1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugs… QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Fixed 68373] low FPS and hitching / GUI causing huge lag

Discussion in '*** Bug Report Archive (After R75) ***' started by Echondas, Mar 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@Chris just repro'd this on his stream - temporary mitigation is to turn off 'use camera effects' in video options.

2. Saevio Vehemens

Saevio Vehemens Avatar

Still a problem even with camera effects turned off, I have video... perf issues start showing 5:29... This is after 1.5 hours of control point and recalling back to the island..

Araminis Darkblade likes this.
  3. Araminis Darkblade

Araminis Darkblade Avatar

yeah still having issues here even with the issue Atos found yesterday, figure its multiple issues and may also be ray tracing issue even though game doesnt use it.

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

After digging into the lag I saw on the stream last night I found that it was actually just something internal in Unity that was causing a massive spike in the wait for GPU. Could be video driver issue or could be something in Unity. Continuing to dig for hints but not our code.

https://twitter.com/catnipgames/status/1259063575643127809

5. Araminis Darkblade

Then why is it only Shroud that I have issues with, Lag has been real bad past 2 days more so than it has been. such a pain to relog so much. hope they find the issue(s) soon.

6. Saevio Vehemens

Saevio Vehemens Avatar

seems like it took longer at a lower res to hit perf issues, for a second there I thought it might be 4k that caused it. It certainly happens faster at 4k.
    [7:35 PM]

Gia2 and Araminis like this.
  7. Saevio Vehemens

Saevio Vehemens Avatar

And I'd buy it being a driver issue, except... When it happens, I can still start a second instance of the game and that second instance is fine.

Araminis likes this.
  8. Araminis Darkblade

Lag seems even worse now, didnt get fixed with monthly update. Its taking less time for it to start lagging at this time.

9. Saevio Vehemens

Saevio Vehemens Avatar

Yes, that was my experience as well.

10. Sephald

Sephald Avatar

The lags are killing me. Feels like I’m playing in slow motion. Keyboard interaction with mouse clicks are a drag. Tried rebooting and changing display resolution without success. Also tried setting video settings for simplest graphics to increase performance without success. Never had such slow performance before. Hope it gets fixed in the next patch.

I’m running on Windows Surface Pro. Have Comcast Xfinity high speed Internet connection. Ran SoTa at 9:00 pm PT were I would expect lower bandwidth.

11. Sephald

Sephald Avatar

Alright, my NVidia GE driver was disabled. Need to make sure it’s set to auto select in the configurations. Performance back to normal now.

Anpu and Alley Oop like this.
  12. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

I'm getting it still as well. on Linux.

Less than before. It slowly gets worse over gameplay. It appears to be worst if I have something, like firefox using memory in the background.

Notably tasks that trigger it include things that typical create a lot of GC load, such as moving/sorting stuff in inventory and walking around towns with a lot of player owned lots.

The lag slowly gets worse over time before finally resulting in a crash.

It's worth noting that right before a lag spike there is gc message in the log like this:
    "Unloading 0 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 418411.
    Total: 1132.427000 ms (FindLiveObjects: 29.962000 ms CreateObjectMapping: 15.811000 ms MarkObjects: 1078.660000 ms DeleteObjects: 7.993000 ms)"

However, the hitch continues for 30 seconds to 5 minutes after this, sometimes resulting in a disconnect.

I haven't retried the spot that replicates this 100% (the Envy Angel's cottage) I may look into that later.

Reducing all the graphical settings to minimum reduces the frequency of the problems, but they still happen.

KSP finally saw a drastic improvement after switching to the new incremental GC on Unity. You should consider looking into that. The newer Unity render path is no longer an issue on Linux Mesa systems due to updates to Unity and Mesa. I don't know if there are other issues at play, though.

13. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I'm getting 15-20 FPS on a fresh game load in ERG right now - and the fighting hadn't even started..

Fighting has been going on for a few minutes - game is barely playable - getting ~10 FPS even at lowest visual quality and LOD all the way down.

Saw several errors in the debug console also - I posted them here:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/errors-in-erg-during-10fps-combat.163975/

FPSMeter, fps=11.3, SceneId=Novia_R4_Desert01_EastreachGap, pos=(-124.017, 132.653, -105.224), graphicsDeviceName=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, graphicsMemorySize=8088, systemMemorySize=32679, processorType=Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6800K CPU @ 3.40GHz, firstPersonCam=False

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6800K CPU @ 3.40GHz (12) System RAM: 32679
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 GPU RAM: 8088
    SotA.Win.64.1237.Date.06.16.20
    Area: Novia_R4_Desert01_EastreachGap
    Area Display Name: Eastreach Gap
    Loc: (-124.6, 132.6, -105.3)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjRfRGVzZXJ0MDFfRWFzdHJlYWNoR2FwfHwoLTEyNC41OTUsIDEzMi42MTIsIC0xMDUuMjk5KXwoMCwgLTAuMDA1LCAwLCAtMSl8LTE1NC45NTc2fDcuMTM4OTk4fDIuMzczNzM3

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  14. Araminis Darkblade

this lag is just getting worse and worse for months, is anything being done about it, playing 10-15 min at a time is getting real old and annoying.

Echondas likes this.
  15. Abstrax Phoenix

Abstrax Phoenix Avatar

So, I made a video here demonstrating if you turn off all GUI by pressing F9 on your keyboard your FPS Skyrockets... and I believe it is the party gui doing all of this, all the names of the left of the screen and all the buffs ticking down etc etc. I tested my fps whilst in party with all gui on, then left the party and my fps skyrocketed to nearly the exact same as if I turned off all GUI. Maybe make it so we can turn off party GUI without turning off the rest?

Chemeck, Echondas and Spinok like this.
  16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Are you using any LUA scripts?

Anpu likes this.
  17. Abstrax Phoenix

Abstrax Phoenix Avatar

Nope, no LUA Scripts at all. I also had multiple other people that were in the same call with me do the same thing and all of their fps atleast doubled.

Anpu and Barugon like this.
  18. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

A week ago we have gone with new and not players into despair, I had some strong lags but when I push "N"(toggle nameplates) lags was disappeared. Probably it has the same roots as your case.

19. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

I desperately desire them to give us the ability to modify the UI at our leisure to included hide certain aspects of it. Specially with the Lua addons, one of which give me a list of party members, I have no need to see the ones from the UI and would love to remove them. the buffs to. I can track the buffs of interest to me via Lua now so I have no need of seeing them but I am stuck with them. Modifiable UI folks!!!

Feeyo and Micmatty like this.
  20. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

We really want to let you guys customize your own GUI but that is NOT a small task. Some of that work has already started though.

@abstract Phoenix, I would expect a small performance hit but NOTHING like that from UI being on. This is something I would probably not catch either as I usually do testing by watching others or solo. I'll try and join some big parties and figure it out. Good catch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.