Make Fishing Simple and relaxing -- (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Isaiah, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I don't know about other people, but I really enjoyed fishing in Ultima Online. It was ok in WoW but you still had to push the button at the right time to catch the fish.

In my opinion there are already many situations in the game that require your attention. Fishing is a good time to take a break. It would be nice to just throw in the line and catch a fish and pull it up automatically as it was in UO. I won't complain if it doesn't turn out this way, but fishing is supposed to be relaxing.

2. Corlag TheBard

Corlag TheBard Avatar

^
    |
    |
    THIS!!

Corlag "TheBard" BruDeloc

Forest Dweller likes this.
  3. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

We need serps! I know what your saying, believe me. Nothing more exciting than waking up to an ass eating Sea Monster!

Sorting through treasure is also relaxing.

4. Knight2

Knight2 Avatar

I agree, can't beat all those time sailing in the middle of nowhere on my own or with a buddy, and just throwing your line out and waiting for a bite. Best times...let us just toss it out there like in UO, as poster mentioned, and we can chill (eat dinner, talk on the phone, do homework, ect). let it be a relaxing time.

5. smack

smack Avatar

I think the fishing simulation should be more complex than just pushing a button, but that's just me. I think one way to deal with this is that if you want to make it relaxing, then the rewards won't be as great as someone who engages in a more complex action than just pushing a button.

And for those times when all I do want to do is kick back and chill with a few friends and not pay attention, then the simple simulation will be just fine. I just know that I won't get the super rares or whatever type rewards.

6. taxalot

taxalot Avatar

Sometimes, you just want to play a mini game. Make fishing engaging ; heck, tell us the size of the fish we caught. Have fishing tournaments !

Fishing was great in Animal Crossing ! Look it up !

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

It would be cool if there was an option for easy mode and a mini game mode NEITHER having greater reward. Same opportunities for finding good stuff. I don't believe you "should" have to work hard all the time.

Fishing was awesome to me when it was relaxing. If you have to do some mini game to get the good stuff of course I'll do that instead of the easy mode so I get the better stuff. But to please both groups would be nice. But if I were to err I'd rather err on the side of relaxation. If it requires a mini game to be so fun then why was it so popular in UO?

Just give us an option and don't require a mini game to get the rewards.

DavenRock likes this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Question:

Should pole fishing require bait? I'm not suggesting the game require you to actually go through the process of hooking the bait, but something in your inventory maybe?

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

If a mini game is "required" I may not waste skill points on it.

DavenRock likes this.
  10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Less complexity the better. If bait then let the pole be baited passively

DavenRock likes this.
  11. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Isaiah,

Yea, of course. The positive thing about including it might be that better bait = better fish. And magical bait = magical fish.

12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Look at what Knight ThommyGunn posted. That's fishing in my book.

The people who fished for hours were people like him and the rest of us like him. If it requires a lot of work its tiring and its just another grind skill. Your idea is good but I doubt you were a fisherman. Fishing is a repetitive action so why make it tiring? It may not sound tiring to add baits etc. But do that 100times and you will lose the interest of all the old school fishermen. In fact it won't be relaxing at all.

DavenRock likes this.
  13. thibetus

thibetus Avatar

Maybe you can satisfy both camps. Something were you can just cast your pole and fish. However, if you choose to put bait on it then you increase the chance to catch something uncommon. Also, if you choose to bait your line, then you just attach a stack of bait to the pole and it will continue to cast baited until the stack of bait is consumed.

This could also lead to bait crafting.

Just a thought.

14. smack

smack Avatar

@Isaiah: I think another compromise could be that all rewards would be available to the simple fisherman as well the player who wants to have a deeper sim. However, the rates at which they would catch the greater reward is determined by how much effort they put into it. Relax and want to chill? Sure, you could catch that magical talking super rare that can tell you the future. But it will be far, far less likely than someone who lures it in using skill, better tools (crafted or quested or otherwise) or whatever.

@Thibetus: I like the feedback loops with all the skills. It promotes social economies.

15. Saraken

Saraken Avatar

I'm with the folks who want fishing to be relaxing and not require much more attention than 'Oh, I need to throw my line back in!'.

Personally, I would like to see the actual catching of fish be relatively simple, but have a more involved preparation of getting to that point where you stick your line in.

- The crafting of rods, nets, traps, buckets (and dynamite! Hah!).
    - Learning how to bait for particular types of fish.
    - Catching all the possible sorts of fish and having an associated "Fishydex" that lists all the pertinent details about where they're caught, what bait you need to use, how the components of the fish can be used.

On the topic of having to bait your rod, though I wonder if baiting an area of water would also work, just make it last half an hour or something, so it's not as tiresome to reapply. Or, have it that they last X time, and while you have Y of them in your inventory, they auto apply 'til you run out.

One aspect I'd really like to see explored is the option of using alternate methods to fish, and to catch more than one fish at a time.

DavenRock likes this.
  16. redfish

redfish Avatar

Fishydex :<em></em>)

But yea some type of fisherman's journal be cool. Also a hunting journal.

What if you could have a bucket of 500+ baits on our boat, or right next to you on the pier, and any fishing attempt will automatically draw from that bucket?

17. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

How about instead of making what you find different between a mini game and just relaxing you make the time it TAKES longer if your relaxing? If you just put it on and sit back with a beer then you catch (this is just an example) say 1 fish an hour or if you chose to actually engage then its 1 fish every min. This way you can chose to benefit from putting in the extra effort or you can chose to sit back and relax and neither is being penalised

DavenRock likes this.
  18. theUnwise

theUnwise Avatar

Up for relaxing but wouldn't mind all crafts having something for fishing cook=bait blacksmith=lures carpenter=rods etc ha certain bait only works certain places or random cause I know in real life seems like they know its me and go for something new lol

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Urganite

Urganite Avatar

I would certainly like something more active...WoW fishing was oddly addictive for me even though it was boring, it was more like zazen than recreation. I have especially fond memories of Breath of Fire's fishing mini-games, but I would be happy with a more passive bait/method selection if that's what came out. I have fond memories of other actual-fishing-games (like the various bass masters fishing games) that are many times more active and realistic than most RPG fishing games, but then again, those games don't have you pulling up sardines like RPG's do.

20. PABS

PABS Avatar

Personally I really liked fishing system in Fate, Torchlight and Torchlight II. They were really simple, a little too simple for this game. Maybe it fishing technique should change as the character advances through Fishing skill. Such as "Simple - Moderate - Advanced".

Minecraft's fishing was a little fun game, you could do that for hours (I know I have). System can even go something like this: Certain baits gives certain drop chances and if they can add a skill that can make you see what kind of fish can live in the water you look. Not like an actuall skill, "Fisher Man's Eyes". Or it can simply relate to the Fishing skill I mean what is Fishing exactly? You throw the thing, you wait for it, fish comes and bites, you roll and catch it. There's no room for an improvement to be honest. But this way our little Fisher Man (so to speak) can determine wheter the fish breed he/she is looking for should be dwelling right that moment right there or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.