Low FPS with GTX1080.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hawok Tadgard, Apr 7, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawok Tadgard

Hawok Tadgard Avatar

Hey!
    I just recently bought the game and started playing and I'm really bothered by the low FPS I get in this game. I've been looking around alot of forums and stuff and kind find a solution.
    My speccs are,
    i7 3770K clocked at 4.6 Ghz
    16 GB DDR3 RAM
    MSI GTX1080
    Installed on a SSD

I've tried all the basic solutions like updating drivers, lowest settings, turning of shadows etc etc. Nothing seems to work. Does anyone have a miracle cure for my low FPS?

2. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

Can you give some FPS and scene details?

3. Hawok Tadgard

Hawok Tadgard Avatar

Well I havent gotten that far, still in the monastary (alos the highlands you arrive at first) and the FPS goes between 20 and 30. At tops I'll get 40.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I am honestly starting to suspect the internet connection to be the major culprit, along with the 2d shaders in the sense that they are not combined to use multi-core capabilities.

If you can change your motherboard to handle the I7 in a way that would not interfere with packet related stutters, then you could possibly separate threads (which some expensive motherboards do) and thus truely use your computing capability. Right now obviously, the game and the handling happens on the same thread, I have the same problem with my "stock" upgraded computer.

Portalarium is starting to use custom shaders, it took me over 10 years to truely understand how to make them work together, I would guess they will progress faster as a team, but it sure is a complex issue with unity.

In the mean time your two solutions are : get a 100+mbps fiber optics connection with a more powerful network card... and buy a badass motherboard to customize your ressource allocations along with it (best).

Last Trinsic Defender likes this.
  5. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

It is a common problem and there is no solution until they get it optimized better, which they should be working on over the next while.

Tetsu Nevara likes this.
  6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I would ask the OP to check his CPU and RAM usage with an advanced program while running SOTA, I bet there are bottlenecks everywhere because of the motherboard. My computer barely uses 8% CPU when running SOTA, my RAM runs almost full and uses virtual memory, which sends instructions back and forth to the GPU, threads collide then and the computer slows down even more.

I'm using about 10% of the sum of my computing power as its setup right now. On the positive side, I know only of 2 programs in over 30 I have installed and that handle this much RAM setup properly to handle multi-threading efficiently.

I can compile 4K video with hundreds of tracks of HD audio and I have no memory problems... I can make 3d animations, my benchmarks run @ 50 FPS, and they are higher polygon count.

So Portalarium isn't really to blame here, because of the amount of dynamic objects in the game, there is not many other games to compare to. My comparison with 3d animation and benchmarks is more accurate, but they have custom shaders that will use all my cores and do not buffer overload.

I'm not sure how much it would cost to actually reprogram those for SOTA, so I'm not going to speculate but its feasible.

Nelzie and that_shawn_guy like this.
  7. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

What' really weird... my Lenovo Y920 laptop with an I7, 16GB, Geforce 1070 and gSYNC gets a solid 75FPS almost EVERYWHERE. My desktop with AMD -FX-8350, 16GB and Geforce 1080 gets a fluctuating FPS of anywhere form as low as 5FPS to a max of 60FPS and average of 38FPS.

I've given up trying to figure it out.

PS. Only game this happens in. Overwatch, Destiny2, Fallout 4, Bordelands 2 etc.... all run better...

Numa and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  8. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

The laptop may be playing both at lower screen resolution and lower game graphics setting, perhaps?

9. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I have a gtx1070 right now playing in 4K with my video setting on "beautiful" and I am in a large busy farming zone with a solid 60fps.

liz_the_wiz likes this.
  10. Cock of the North

Cock of the North Avatar

I would've thought its the OPs cpu tbh. It doesn't seem great for running this game.

Starman what is your cpu?

11. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

It's a online/offline issue -> see my old posting

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  12. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Yeah, it appears that system specs don't really make that much difference, there's something else beyond that.

