Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Mac version OSX-17 Almost unplayable

Discussion in 'Release 5 Feedback' started by RuvalSioned, Apr 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RuvalSioned

RuvalSioned Avatar

G'day,
    Normally do not complain or post, but my experience so far in Release 5 is not encouraging. It is worst that 4 on the OS X, and through the freezes/crashes extreme hitching and game stalls. Totally unplayable both in single player online , and full multiplayer online.

I usually test both the Mac and PC, so far the PC version appears to be much better as far as the above issues are concerned and I can actually test the client.. this mac version is horrid so far.

iMac - 27inch, late 2013
    Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB
    OS version: 10.8.5

Issues -
    1. Extreme hitching/stalls of the game in town. Settings on Medium and even on Low does not make a difference.
    2. Unable to get out of town, always stuck around 46%.. after many attempts just to get out of town gave up.. either it freezes or I have to kill the process.
    3. footsteps.. OMG the footsteps, stop the horror!!

Off to play on the PC now. I hope the next version on OS X improves.

Cheers

Ruval

2. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

Agreed on the OSX issues. But... after a bit, it gets better. I assume it was textures still loading? The first maybe 5 minutes were horrible. I didn't think I'd be able to contribute anything. Single player was a little better, but it seemed to crash more for me than multiplayer. Life in the town is very jerky. Even when it is resolved though, I predict many crafters will spend time in SPO just to focus on crafting. Was kinda nice.

A few hours after R5 launch, I hit a cycle of

Synchronizing.. 50% Loading plots 64% Loading Player 86% Loading Scene... 49% crash.

Then I gave up. Hopefully better tonight.

Is there a log file location on OSX? I don't see any log files in the Applications SotA folder.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Floors

Floors Avatar

It's been like this for a while. It has nothing to do with the graphics settings, so you can turn those all the way up with hardware that you have.

I actually didn't have too bad of a time this release. But i'm playing at a much lower resolution, since I'm on a laptop, not on a 27" display at 2560x1920 or whatever it is.

For example I have no issues on 4000 HD Intel graphics chip...

Except for sometimes when I first enter at instance it's a little slow until everything seems to be loaded into memory.

So if you're having really unusual hitching that might be a graphics issue with the drivers for nvidia, as your card is much more capable than mine

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Guido DeVille

Guido DeVille Avatar

works ok for me, playing at 1920x12o0, full screen.

MacBook Pro
    17-inch, Late 2011
    2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
    4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 / DDR3 SO-DIMMs
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB
    OS X 10.9.2

5. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

The frame rate is fine for me.

iMac - 27 inch - 2011
    3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
    32GB Memory
    AMD Radeon HD 6970 2048 MB
    Mac Os 10.6.8

The only issue I'm having is the large number of crashes when I teleport.

6. lonadar

lonadar Avatar

27" 3.06ghz Core 2 Duo, ATI Radeon HD 4670, OS X 10.9.2

Was getting 17-20fps in windowed mode at "Fastest". Getting 3-5fps at full screen at Fastest.
    The former borders on playable. WoW, for me, was far more playable at 20fps. Hell, I'd raid at 20fps and do good.

I was delighted to find I could use the pan keys and actually move around by keyboard alone. However, it's much faster if I use the mouse to change camera angle, which then automatically changes my walking direction. Thing is, the mouse-driven camera view changes wicked fast - so fast, I can't reliably control it. Navigating stairs in a house, or other tight spaces, is a nightmare.

For the moment...this experience is not enjoyable.

7. Floors

Floors Avatar

some kind of driver issues then most likely.

You can see online the framerate in R5 is quite fast for many.

8. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I am at 29-30 fps on a mid-2009 13" 2.3 Ghz MBP with built in Nvidia 256MB vram, 8gb ram, Mavericks.

Edit: my fans are on but I don't see any frame rate dropping issue. I will check this out today again on my MBP.

Keira Of CODB and The One like this.
  9. Dhimmi

Dhimmi Avatar

running OSX maverick on a mid 2009 macbook and have the same issues after an half-hour to an hour of playing. game gets drops in frame rate/freezing and heating issues...

i'm afraid its the Nvidia as it happens on other games also...

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.