Magic Resistance Skill: Make 1st level passive skill

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by blacksheepboy, Jun 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blacksheepboy

blacksheepboy Avatar

Just an idea: move the magic resistance skills from being more deeply nested passive skills to be a level 1 skill, that any character can increase by being targeted by that kind of attack (similar to Resist Spells in Ultima Online). I think it would work best by being it's own stand-alone skill, but could also be the first skill in the passive tree.

This will allow characters who don't want to use magic to still be able to build up resistance to magic attacks, while still giving mage characters who train particular magic skills higher the ability to increase resistance based on their attunement.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Gorthyn, Pawz, Nog and 2 others like this.
  2. Floors

Floors Avatar

Interesting idea, the fact that everyone has to use magic to a certain degree is one I don't like.

Nog and Cordelayne like this.
  3. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

One problem with the resist being the only level 1 skill, you have people wanting to be a mage, that can't cast, that has to repeatedly be nuked in the face with something, to get over the resist hump, before being able to cast anything.

4. blacksheepboy

blacksheepboy Avatar

I mean being on the same level as the current first spells in the magic schools. For example: Blue Blooded (The water resist passive skill) will be on the same level as Ice Fist. You wouldn't have to level up the resist skill to start casting magic.

Mykll likes this.
  5. Nog

Nog Avatar

Yes, there absolutely should not be such a heavy push for traditionally non-magic character concepts like archers and melee to dabble in magic. And if you don't partake in them you are gimped defensively. Without an experience or number-of-abilities cap there isn't any reason not to take resistances. I understand that many will play any game accepting whatever min/maxing will make their character the best. But it's glaringly immersion breaking for magic to be a part of every toon - not to mention dilutes the coolness of making a conscious choice to be a caster. This design feature really shouldn't have gotten to be a thing in the finished product.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  6. Talimar

Talimar Avatar

I disagree from a technical perspective in that knowledge brings power.

Tier 3 nested might be a bit much. Tier 2 would be too low imho.

7. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

I would do away with resist in mage trees and put it on gear
    alternative slap it into focus skill tree
    but 1. would be magic resist on gear.

and then .. no opposites, either you do water or fire, air or earth, period.

Gorthyn likes this.
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I disagree with all of this. Getting high magic resistance should not be easy or quick. It's good the way it is.

9. Floors

Floors Avatar

I guess maybe it's less that it should be easy and more perhaps it might be nice to get it from a way thats not requiring you to be a dabbler in the arcane arts... some of us eschew magic :) I'll drink potions... that's it !

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You can get resistance from potions too but they're costly. Even at AL 90, I'm not able to gather the ingredients needed for those potions.

Anyway, the way I see it is they're all just different skills. Treating one as taboo versus another is just imposing an artificial limit on yourself.

11. Floors

Floors Avatar

No, no, no, you're looking at this totally the wrong way.

What I'm saying is, for RP purposes I dont' want to use magic. You know ? My character does not use it.

You're saying... I don't care... you have to do it because that's how the game is. Therein lies my objection. it's about how I'd like to go about playing the game.

Anyway, I have to use magic because that is how it is, but this thread is about changing that.

blacksheepboy likes this.
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

I don't like the idea of player skimming one skill off the top of each tree just to master resistance against it. It would be really easy to do and really cheaty, and so basically every player would feel forced into doing it.

Beaumaris likes this.
  13. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

Could do it in 3 skills, at different levels of the tree. That way some could just get a bit of resist if they didn't want to fill out the trees, then a moderate resist that was additive to the first and finally a master resist at the end of the tree that added to the lower versions giving you even more protection. That way you'd have the option to get some resistance with minimal points in the tree but to get the full resist you'd have to fill out the tree a good bit and spend points in each.

14. redfish

redfish Avatar

I think if we're only talking about very basic resist, its enough that non-mages rely on things like gear, rings, potions, etc. This is what you'd expect a non-mage to do, anyway.

Otherwise, you're just talking about a non-mage basically learning enough magic from each magic school just to resist it. I don't really even like the concept of passive magic skills to begin with, its not an interesting gameplay, and its even less interesting if non-mages get it.

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Then you shouldn't have any resistance to magic because only those who are intimate with a school would be resistant to it... for RP purposes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.