1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugsā€¦ QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Fixed 68373] low FPS and hitching / GUI causing huge lag

Discussion in '*** Bug Report Archive (After R75) ***' started by Echondas, Mar 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Somewhere there's a bug report about frame-rate being massively affected by the UI. I would've posted this there but I can't find it.

Anyway, I was in Eastreach Gap, in a group, and I noticed that my fame-rate was extra slow. It's usually a lot slower in a group but this time it was unbearably slow, like less than 10 FPS. I turned off the UI and the frame-rate jumped up massively. The difference between that time and every other time before was that I had a skill (Ranged Combat) that I was actively tracking. As soon as I hit the target skill level, locked the skill and removed the icon from my screen, the frame-rate went back to what it normally would be (which still sucks, considering my hardware, but the game is at least playable).

2. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@Barugon So did removing the skill progression tracking icon from the screen improve the FPS by itself, or only after also turning off the UI?

3. Echondas

A quick summary of what has been discovered so far with this bug:

- I personally first noticed it after party size was extended and barding was introduced, around 3/26, however others indicate there was some level of performance
    issues that started about a month prior to that
    - The issue only occurs to party members, not outside observers
    - Further discussion pointed again to the ~ 3/26 marker when party size was extended and barding added
    - Smaller party size seems to help: the issue seems most noticeable with more than 8 players.
    - Chris found an issue with the font size change which helped a bit (https://twitter.com/catnipgames/status/1250471378408689665?s=20)
    - Chris repro'd a form of this on his live stream, and discovered turning off 'camera effects' in Video Options was a possible mitigation for some
    - Eventually it was discovered that turning off the UI completely (F9 default) brought the FPS back to normal (video here)
    - Removing the 'skill tracking' icon(s) on the right side of the screen from the UI helped at least 1 player gain additional FPS.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Removing the skill tracking icon improved the FPS from sub-10 FPS to something that was not great but playable.

5. Echondas

Thanks - and that was with the UI enabled still right?

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes.

Echondas likes this.
  7. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

Chris has been working on this, but wanted to put a number against it: Issue#68373 created.

Echondas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.