Maintenance Release

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anpu, Oct 22, 2019.

?

Add maintenance release to the mix of releases

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    68.0%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. Other (Please specify why)

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Just curious about your thoughts on if they did routine Maintenance releases every few releases.

The maintenance releases would just be largely focused on bug and polish fixes. They could still add some nice things as well, but more focused on bug fixing and possibly polish.

We typically have release after release, but would introduce maintenance focused releases in the mix.

Would this be something that you don’t want. Or something you would like to see added?

2. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

We just did ~six months of Maintenance didn't we? o_O

craftymethod likes this.
  3. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Honestly I think a lot of us would be happier if fixing core issues and polishing/finishing existing systems was the rule, rather than the exception.
    Shiny new stuff to buy and/or "new" features once a quarter would probably be sufficient and would probably allow them to be released in a more completed state.

Cordelayne, smack, Gravidy and 4 others like this.
  4. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

They fix bugs and polish every release.

5. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

I'm not sure there's much value us players debating how they prefer to do this. We've argued for quarterly version releases before, containing thoroughly tested and substantial upgrades, but the devs have gone the other way completely for their own good reasons I'm sure, probably size of team and budget etc. .

6. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

They already do this. It would be nice if, as has already been mentioned, they would prioritize fixing the things that have been broken for years and add minor new items for a while... but I'm to old to play the "hold your breath" game.

Cordelayne and HoustonDragon like this.
  7. smack

smack Avatar

Every release / patch for every game in existence post-launch is a "maintenance release" if you want to spin it that way. But to the point of the OP is trying to make instead...

They used to do these occasionally in the past, where they'd dedicate an entire release only for bug fixes and polish. No other new content or feature work would be done.

It's certainly something they can consider doing again and I wouldn't be opposed to it. Then again, I'm kinda more in line with @kaeshiva on this. But there are ways of accomplishing this interweaved with new content releases, leveraging QA for longer stints before merging those changes into Prod, yet still maintaining monthly releases.

8. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

The shiny new stuff to buy is what is keeping the funds flowing. If they were to drop that down to every other month it would probably hurt their income. Plus, how many posts/suggestions have there been like this in the past? Too many to count and nothing has come of it.

Elwyn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.