Make it fun, make it the best

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by majoria70, Sep 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy Cliff

Jimmy Cliff Avatar

i dont think the decay, death penalty or ransom really detract from the game being fun. they only add a bit of challenge or risk to certain actions.

i found whenever i encountered something fun in the game, it got changed to being not fun or unattainable.

i never got the impression that anyone was trying to build a fun game, and i got negative reactions for years whenever i brought it up.

the game plays like you are walking in water and the loading screens are frustrating. it is hard to maintain your buzz like that.

i understand there were reasons the game was made that way, but at some point those reasons should have held less weight then the facts.

2. Witcheypoo

Witcheypoo Avatar

To make it "fun" well, for crafters...i suggest a "bod" type system like they had in UO, bod stands for bulk order deed. In this way crafters who just want to craft will be able to make a modest income, some xp and perhaps even some rare crafting mats!

For adventurers maybe make it so that killing X amount of Y nets you SOMETHING special, whether it be some ridiculous deco item, "elf head" or whatever, maybe a title of Elf Slayer. I have waged absolute genocide on elves... yea, i got the furniture recipes but man, so did everyone else! and i HAD to have killed hundreds more elves than ...well just about anyfrigginone else! (yes, i know i havent but it FEELS that way LOL) REALLY looking forward to attunement towards killing certain mobs for the weapons, that is just awesome!

Also, achievements are important. Please give us a way to track them, whether it is cooking ALL recipes in the game, fishing up every type of fish, using every type of armor, finding every point of interest on the map or loudest belch...This will keep LOADS of folks interested! especially if you give them a pug pet for doing ALLLLL acheesements! yes, i would even pvp for that danged pug... would NEVER have a pug in real life as they are medically unstable and their breeding practices are cruel but a GAME pug, heck yea! (and PRETTY PLEASE make it snore!)

Now, onto continuing play-ability, we need factions of some type, some reputation to farm, be it for deco, outfits, pets, special houses, special gardening items, special fishing items, whatever! if we had to "farm" rep for say, Aerie town council to earn some items that we could buy only if we had that reputation with that city through whatever means you choose (destroying sieges on the town itself, killing certain monsters in surrounding towns, bringing in crafted equipment or items to turn in for rep)...you get the idea. The repeatable quests of other games are there for a reason. when you are "top end" you sorta end up going...why log on? if you have a target, a goal, that "why log on" question goes away, yes, they are mostly boring, yes, they mostly suck but when you are on a MISSION...you log on, you work on that mission!

Sorry for the novel :) just my 2c...or 3 hehe!
    Witcheypoo

Guppy and majoria70 like this.
  3. Justice Owen

Justice Owen Avatar

The multitude of threads on Decay system tie in nicely with this thread and any other on the myriad of issues about the game, being 'fun' 'difficult' 'harsh' 'repetitive' etc.etc.
    However what is the one common recurring theme?

Kaeshiva touches on important examples of a lack of consistency and I would echo that though at a more fundamental level:

• NPC Mob behavior - terrible, makes little sense. They use some of their best abilities at the wrong time and do silly things such as run themselves into danger. The aggro system is junk as well - it's pure proximity based and has little respect to line of sight.
    • Combat - Audio and animations are weak. I get flashbacks of playing EQII or Vanguard (all due respect to those titles)
    • Combat (NPC) - Works off a standard holy trinity of classes (melee, ranged caster, ranged archer). The encounters are often either a single mob, or a mixture of them all, where the only difficulty arises because 1. the Archer is super buffed and 2. the Archer/Mage exacerbate the aggro system issue by running off at random. You give chase, pause as to not go too far, and never the less, something aggros through a wall. <---just one small example of where it all goes wrong.
    • Environments - Clones, with different textures. Easy-outs and no real sense of being trapped or danger. Mobs are few and far between, and not particularly strategically placed.

Yes there's limited content, every game has it
    Yes, there's undesirable loot tables and systems, every game has it
    Yes, there's <insert general issue>, every game has it

The key is to have a stable platform that offers up frequently challenging and enjoyable gameplay. And that leaves a good impression - one that helps mitigate the damage of some of the other more finer point issues.
    What do we get instead? Stretch targets to have bigger pumpkins, more dye colors, new fish plaques and important things galore.

Meanwhile, the actual game mechanics themselves continue to suffer.

It's been said before, it cannot be understated. Priority is a word that seems to escape the developers and the rag tag bunch of players whom want to spend more time decorating their yard than actually playing the game are the root cause.
    That's great that you backed it with real money, and didn't get content wiped at launch and that you have all the best stuff and effectively retired, sitting around planting and pursuing your new career as a virtual interior decorator.

Some of us actually want to play THE game though.
    I presume this is a combat first, adventure oriented MMORPG right? Or is it just Second Life with dragons?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  4. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hmmmm well I think what's miss information here is the individual unique interpretation of "playing the game" differs for each person. Someone who chose this game for what you state as not playing the game features such as decoration and such. I don't think things are being ignored. If you think things are then what are they? As I see it the devs are addressing all aspects as best they can. If they are missing something that you personally care about advise them. Or use this thread as it was planned for to list ideas. Imo the devs are addressing many things such as user interface, quality of life, and getting already in game systems updated since they were bare bones systems to start with and other concerns. I have heard you compare this to 2nd life before which I have never played.

Anyway if something is missing for you personally playing this game then that is your wishlist idea. Right now the devs have a ton of things they are checking off and the game is under-going many fundamental changes that seem to be shaking things up. So as mentioned what's your personal wishlist of preferred dev time usage? Should they really ignore bare bones systems such as taming, agriculture, and yes even fishing and if so for what? You didn't say.

Edit
    And this is an old thread before decay was gone and so many other newly implemented changes;). If I were to write it again it would be different what I'd be rallying for. I am concerned for all aspects of the game being a great experience not just one.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  6. Justice Owen

Justice Owen Avatar

The things I've discussed are not going to happen. The game is live, it's too far down the rabbit hole. They've made their bed now. Maybe in five years when the game is on it's last legs they'll revamp the system and relaunch it as new and improved.

Besides where do you suggest we give feedback anyways?

• You cannot do it in a live stream. They don't take on complex questions because A) they cannot/ will not answer them B ) They don't have time then
    • They don't respond to forums posts
    • Companies don't let you send direct feedback to a specific team that deals with such matters

No, the only thing we can do now is educate peers - change their mind about what is important in the projects. And when the next thing comes along, like Pantheon, the consumers don't go over there and start throwing lots of money around, calling themselves an 'investor,' start feeding nonsensical ideas to the developers and demand the developers give them what they want.

Developers end up going away with the idea that their demographic wants fluff ahead of tangible systems, otherwise they won't make any money and it's all doomed.

As I said before, I blame the players more than the developers.

Which segues nicely into the daily message.
    They want to discuss boss behaviors, yet can't even address basic mob behavior across the board. What bosses are they referring to? This isn't exactly a game full of them.

And notice the message puts fishing before it mentions boss behavior or deck building; you think that is coincidence?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  7. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

That's easy. Email support@portalarium.com.

Or you can submit feedback and bugs through the forums
    I've been providing feedback along with others for years. Problems have been solved and parts of the game have been moved in a new direction. For example, the recent demise of Decay after a stream of feedback. Sure that one took a while. But it's gone.

Have an issue. Feel free to share.

Astirian and Jaesun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.