Magic resistance skills on the way

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arkah EMPstrike, May 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Life resistance is useful just in pvp and just for death mages which use lich ring, but even if for a little number of users it should be a candidate for warding too and Chris should know this. As a death mage you can totaly get rid of your life attunement for resistance since you don't need to use life it not to cast purify, which has same effect with or without attunement.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  2. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

This wasn't a complaint about how its proposed, quite the opposite. I'm a pure melee fighter that rarely uses magic myself.
    I just know that if you put in a resist skill everyone will jump on it and change their builds so trying to get clear information on if this would be needed. If it just effects PVP then there is no reason for me to look at them personally as I have resist from attunement already and the utility to use those magic trees if needed. If the benefit of using the resist skills in pve outweigh the cost of utility then I would look into changing my build but not until I get confirmation that this is the case.

3. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

I think we should ask this to chris in a stream, cause i am not aware too if they work correctly in PVE and imo they should work.

4. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Yesterday watching him make the actual skills, its going to be a 1 for 1 tradeoff. 1 point of resistance for 1 attunment. So if you have 100 attunment in a tree but all you really need from that tree is the resist, it will give you 50 more resist to train that skill and you can dumpo the rest of the points out of that tree and not be affected.

In short, the weight of attunment vs warding skill is -100 attunment in exchange for 50 more resist.

If it doesn't work in PvE tho, a easy fix would be to have resistance negate the bonus from the creature's intelligence, sicne creature spell power is based off its intelligence

Boris Mondragon and Gia2 like this.
  5. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

I'm not actually sure if that would be the case because at the moment level is not the same as skill. Getting fire proof in the fire tree to 100 gives you 30 resist so getting 50 more resist from a skill usually doesn't give you a flat benefit due to diminishing returns at higher level. Can we get confirmation on if this will be the case with these new skills?

6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I assumed he was talking about GM level but in the stream chris kept mentioning 100 for -100 and a "net 50 resist". The stream from yesterday morning where he actually works on the skills might have more info, I didn't get to watch much of it.

7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What I see us that you could train up warding and also the skills in that tree to ultimately end up with 100+ resist. This seems really unfair to those that actually want to use that magic.

8. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

So if i have 150 base attune, and that resist skill is gm... thats 75 resist BUT 50 attunement left from the base.

This is just going to make new player wonder what the heck is happening. Image the new player that come in the game, dont understand anything about how attune work, raise all the skill in the tree cause he want to be pure life, but get his attunement screwed up cause of resist and vice versa. Game should be less complicated, not more complicated... If it was easier people would enjoy the game more..

9. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

This is why giving out info on the go on stream is bad... See how many grey zone there is with this mechanic, but now that he said it would be done within a week or two, some people are expecting it. Now if he step back and dont deliver on time because he have to think more about it, they will be mad. If he go too fast and hasten himself and make it fail, people will be mad. Should really take more time to think about those kind of stuff. Coding is 80% thinking for 20% work. I wont say it often enough :p

10. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

One thing though, the resist skill in the Life tree is for Death resistance, so training all your skills in 1 tree isn't going to screw you over in that tree, it will reduce the attunement from another tree. Now as long as the tooltip reflects this, a new player will simply start wondering what attunement is, and that will be the end of that.

11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

can always untrain/unlearn the skill later too, and the mouseover tooltip for your attunment shown in the tree explains what attunment does.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:rolleyes::oops:...
    My characters are mostly like this. I do have one that is currently using air, but not to the level of using regs. Personally I think using magic is something any character in SOTA can't get away from, yet I'm hoping or wanting this new resist to somehow not be effected or taken away from by gaining any magic skills that do not require regs. (just my thoughts on it).

:rolleyes: Unfortunately this is the case on both counts but necessary.

The way our game is being developed, advertised and or presented to the public is sort of overwhelming when it comes to technical data or what I call "Speaking Tech'nolian" o_O I'm thinking we need a split within how our game is presented. One way for the Tech minded, Tech savvy, super geek and another that doesn't have so much Tech talk and sticks more to the basics of what's needed just to get around, or tour the game without too much "teacher talk".

If the game "looks fun", but then when we turn the sound up to listen to the commentators talking about deep specific and always important tech knowledge, that intensity of tech talk tends to swamp the happy boat with what's being technically presented.

Don't get me wrong, "we all need our tech'talk", yet what I'm pointing to here, are the same reasons we don't have kindergarten, elementary schools, high schools and colleges all in the same building :confused: It would be just too overwhelming, which I think that our game is at that level of necessity in learning o_O

[​IMG]

What's the solution... I don't truly know but there's levels of understanding that are all mixed together in one thing right now, which doesn't do our game's presentation very well.
    :rolleyes:~Time Lord~

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Gorthyn and Cordelayne like this.
  13. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I agree with those that want to keep the attunement and warding simple. With physical resist and avoidance capped at 80 max as far as I know, why don’t we keep attunement and warding to keep maximum resistance capped at 80 as well.

It took a long time and resources to get attunement and be able to cherry pick what I find useful in each magic tree while remaining a dual swords melee. This idea of unlearn to learn is bullxxxx. I value my time and I am sure the rest of us do as well. Keep it simple.

R/Boris/El Pirata/Not De-Attuning.

14. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

If the resist passive is an "alternative" to raising attunement, fine. It solves the age-old complaint about not being able to get magic resist without investing 30+ million xp or more in skills you'll never use. A lot is going to depend on how this is implemented and it would be nice to see published information / notes / etc. rather than snippets from a stream I didn't happen to catch - since I assume players are going to be the ones testing this it would be nice to understand how its actually meant to work.

Cordelayne and Dhanas like this.
  15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The warding skill will be located int he opposite tree from the magic it wards.

It will be a 1 for -1 tradeoff resistance to attunment. (f you have 100 fire attunment, and the skill is giving you 50 resistance and -50 attunment, your fire has 50 less attunment but you gain 25 more resistance than you had before)

ATM it is said it will be a 5x skill (which I think means it takes like 5 or 6 million to GM?)

16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Just heard the warding passives will be raised by using a skill from that tree. EXAMPLE: fire warding will increase when using water skills

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This is where I have a problem. Let's say that you have 100 fire attunement. That gives you 50 fire resist. You want to keep that attunement because you actually use fire magic. Now let's say another player gets 100 fire warding skill. That gives him 100 resist and -100 fire attunement for a net of +50 fire resist. Ok, so far so good. Now lets say the other player decides to train up fire magic in order to offset that -50 resist, so he trains up 10 fire skills (the 10 cheapest obviously) to 100 and now has 0 fire attunement and 100 resist. He is now twice as resistant to your magic and you, as a fire magic using player, can never acheive parity.

18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

hmm, that would actually make the folks who expressed concerns about the fact they they already trained all the magic to get resist happy that it just makes them get MORE resist.

But if the idea is really an either/or then maybe just give 0.5 resist per level and not let attunment drop below 0 would be better?

19. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

In case you didn't know, you guys have gone way over my head.
    [​IMG]
    Sometimes this place get's way to technical for me to keep up with.
    But please continue!
    :D~TL~

20. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Likely there would need to be a change so nobody has 100% immunity. Maybe up to 80% ish (threw out that random number).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.