Manually multi boxing 5 characters in Shroud of the Avatar

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dread Pirate, Jan 3, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

@Dread Pirate Afraid what they were saying is accurate. 1 button click or key press needs to equal 1 input on one client.

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Maybe -single-instance should be forced?

3. Dread Pirate

Dread Pirate Avatar

@Chris Thats what I'm doing. Did you watch the video? Whats your point?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  4. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

If you’re just using Synergy or Input Director or similar style KVM to control multiple computers from 1 keyboard and mouse - this seems like a legit playstyle IMHO - but if you’re mirroring a single keyboard and mouse to multiple characters simultaneously then I think that’s what people are concerned about.

5. Dread Pirate

Dread Pirate Avatar

It's all 100% manual input which is all 100% visible to anyone who watches the video. If its going to fast for you to understand whats going on please slow the video to 0.25 and watch the mouse cursor and keyboard inputs.

Royou and Ravenscar like this.
  6. Chris

Ah, I think what I saw was autoattacks triggering that looked like you were triggering it. The rule has always been that you can't auto attack unattended. Running multiple accounts set to autoattack while only using 1 is absolutely stretching the limits. I'll discuss with people but you should not expect this behavior to be tolerated no matter how long it has been done.

7. Dread Pirate

Dread Pirate Avatar

So if I used magic instead and cast spells that would be ok?

8. Chris

If you actually were interacting with the client instead of just keeping it running while it auto-attacked. I think the easy way for me address this is just to enforce the behavior we want by not allowing autoattack unless the application has focus but then people will just try and run them as VMs or on different boxes to get around it. Seriously, when I say stuff like "THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS" I'm talking about this kind of stuff. You know it is either not allowed or absolutely pushing the limits.

9. Dread Pirate

Dread Pirate Avatar

I'm guessing you haven't watched the video. I'm interacting with all 5 clients constantly.

There are many people multi boxing. I don't think banning it would be a good idea.

10. Chris

You're autoattacking on multiple boxes at once. That is unattended playing. I watched the video at 1/4 speed.

11. Dirty Deeds

Dirty Deeds Avatar

It should be considered exploiting the game if this is allowed please allow botting only a small next step.

12. Dread Pirate

Dread Pirate Avatar

So if you multi boxing 2 characters and you cast a heal over time on one and the go to the other client this would be considered the same thing correct? And if your a fire mage using damage over time this is the same thing correct?

So you are saying that its not ok to multi box basically? Are you going to ban multi boxing then?

Redhammer likes this.
  13. CICI

CICI Avatar

Same thing with crafting =) no multi box

14. Chris

Your client MUST be active to execute the rune. Casting a heal over time is fine as long as the client is in the fore ground when you cast it. Effect over time stuff is just a slightly more efficient version of instant cast stuff, not a bunch of unique skill executions. Also, if I do this, I'll make sure it only even checks for foreground if there are multiple instances of the game running so as to not mess with streamers who might tab over to chat for a second.

15. Dread Pirate

Dread Pirate Avatar

Exactly CICI.

You either allow multi boxing or you don't. You cant craft with 2 clients focused at the same time. So if your crafting on two characters and one client isn't focused how is this different?

Royou, StarLord and CICI like this.
  16. Dread Pirate

Dread Pirate Avatar

Auto attack is great until the target is dead. Then you have to select the client by clicking on it, and press tab to select a new target. Then you wait for it to die whether focused or not. So just to get this straight this is your major problem with what I'm doing, the waiting for target to die and not having the window focused while this happens?

Your making out like I go to some boss fight, setup auto attack and come back in 5 mins and loot. This couldn't be any further from the truth of what I'm doing. Not to mention its a completely pointless strategy that achieves nothing. If I wasn't attending to all 5 characters constantly they would die.

17. NEILMHK

NEILMHK Avatar

Maybe we should think about why this happens. This can of course be just a fun way to play the game, but sometimes it is done when necessary. When the game has such a need, the reason should be found out.

UT is a place where most old players can solo. It is not very effective to practice 5 characters together. Some of them used to be mining while practicing in RISE. Isn't this more practical?
    The biggest direction of the game is to collect experience points and consumables. Consumables are excusable, but the endless chase experience value is not very attractive to new players. 6 million experience points per day may mean that players do the same thing in UT, daily, monthly. This is unhealthy for the game, and players only have high experience benefits in their eyes.

Many games only officially start after full level, including UO, WOW, etc., which are familiar to everyone. At present, it seems that we have not yet started. In order for everyone to start enjoying the world of SOTA as soon as possible, it is better to let everyone reach 200 as soon as possible. Think about it, new players will have to repeat the same steps in UT's dungeons for 2 to 3 months. Who will join? They did not even want to mine after they failed to train, because the monsters in the dungeon were beyond imagination. But after training? They will be empty. I hope the designer can change this situation.

18. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

Crafting would become a nightmare @Chris if window focus becomes a thing.
    I know when I'm smelting 10,000 ores I set 60 going and tab out to do other things. Even if not multi-boxing there needs to be an exception in there for crafting / refining because of the tedium involved. Most people are not going to have the game focused while refining.

Lace, StarLord and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  19. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

This is a kinda interesting dilemma of where to draw the line.
    From my understanding, the key has always been attended vs. unattended.

There are a LOT of time sinky mechanics (looking at you, smelting) where you set the character going and the character does not require input from the player for 2-3 minutes for a basic batch size. Implementing a mechanic like this is just begging players to tab out of the game and do something else while they wait for it. The next step of course being, to simply run more than one instance of the client in parallel. The smelting keeps going on one client while you attend to the next, and then you tab out and watch netflix or read the forums while they finish. This is fine. When it becomes not fine is if the player uses a bot, or script, or macro, to run their smelting operation while they're at work or asleep or otherwise not at the computer at all.

Based on that premise, if a player puts themself into 'autoattack' and the character slowly beats something to death while the player queues up another character and another, I don't really see a problem with it? Its not particularly efficient (a player playing actively using skills would kill a lot faster, imo) and you'd still have to tab over to loot, target/engage next mob, and set it up each time. As long as there is no automation/scripting/unattendedness, |I think its fine? Executing skills while the window isn't focused would require some sort of third party program or script, which would cross the line. But characters continuing in the state you left them in until you focus that window and interact?

My concern on this is that if you make the game do nothing when you don't focus the window, then you will need to COMPLETELY re-think the ENTIRE refining system because watching 20 hours a week of scrollbar timers is simply not engaging gameplay. The only reason most of us put up with it is because we can tab out and do something else while it goes. You'd need to rethink gathering system, too, because the gather timers even with gm'd skills and obspots are still slow and painful enough to benefit from tab-out-netflix-until-you-hear-the-pickaxe-noises-stop. What he's doing with combat is no different, except that he has to pay more attention to it and the attention threshold is a lot higher.

20. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Maybe if crafting wasn't just sitting at a timer / status bar for so long people wouldn't want to try and work around the system by using multiple accounts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.