1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Make experience gain speed not dependent on pool size.

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Tahru, Sep 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

For me this is personally a really big deal. Adventuring and gaining skills is fun, but adventuring and gaining experience for a non-immersive pool that I later have to spend at a training dummy is not. Forgive me for being presumptuous, but I bet 99,9% of all gamers with the exception of a handful here that have been assimilated into pool building, would agree with me.

When you go into this game and earn a skill by actually doing it while adventuring, that is exactly what was sold and intended from the beginning.

Along the line, that dissolved into experience pools and using one skill to advance another. I get it, *** happens, you move on….

But what I find that utterly sucks is that people that play the game as it was intended are severely punished for doing so. The current mechanics favor people that break immersion and level at training dummies. And that is seriously messed up.

What I am calling out here is the feature that larger pools mean skilling faster. It is not just nor fair that if I go out and use a skill while adventuring it skills slower than if I turn off all advancement and hit the dummy later by a huge margin. We should never ever have to hit a training dummy. In fact, that was considered a no no when this game started and the devs refused to add a training dummy. I think it is the attackable gustball bug that eventually led to it.

All I am asking for is to make the leveling speed equal regardless of how big the pool is. I am not suggesting that the pools should grow faster or anything else. Also i am not suggesting getting rid of pools. Finally, I am not suggesting that people that like growing pools shouldn't.

I realize terminology can be confusing so let me put it this way...
    if Paul and Sara have the Gust skill at level 10, and each gust will add 100exp to the skill for Paul whom has 100,000,000exp in his pool, it should also add 100exp to the skill for Sara whom has 100exp in her pool. On the second gust, Paul would still gain, and Sara would not until she gains more exp.

My guess is this pool size advantage came from the desire for some to be able to switch experience between skills. After all, it was originally supposed to be super hard to grand master and maintain many skills. But this also has changed with half my friends having over 200 GMs. Plus there are now potions of guidance for 300% and other stackable stuff. Hence this pool-size advantage feature is a past artifact that is no longer needed and currently being exploited. How about giving the potion of guidance effect to players that use the potion of unlearning? The point is we really don't need this advantage anymore. Make them equal. In any event, proper gameplay should take priority over the edge cases.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    Tirrag, Time Lord and Pifester like this.
  2. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

If you want to raise a skill you should have it on with green arrow. I train all my skills in combat while I'm playing. You don't need a big pool to train the skills faster, you're kind of adding in an extra step that doesn't need to exist. You don't ever need to hit a combat dummy, unless you're doing it afk it makes no sense. Go kill things instead and you'll gain even more xp while you raise skills.

Anpu and FBohler like this.
  3. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I'm pretty sure I level any skill faster when I have it on "Learning" while grinding for XP.

Adam Crow likes this.
  4. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I guess you both are not in the know, there is a reason why players store up those pools. It is to level faster. This is even done for crafting. Literally everything. Just ask anyone with stacks of GM's. I watch my mates GM in a skill in less than 15 minutes, but they have 300+ million exp pools and they will be first to tell that is why.

I have even noticed it just burning a 14 million pool. When you get below a million, it starts to crawl.

5. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Don't get me wrong i always have millions in my pool. But my point is there is really no reason to ever store up and then sit at a dummy. You should always use your xp while fighting mobs and gaining more xp.

Player A spends 100 hours playing - 90 of it he gains xp and 10 he sits at a dummy and uses it.

Player B spends 100 hours playing and also just uses the xp for the skills he is raising and never sits at a dummy.

Player B has more xp .

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

There's absolutely no way that storing XP and then pumping it into a skill is faster than just having the skill set to training while your collecting the XP. It's mathematically impossible.

FrostII, Anpu and Adam Crow like this.
  7. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I see your point. Thanks for making that clearer. What I am saying, is you should not have to create a large pool at all. If player One chooses all the skills he want to GM at the same time and hits the trail, he should not be a significant disadvantage to player Two who has first built a large pool and is doing them one at a time to make sure the pool is always large so he can level faster.

8. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Your joking right? I know you know better.

9. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Crafting XP pool has nothing to do with speed. It's for resource effectiveness. You end up spending less materials.

I'll ask someone with over 200 GMs if it's overall faster to level skills building a pool or not: myself.

It's faster to level skills while grinding the XP. Sometimes with new skills, if you happen to have 20M+ XP in your pool, you'll GM it in matter of minutes, sure. If you do it while adventuring, you'll have more XP in the end of the process compared to doing it with a dummy.

StarLord and Adam Crow like this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This.

FrostII and Adam Crow like this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Lets say I want to get Ranged Combat from 150 to 160. I know that it will take ~227 million experience. If I leave Ranged Combat in the training position while I'm collecting the XP then it will reach 160 by the time I have earned ~227 million experience. I could lock it instead and then visit a training dummy after but then I would be spending more arrows and extra time to get it to 160. This is a fact.

12. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

On the surface you are right and should be right. If this was the case, I would not create the thread. But it is not. If you have 1 million gold and go to a training dummy you will skip levels when leveling a skill from level 1. But if you have 10k exp, you will not. I have done myself.

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What does gold have to do with training skills?

FrostII likes this.
  14. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

lol, you know what i meant... exp

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You first have to collect that experience, yes? If that experience is going into a skill at the time you're collecting it then that is always faster.

Adam Crow likes this.
  16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Ok, now we are officially going in circles but I am glad we are now communicating. So now you acknowledge that having a large pool makes you level a "skill" faster (like the guidance potion) which is what I was getting at in the OP. All I am saying is that is not right and encourages people to create large pools and use training dummies. I am not claiming that you gain exp for the pool from training dummies directly nor indirectly.

17. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Not sure we can compare a player with 1M with one that has only 10k.
    The system you envision with equal XP apply rate would ultimately create infinite XP pools for every player beyond AL 100, because everyone would get XP so much faster than they can apply it to skills, creating a giant demand for - you know what? - hitting dummies while afk!

Paul would need to whack the dummies for more than 10 days non stop to sink his XP in any skill.

18. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Legit concern, but so is penalizing people for not building large pools.

Not sure how to respond because we are all throwing out arbitrary numbers. But hey there was one person on this forum that recently posted that he spent 250 million on a dummy in a day leveling from 150 to 160 for something.

19. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Sure, so do I :D

Tahru likes this.
  20. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I can assure you: any arbitrary number you throw in the equation will have problems. Too low and it will create infinite pools. Too big and it will make early game totally bumpy.

Root cause: different orders of magnitude.

Solution: make XP transfer rate depend on the size of the XP pool, which is the current solution, which is a good game design choice IMO.

FrostII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.