Make crafted gear worth while - please!

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Carlin the Druid Archer, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I'm not yet digging the whole crafted items yet. In principle, yes, they are great (not arguing). I was just less convinced by the base stats of the crafted items I saw. My naive perception is that the raw stats are roughly on par with the items sold by NPC vendors but that the bonuses provided by crafted items should make them better. I haven't tested this personally so I can't confirm but people I trust say it should be so. Part of the problem is that it seems like a hassle to make the crafted items and repairing them is expensive. At this moment in time I just don't have enough time to dedicate to SotA to experiment. Perhaps now that there is some persistence across the pre-alphas I can try it out (I don't have to feel like my effort will soon be wiped).

A crafting system which is a hassle can be "good" (requiring much effort) if the items made are superior. It does mean that the casual crafter will be dissuaded from trying. If most crafted items are worthless (in practice) except for the highest layer then we will see grind crafting on the useless items to get towards the highest tier where crafting is worthwhile. My opinion on that latter point is that it would suck from a general populace's point of view, because even the hardiest of crafters will need to defer any pleasure (or income) until the final tier. I'm not entirely convinced that is a good way to go.

Not entirely, since the banks will be regional. That is a fundamental hurdle which will prevent the economy being completely global. It is always possible for prices of goods to be published in a central place (e.g. a website) which can be seen by all players. Naturally this means that there could be a single global price for any given item; however, I suspect that won't be the case since the movement of these goods will always require non-instantaneous effort. The result is premia will be paid for convenience (i.e. prices will differ from town to town due to the effort required, which will be some function of time / space).

2. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I believe it will serve the interests of the wealthy metagamers. By listing everything at one location one can sit and scan the website for deals. Go buy the item that was below your price and add it to your stockpile while charging higher rates. You see the same thing with in game auction housing. This in effect will be a auction house, possibly eliminating vendors and just doing player to player transactions. I do not like it, but again, there is nothing to do about it. Its the way of instant gratification these days, and the few that want to play the game as intended suffer.

steanne and Moonshadow like this.
  3. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I oppose the notion of a global auctioning system of any kind, make it local or not at all.

4. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

that's a lot of where the gaming world is turning, i feel. i do it to sometimes : i'd rather be instantly gratified at times, and other times, i want to grind for it. that there is an unobtrusive option to say 'ok, i'm roleplaying that i spent a week grinding for an item. but for reals, i bought it for a buck.' issa nice option to have then not have

The Hendoman

5. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Ya, its stuff like this that just sours the game for me. I have seen it ruin to many game economies. I can see *buy gold here* advertizements spring up on the webite. *SotaGold* buy it now, buy it often........*puke*

Logain and Themo Lock like this.
  6. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

if mages vs swords is never balanced, i'd roll a mage. and if there isn't any balance versus mages, or even comparably close I'd call it UO. :D

7. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

Which ones, and I am dead serious, I'd love a post about which items are actually worth crafting, and why, and a logical explanation to why. Short of the mage +int gear, mostly because I really want to hear someone justify whats on these items as being in any way useful to a grand scheme, or in anyway comparable to augmented platemail, and the default founders cutlass. I hate to pick on you as a person, but I am so whole-heartedly and woefully awaiting answers on what anybody is crafting that is actually WORTH crafting.

8. Master Kush

Master Kush Avatar

So the first people that started crafting and selling items should just not bother? Why wouldn't you be trying to do it, this is an "alpha"?

9. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

until it can produce something of value, can be done in bulk, or can be done in anyway simplified: ie: i have mats and can yield X:

what you are really doing is dealing with a finnicky unpolished system that is producing virtually nothing nothing but, wasting your own limited casual time, that said, buy my resources, i profit from this attitude. btw check vendor in owls head, go nuts :D

10. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

If you are looking for profit, there are several recipes that aren't yet balanced for their volume of output. Any improved material that has an output of 3 units can be sold to the appropriate vendor for big bucks.

11. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I'm not sure why you only quoted those 2 sentences. Re-read the rest of what I wrote.

I don't have the answer. I said I've heard it to be true but I haven't tested it myself.

12. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I disagree.

If anything vendors are the lazy option but they won't kill / ruin the economy either. For vendors you can list items in a set and forget manner. You obviously don't need to be logged in to trade. Which is not true of forums or websites (some caveats).