That is why you see people all the time saying "I have (system specs) and my game runs great!" while lots of others with high end specs have nothing but issues.

Myself I have a high end machine with dual 980Ti's and my FPS is mostly in the high teens or low 20's no matter what settings I have. Other people with systems far below minimum specs run just fine with 40-60 FPS steady.

It's a mystery, and one that I hope the devs figure out soon.

Numa likes this.
  13. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I bought a new NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 simply in order to play this game. My FPS used to be anywhere between 11-18 and now it is usually between 20-40. This has made a world of difference - battle scenes with multiple mobs/players used to stand still for me for seconds at a time and now they don't, although they do stutter and I experience lag.

So the new graphics adapter has made the game playable, but it is still not as good as I would like it to be. I usually play on fastest mode with all the beauty turned off.

I have to use the E key to interact with items because double-clicking doesn't work most of the time (a known issue with low framerate). This means I also can't double-click mobs to target them. I mean I can, but I have to double-click several times before it works, and those are precious seconds that I don't want to waste in battle. Using the mouse to stack/click on glyphs is not reliable and is costly when fighting mobs. Unlucky for me, I can't get the hang of using keys.

Maybe my Internet connection plays a role in my problems. My theoretical maximum speed is 25 MBit/s, but speed tests show that my connection is never that fast.

14. Floors

Floors Avatar

Yeah the monastery inside was pretty bad for me too. There are some scenes where it's pretty good tho.

For me, turning the settings up and down and the resolution doesn't really seem to make too much difference. It starts getting a bit too "floaty" feeling above 1440p and the graphics improvement is somewhat minimal. I couldn't stand to play it on anything other than fantastic to be honest. I do keep shadows on very high not max. and no AA.

15. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Nope I run both at Beautiful 1080p

16. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

You could also use the tab for mob targeting :)

Kara Brae likes this.
  17. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I'm going to chime in on that it is possibly the motherboard and how it handles things around the CPU and Networking, as mentioned above.

I've only been running higher end, ROG or TUFF branded ASUS motherboards for the last two computer builds that I have right now. My older PC was built, originally, almost 7 years ago. It's running a GeForce Titan, and I upgraded it to an AMD FX 8370(?) or 9370? (It's been while since I have cared...) and 16GB of RAM. It's running on a fast platter drive.

My newer system was built almost 6 months ago? It's blazing fast. The OS is on an m.2 and there's a Firecuda drive for games, but I'll probably swap that out soon for an SSD.

Both systems run VERY similar FPS and have load times that aren't obscenely different from one another.

18. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

If you have side Thumb Buttons on your mouse, you can bind the Interact Key to one of those. It makes looting corpses much faster. One click to open corpse, and a second to take everything in it. Also, good for opening doors, chests,etc. Just go to your Controls menu and find Interact and then bind that to one of your side-mouse buttons.

19. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Well now I'm confused. I have entertained thoughts of upgrading to a GTX 1080, but I'm getting pretty good performance with a card that is nominally below minimum specs.
    Gameplay is pretty smooth, infrequent hitching and combat seems fine. Just checked and I'm getting 35 - 50 or better fps around Rift's End, a pretty big town. Averaging 35 fps on the overworld map. 50 fps through Eastreach Pass. Ardoris is slowest, mid 20's to mid 30's.

System:
    Windows 10 Home
    Intel i7 4820K @ 3.7 Gh
    RAM 32 GB
    Video NVidia GEForce GTX 760. Has 4 GB RAM instead of the standard 2 GB.
    After running around Ardoris a bit my CPU is running at 55%, using 8.5 GB memory, CPU running at around 80%
    Internet: Fibre to node, then copper wire to house. Download speed around 40 - 45 Mbits/sec.

Can anyone hazard any advice as to whether a large cash outlay would give me a significant benefit? Thanks in advance.

20. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Intel Skylake i7 7700K 4 core 4.0 ghz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.