1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Magic, Combat, and Crafting Skills

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

Yes and Order is no school.

2. Logain

Logain Avatar

Part of my point would be... why ;)
    The additional benefit of order as in strategically planning ahead is just as valuable in combat as is the damage of a chaos storm, ain't it?
    Not to mention that Focus would appear to be natural opposite of Chaos.

3. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

But planning is no magic. You can see the whole combat sigil as Order ^^

4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

certainly there is not ever a magic user in the history of the world that used planned rituals to conjure white magic and circles of protection which is essentially planning to receive a certain type of damage :p

5. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I hope that the magic system gets revised. Away from spells being nothing more than "guns" that you can use in full-automatically fire like from a machine gun to something more special, tactical. Right now PvP fights are nothing more than Quake deathmatches, fast, full of action, everyone if shooting one fireball after the other... For me this is not magic, this is gunfire without guns.

6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Yup... some people I seen win in PVP totally admitted they didn't even check the hotbar, they made a selection of skills that made sense and are just mashing the keyboard using everything that comes up, only discarding and mashing.

This is not like UO at all, where if you saw someone cast energy bolt you could interrupt him with a magic arrow, then use the time to cast a bless to gain this 10 hp points that made all the difference in the end cause you managed to run out of line of sight and start a bandage as the other was trying to block your path with walls of stone.

Feels more like Diablo than ultima at this point... I like the concepts tho, the art and everything exept the way its handled right now..

7. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Really ?

LOL

:D

Hedbert CDD likes this.
  8. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

I do not know about most of you, but i don't have enough Focus to "machine gun" spells past 2 or 3.

Kaisa and Abydos like this.
  9. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Magic right now is just another weapon that you can basically use like a sword or a bow. It's nothing special, nothing "magical". In other games, magic is powerful and a mage has to use it wisely and tactical. Maybe he can just cast one fireball a day and has to think when to use it. That is the bad side of fast PvP. It basically doesn't matter if you use magic or a bow. A fireball is nothing magical anymore. And thus the whole magic system becomes nothing more than a skill tree.

10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Abydos, back in your den please... :p

Darkmoon you have to understand not everyone shares the same vision... they're used to "normal" and "EA's version of UO" and not what lingers in our respective souls.

We ALL should know however that those of us who seem so disenchanted with the "convenience" path the combat system has taken usually see it with a broader perspective. We know and felt and lived deep down our souls what UO could have become if new spells were created, if skills were given more purpose... to a certain extent EA did a good job, but was the vision we all can familiarize ourselves through the classical Ultimas even on the path of completion ?

No ! It was all an illusion, a shard within a meta-cube within a global positioning system here again proposed under the guise of the all seeing omnipotent "oracle".

UO wasn't ever fully balanced to our liking but Origin did a good *even amazing* job tho before King Gariott left (the bugfix list and the amount of patches was impressive to say the least)... so I'm left to assume this IS because of King Gariott and King ? Darkstarr's presence. The level of passion for realism and LARP style arbitrations and abstractions layers was PALPABLE.

Because of a latent will to summon the stranger of legend maybe ?

What if he's standing before you right now and saying that the sentiment is more important to the dream than the illusion is important to the abundance ?

What then ?

11. Borg

Borg Avatar

Which is that game that a mage can only cast one fireball a day?

12. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

D&D 2nd edition

P.S. I would LOVE to see SOTA make spell casting more like D&D 2E. That would be AMAZING!

13. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Best idea for magic so far! I think there was even a DM option in D&D to use a mana or "spell point" system vice meditation/memorization but was rarely implemented.

Malchor and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  14. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

^^You still had to obtain and learn the spells first though

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  15. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Bludgeons also can tear (rip) cloth quite well.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

16. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

And this made magic interesting. Finding and ancient tome in a dungeon and learning a new spell from it. Meeting a legendary wizard during an adventure who teaches you another spell. There are so many possibilities for great adventures and story surrounding magic and how to obtain spells. But in a game in which fast PvP is a focus, you have to sacrifice such depth as well as the tactics coming with the decisions on when to use which spell which I think is a bit of a shame.

And yes, D&D 2nd Edition was a lot of fun.

Malchor and Ravenclaw [BEAR] like this.
  17. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

That is what I was thinking magic was going to be like in this game before the pre-releases came out... too bad; cos now we are going to get a generic skill tree based magic system just like every other recent "mmo" has :(

Malchor likes this.
  18. Logain

Logain Avatar

Hmm, that response is astonishing to me. Are we talking about blunt weapons that gain their damage through great impulse like, say, a warhammer, instead of sharp/spiky ends that leave cuts? If you'd swing a blunt warhammer at a person wearing a gambeson, I doubt you'd see much impression on the cloth. If we're however talking about something like a mace with spikes at the end, then yes, I concur, you'd see massive traces of destruction. If you're slicing through the cloth with a sword however, you'd see the cut.
    Where am I going wrong here?

19. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

I have to agree with this comment. A balance should be made between the story depth of a game and the immediate gratification of those more interested in action only. Unfortunately most games have a tendency to lean towards the faster, more immediate gratification of the player base and the immersion and story itself tends to suffer because of it. I don't know if this is one of those critical areas where working towards the goal of magic and limiting its abilities is the answer but it is certainly an opportunity. One that could be used to make the system unique and special in a way that most MMOs have never seen. I just hope that, if not in this case then during future opportunities, some of what makes our avatars unique and personal will be based off of the work we do, the quests we complete and the story we become a part of through our own efforts. I want to feel as though I earned my place in the game and not simply had it handed to me because I existed there.

The avatars are who we are in game, it's what ties us to the world of SotA and to each other, and it is what keeps the game going. The more unique and special the avatars can be and the more we have worked to create it, the more we will identify with them. Our avatar is a symbol of our own accomplishments and is what keeps us coming back time and again to play the game. The more invested I feel in my avatar the more likely I am to return and I need the challenges to feel invested.

20. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

t
    Then it is time to forget that all spells using reagents to cast. The BEST part of D&D 2nd edition magic was that some spells needed some physical things to be consumed while the majority did not!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.