It is worth recalling that Sota was originally going to have a global economy and it would have worked. Forums and trade websites as in OP (which isn't Tue first either) won't globalize the economy as they can't. Information can spread globally, yes, but forums would always do that.

Runescape in the early days had no global AH or any sort of vendors. So all trading was face to face, by definition. A lot of trades were advertised on forums as it was convenient but the best traders were in game spamming chat and working their skills. They would trade 8+ hours a day standing in the busy town centers. Those towns were definitely alive. That wasn't me though, I was a fairly lazy miner.

The economy was global because travel was easy and cheap (via magic). The banks were also global. Hence prices were singular global and fairly stable.

That won't be SotA so I doubt that there will be singular global pricing on all items. That is subject to resource availability when gathering of course.

I'd say Runescape was mostly free of RTM since it was against the ToS and it was heavily policed. It still happened of course but didn't feel prevalent.

13. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Well we can agree to disagree. If you cannot see the problems that I have shown then so be it. I do not see it your way, I see it as god mode and having all the information in one place is setting the stage for a global economy and taking away from the regional economy. Why is there a regional economy in game now? Why is there no world chat in game? Its because they want to have regional trade and economies. Auction house websites like this are basically a slap in the face of Devs that have worked long and hard at developing a playstyle for this premise, only to be undone by external mechanics. Why cannot people just play the game the way its intended?

14. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I can see your point of view, and yes I can understand the problems you think it will create but I disagree on the possibility of that happening and the severity. I disagree because of my experience in other games. Forums cannot simply create a global in game economy, the mechanics of the game make that hard.

It is worth noting that these very forums existed before any pre-alpha. Unless the devs explicitly forbid trading on this forum then it was always going to be the case that they would be used for trading. The devs can still outlaw all third party trading sites, but they won't. So I disagree on the face slapping too. Respectfully.

Additionally, it is also worth noting that some people are so against any form of RTM that they fundamentally disagree with getting any rewards for dollars, including kickstarter rewards such as housing. They have a fair point that it could ruin the game economy, but where would that leave us? No dukes, no add on store either.

15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Forgive me if I have mispoke, but I am talking about external websites listing items for trade as the one in the OP.
    The add on store and the pledge rewards items are known and should be expected. I agree, as I am a duke lol, that the rewards are in exchange for donations toward the game development and if people cannot understand that they obviously have not tried to inform themselves as this has been the case from day one.

16. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

People ignoring the fact that the crafted equipment is better really confuses me.

Lord Rixus, Logain and Spoon like this.
  17. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

so, as stated previously prove it with evidence, mathematics, and any level of skill, wit, and in a logical consistent manner. As far as "it being really better." I wouldn't call 60% haste with a dmg yield smaller then 40; and at best 60 with crit, "better"

"If anything vendors are the lazy option but they won't kill / ruin the economy either. For vendors you can list items in a set and forget manner. You obviously don't need to be logged in to trade. Which is not true of forums or websites (some caveats)."

so, you'll realize with the digital age the whole "regional" thing will tend to fade out as soon as sotaloot realizes it can update each vendor in real time with a client sync, and feedback loop through an addon with cookies.
    So, that whole idea of regional set prices kinda takes a dip to anyone with some tenacity to travel, and some spreadsheets /google docs.

18. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

you mean like i have done over and over and over in 11 different threads? added to the fact that i actually test everything and level to 80 every release, participating in both PVE and PVP. This gear raises base stats and base damage...weapon + 3 available craftable armour gives a +8 which only leaves 2 points to obtain from skills to raise yourself into the next damage bracket. Base stats also increase many other things like health, regen, crit damage, defence.. all of which are far more valuable than 1 or 2 damage resistance. The only downside at all is the cost of repairing it.

Lord Rixus, Logain, Beli Mawr and 2 others like this.
  19. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

i'll take links to all 11; stickied in a guide, plus any evidence to suggest that's even accurate besides saying +attack skill is worth it, which i doubt the protection sacrifice is. for even so much as 20 points. that said, don't act like I don't value your input.

that said, as it stands, 6-18 x2 for 2 weapons gives you a higher yield then crit swords, assume 5% crit base, is your base. and no indication of your maximum crit

20. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I tell you what, pick anybody you like and both equip vendor gear, il come fight you both at once in my crafted gear. You will notice the difference.

Logain and Spoon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.