Main Quests and lower level players

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Armar, Feb 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armar

Armar Avatar

Hi,

i did start two of the main quests, the path of love and the path of courage. Both quests come to a grinding halt because the required player level is too high.

My next step in the "path of courage" would be to go and meet the kobold king. I already guessed that the required character level would be way to high but i checked the zone in the wiki yesterday and its a 5 Skull zone. I am just starting to be able to solo skull 3 zones. I had the same problem with the path of love too.

Unluckily i need those pesky exp points for leveling (?!) which means i need to do quests and i dont like to run arounds as a second rate postman or dragon-meat-on-a-stick delivery boy.

Now, in classic Ultima games there would be enough "other stuff" to do and in UO i woudnt need those exp points in the first place (!). The game brings me in a situation where i need to do quite boring fulltime grinding for at least a week to be able to continue a quest.

As all quest areas are instances or at least can be instanced, would it be very hard to make the quest related zone a bit adaptive to the players actual level/damage output? So the Kobold-Kings zones skull level would go down to 3 skulls if i am playing it? Easy approach would be to just reduce the damage output of the mobs or reduce mob count?!

// Armar

2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

What quest are you referring to, and where does it require you to go ?

3. chuck5086

chuck5086 Avatar

I suggest partying up for quests like that in 5 skull areas. Honestly, a little break to go to low level areas and resource grind and kill the weaker spawn would be what I would do as far as "other stuff" goes. I'm a long time uo fan and player and I know what you're talking about. I was never much of a quester though :p

4. Armar

Armar Avatar

you need a damn big party of low-level players to be able to survive skull 5 areas. I did only 2 times made runs with a higher level player in skull 4/5 areas and did see that my spells dont hit a lot times.

I did this. I must have genocided about 2 generations of Kobolds, Wolves bears and Spiders so far.

chuck5086 likes this.
  5. Armar

Armar Avatar

The "path of courage" requires me to go to the Kobold Kings lair. I forgot the name but its 5 skull area. The path of love quest would require me to enter the "Necropolis".

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

And why do you think you have to go with low level players. This game rewards big groups and gives you a bonus for their gms. Like I just got my first gm and it's in bludgeons. I'd be happy to get a group together sometime. I'm Majoria in game. ;)

7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I'm not familiar with the "Kobold Kings lair"... where is it ?

8. Armar

Armar Avatar

"Skrekk Cavern is the capital of the Kingdom of Korabar, the King of the Kobolds."

9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Ahh, I have been there, but it's been a while.
    I'll go have a look.
    If there's a way to get to the city itself that somewhat safe, I'll let you know...
    Skrekk itself has no aggro...

Cordelayne, Armar and Numa like this.
  10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Ok, I went back to Skrekk to refresh my memory of the mobs that must be run thru to get to the entrance of the city itself.
    I am assuming that the "Kobold Kings lair" is within the city when I say that this is not a quest for a new player.
    The difficulty in making it "alive" to the city entry pretty much makes it impossible quite difficult for the average new player (with no help) - which doesn't make sense.
    Perhaps the quest is not for the "new" ???
    Perhaps their intent is for you to get stronger before you tackle it ?
    Go get more powerful, what's the rush ?

Cordelayne and Numa like this.
  11. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

You gotta be super brave to do the Path of Courage.

12. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

To each his own, I guess. Personally I would be less than "proud" of my accomplishment in completing quests if I had to depend on the kind advanced player or groups of players to run interference for me while I am rewarded for "completing the task". Seems to me the game is rewarding the person for teaming up with others rather than for completing the task at hand. To me this mechanic of dependence is distasteful, but again.... to each his own.

13. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

It looks like there is a shortcut to the Kobold's door just like the one in Necropolis.

Numa, Armar and Aldo like this.
  14. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

That is one of the problems: There should be no grinding required when following the story. This totally destroys the flow of the game. So I am immersed (yes, the dreaded word) in the story and want to know what is happening next but I am prevented from doing this because I have to grind. I mean, really? Why?
    Why do I have to grind when according to the Kickstarter page SotA isn't about grinding?
    "A fantasy role-playing game that will focus more on player choices and discovery than on level grinding."

So why do I have to grind? Or why do I have to group with others when I don't want to? I want to follow the story! If there would be some side quests that I could do in order to advance to the level required for a non-crucial quest then ok. But this doesn't seem to be the case. Even more ridiculous would be quests like "help the people in the burning house which is guarded by the huge troll" But the troll is too mighty so I have to grind five or six days while all the time the house is burning...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    Gix, Net, Jens_T and 8 others like this.
  15. Dantuin

Dantuin Avatar

I Agree @Aldo IMO there is absolutely no sense of personal accomplishment and I feel it is just plain ridiculous to have to depend on grouping up to do the basic story quests. also agree @Lord_Darkmoon this is definitely one of the problems.. I might as well just pay someone to do the quest for me.. look at me "I" completed a quest, feels so deeply satisfying having someone else do it for me..ugh...really?!!

16. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

Forcing grouped play to complete content only belongs in optional end game raids that have nothing to do with the story. This is a game with single player mode, so content must be completable without grouping. Grinding is an activity needed in MMOs to keep playing longer to in theory promote more socialization, it has absolutely no place in a single player game.

So all those proposing that the problem is fixed because the game allows you to enter MPO are not helping the OP. It is valid feedback that you cannot run thru the story without grinding because of difficulty gaps, the feedback should not be that it is the OP fault for not grouping up when this is the games fault.

The solution is scaling instances, and reducing rewards accordingly so that MPO still has benefit with harder more mobs and greater loot to divide.

Vladamir Begemot, Dantuin and Aldo like this.
  17. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

This is an example of where single player offline vs. single player online have problems. In offline you can have companions, but not so in online unless those companions are real people which breaks the single player aspect.

Aldo, Numa and Dantuin like this.
  18. chuck5086

chuck5086 Avatar

Well said! I think it's really awesome that new players can apprenticeship from grandmastered players. I think this alone is a sign that you should be party in up with as many as possible. The game is quite socialable.

19. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

He's cousin to Jack the Pumpkin King :rolleyes:

Aldo likes this.
  20. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

They should increase the XP rewards for doing the story quests or reduce the difficulty of the single player scenes like the Tower, Necropolis, the Crypt and Malice to resolve the grinding issue.

Stundorn and Sir_Michael like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.