantly stare at my combat bar or constantly refreshing the basic buffs. This is a huge step towards making combat a lot more fun IMO. :)

Numa, By Tor, Ancev and 3 others like this.
  2. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

I have a feeling @Chris messed up the math with the buff durations.

"with all skills at 80" the int/str/dex buffs should be about 17 minutes, I don;t have all skills to 80 (less, but the buff itself is lvl 80) and I get 27 minutes. If I make a buff deck I can get over 90 minutes on my strength of earth (at GM) with a 5 stack

While I like longer buffs, I think that they are too long as they stand with this patch.

Earl Atogrim von Draken and zyxe like this.
  3. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

I don't use a buff deck because I feel it's a clunky way to gain a small advantage. I just use single buffs on my utility bar, so for me the durations seem about right, although my highest buff skill is only 70.

Chatele and devourerofmemes like this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Switching decks is really fast now if you're not swapping any gear, so I have the long buffs on a separate combat bar.

5. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

This current buff state is fantastic @Chris . It cancels out the anger I had towards you for the HP loss :)

I can actually play for a bit and stop freaking clicking/buffing/sheathing,etc. so dang much.

*9/10 would buff again.

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

LOL, yeah, its a wash.

7. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

@Chris said something during the telethon like if folks enjoy a change too much it's probably overpowered. Just to be clear, I enjoy the new system because I don't have to stare at my combat bar and play whack-a-mole with glyphs. That's it.

Sometimes people enjoy new things because they're marginally better than what they had before. The new system isn't perfect by a long shot, so let's not get overzealous and nerf things just because people actually had some fun with combat.

Chatele likes this.
  8. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

In Shadowbane it was fairly regular to have 10 minute personal buffs and 60 minute group buffs IIRC. Buffs could be dispelled. And so could debuffs. If you went that route in SOTA, you might consider allowing the buffs could be castable from the non-combat bar while in-combat - but a longer casting time while casting them in-combat from the non-combat bar. (so they could be interrupted)

So in PvP you'd still have normal pre-buffing but it would be more challenging to recast your buffs if they've been dispelled

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  9. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

I think Chris said he was going to add a focus hit for each active buff. We'll see how that goes.

10. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Yea, not sure if he agreed to it, or said he'd think about it... but it seems like with 20+ buffs active on one person, it might make a little sense to have some kind of diminishing returns in place... I don't know personally, I've never had more than 5 or 6 max.

Scraps MacMutt likes this.
  11. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

I may have to start using a buff deck again, as much as I dislike it, if that will save me from a big focus hit or at least maximize the return on each focus hit.

So I guess buff decks will now be the new "mandatory" thing. :(

Chatele likes this.
  12. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Just when I start to like something, it gets the dam nerf bat ....... maybe we should just say WE HATE everything, then maybe they won't get nerfed. .... :mad::(:confused::eek::oops::rolleyes:

By Tor and Scraps MacMutt like this.
  13. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

It's funny you say that because I've decided I won't be so quick to give out praise for any changes I like in the future. It's apparently self-defeating. I guess negative criticism is the way to go.

Chatele and By Tor like this.
  14. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I agree. If Chris said that if players like something it means it's overpowered, I'll be sure NOT to be posting anything positive about things I like from now on. Pity.

Chatele likes this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Get ready fur the nerf stick in R43. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.