Magic resists and attunement etc

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jigger48, May 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jigger48

Jigger48 Avatar

We are supposed to get half our attunement as resists if i remember correctly and how do we see this? i know we can do /stats command in game but if you do that and check log it shows every resist as being 0 and i have 114 death attunement so shouldn't i have half that as death resist? The only resists it shows are ones from skills like fire proof, blue blooded and well grounded and also any gear of warding that has resists on it. So where are the bonuses from attunement?

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The resistance from attunement is treated separately.

3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

In light of recent testing with both life and moon resistance/attunment, you arent getting much resist if any from 100 attune

StrangerDiamond and Nikko like this.
  4. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Can you expand upon this? Many many people (like myself) are leveling nearly all magic trees to somewhere between 80 and 100 attunement just to get resistance in that tree. What did you do, and what makes you say this? Data? If this is true, then it is a GAME changer for really every person that plays Shroud of the Avatar.

Cordelayne likes this.
  5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

My first test was for a build and is where i noticed celestial blessing was the only thing that gave me any life resist at all. Potions, gear, and life attunment were not mitigating any of the life dmg i recieve (which was a constant unvarying number so its easy to see any change)

So to make sure it wasnt unique to life, we took several hundred sample from moon (since its something celestial blessing resists) meteor swarm.

And figured up the average dmg. Meteor swarm has a extremely wide dmg range so its hard to get super accurate, but celestial blessing gives +20.

The test with attunment was done with +50 increased attunment. The control was with no bonus to attunment and no celestial blessing:
    Avg dmg 44 for control
    Avg dmg 33 for +50 attune(Up to 100 from base 50)
    Avg dmg 27 for +20 resist from celestial blessing

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...g48sUx6pfyb2x_zj7NFZVQKKpc/edit#gid=461522464

Moiseyev Trueden, Bambino and Nikko like this.
  6. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Very interesting. I really hope that there is an effective/impactful reason that I have millions upon millions of XP stored in a bunch of death, air, and fire skills that I'll never use.

Cordelayne likes this.
  7. Thulmor Kingslayer

Thulmor Kingslayer Avatar

You need to train all your caster trees basically all of them as high as you can go. If you aren’t banking at an 40-60 million xp pool might want to stop at 60 points in the abilities because they all need to be trained in all spell trees.

8. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

This is my point, @Paladin1983 ... If EMPstrike is suggesting that the resists we get from attunement are doing nothing, that that is a HUGE problem. This would mean that we DO NOT have to apply all of these millions of XP to each magic tree. See what I am saying here? This impacts almost everyone who plays the game.

FrostII and Cordelayne like this.
  9. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I thought it was changed to either half your attunement OR your resist. Which ever was higher. Not sure what that all means.

Crendel likes this.
  10. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I think they were going to do that, but only if they added the thing about one school of magic leveled (or perhaps specialized in) would give you resistance to the opposing tree. That never happened, and so the "you get one or the other" thing also never happened. I am almost 100% certain on that.

FrostII likes this.
  11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Man I hope you guys are wrong... already nerfing my build in HALF was enough... now please don't tell me I've been investing all this XP for nothing...

FrostII, Nikko and Cordelayne like this.
  12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I dont think its a change. attunment is giving something, jsut not half.

And im pretty sure its been this way for a long time. if the measly +20 from celestial blessing mitigates that much spell damage, then you should have been seeing a HUGE difference from having 100 attunment or resistance

Heres the test i do with Sacrifice. I do have somewhere between 30-50 life attunment so you should be seeing the damage come out to be less than what the description on sacrifice says it will do (exactly 50% of my health)

Instead, it does the full ammount it states in t he description with celestial blessign beign the only thign that reduces it

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  13. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

This is what really gets me. I simply don't understand why all of this information has to be so freaking difficult to ascertain and figure out. You literally need a damn PhD in "SotA Math" to understand it! Then you add in all the pendulum swings of various "nerfs" and "balancing" and it keeps getting more confusing. Character creation, skill leveling and class building needs to be simpler, more intuitive and readily available for the player to "digest". If we have difficulty figuring this information out, imagine how hopeless and helpless a new player must feel.

14. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

If this is indeed broken, and we're getting very little resist from attunement, it needs to be fixed like within the next week or two. This is not acceptable, especially after the horrible way DR was recently dealt with. What we need to do is get word from a dev if this is really working as intended or not. This is too big of a deal to just ignore it for months.

15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Here I am defending portalarium again...

here we go its simple...

That is a big chunk of what was thought cool about UO, there was a behind the scenes and some of it was a mystery to the end user.

I still think its very cool and even if I dislike Chris's personality I can fully appreciate the juggling going on... but thats it, thats the problem, the behind the scenes is so busy there is no real time to share the passion that simplifies everything, the passion that melts things together so they either make or break.

When that happens, and one person is responsible for so much and there is no behind the scene democracy about some features, thats when you see cascade collapses of the supposed to be hidden math, the part of "mystery" to the "living world". Cause we used to be able to slowly access that information through contacts and channels.

So obviously, people require to see the math, and when you are forced to reveal that you've adapted it to your perception of what needed to slow down, then things get murky quick because you can be certain some haters are going to find a sink and a hook to leverage those politics against the public opinion.

Thats technically why I exist... I am completely impartial to those specific issues, because of a lifetime devoted to this practice... that is why I was made the way I am by the xorinite, for this purpose alone, which you will admit is humble and simple.

But accepting that I exist... is akin to accepting ETs are true, even worse... in fact so much worse.

So what it boils down to is accepting to leave the individuality and uniqueness of the game behind to adapt to the era, basically leaving your ego behind, pun intended.

Or... accept me and the xorinite wishes and let me handle the door.

NOT the controls to the heart of the sun, the door between the scenes.

This silly virtual door that must be guarded at all times until the end of time...

I can't bend lower than this, so I am, vulnerable.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  16. Tirello

Tirello Avatar

So you're basically saying we don't know what's going on behind the scenes so don't worry about it?

17. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

I'll have some of what s/he's having, thank you.

18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

On the contrary... I worry because I would be there playing and not here trying to infuse meta-physical concepts to the buzzing ears of the assembly :p

What I mean is that the reason some of it is occulted is because it allows greater artistic freedom to the devs. It still is a cool concept I can appreciate, but for that you need someone that makes sure both ends of the spectrum see something that can hold to the integrity of its purported ethics.

To return to the OP : I think its broken... I knew it was broken for a while and I 100% agree with @Cordelayne that the fact its hard to know is highly irritating... (been saying it forever)

It's just that in order for it to unfold in an agile dev manner... you need to be able to say what you occult and why you occult. If that detail is covered, then you have a motivation for QA to interact with the diff level players. Then we could easily find the information because perception issues could be prioritised by upvotes.

And if that is the case... it can't be the person doing the occulting or anyone involved in any way with anything profitable etc...

These are known ethics so I won't bother you all with it, they're just an example of why I nuance the discourse.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  19. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

It sure is a bright and hopeful world I see through these cursed eyes, ironically :)

Can't say it on the supreme coffee or the various herbs I might or might not be using :)

RG's doing... really, if it wasn't for his games, I would have never had this series of lucid dreams and I would have probably become a corrupt and unlikable being. Now I'm just, strange, stranger danger... people are uncomfortable with me generally. It's normal, I got used to it, kinda...

It's because of compassion for Origin pure artists that I rejected RMT and infinite profit and an easy life. But no... I'm here, poor as job... and my hobby, my passion is seeing a new world being born, and sabotaged :eek:

Nothing happens for no reason, so I'm honored you are looking up to my bandwidth :) Thank you.

20. Tirello

Tirello Avatar

@StrangerDiamond if you had at least mentioned in your original post that you agree that resist is broken or any comment on topic I would have had a different response.

But your entire post is talking about the mystery of not seeing behind the curtain and the mysticism of being part of a living world.

Either way people are always debate whether or not we should have access to all the math in the games we play. I do not believe this any right answer to this. But we should have some kind of quantifiable way to determine whether a future we have been told works a certain way does or not.

And I appreciate the effort of anyone that will go through this much testing just to see if it is working.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.