Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Manually testing hit chance.

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by KuBaTRiZeS, Sep 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I've been mentally checking the amount of misses i have and kept thinking there's something odd there, so i decided to do some counting (it's not wise to trust just your perception), then get the % of hits i had. I'm playing an archer build, using air magic only for buffs and combos. I used Ebon Cultist Archers as targets, so all these attacks were shot while standing still. My adv level is 39 and my ranged combat is 48. All the attacks are either auto attacks, aimed shots, disabling shots, or blinding shots.

session 1: 190 arrows fired.
    Hits: 108
    Missed: 82
    Estimated chance of hit: 56.84%

So, according to the math shown in quoted post, this guys are level 67, or there's something wrong. I'll keep adding numbers here to reduce any error i may made while counting. If the chance of hit doesn't rise by the time i reach adv level 40, i'll file a bug.

EDIT: I wrongly calculated the supposed level of the enemy. Just corrected it... but the shame will stay forever :(

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    helm, Sara Dreygon, FrostII and 6 others like this.
  2. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I reached level 40 (it wasn't as hard as i thought lol) without even noticing.

session 2: 347 arrows fired.
    Hits: 189
    Missed: 158
    Estimated chance of hit of this session: 54.47%
    Estimated chance of hit through all sessions: 55.31%

Looks like 74% hit chance (actually 74.5%, i gained a point on ranged combat as well) is something far, far away. I'm going to spend the arrows i'm carrying on these guys, post the results, and then do the same with some weak skeleton archers, see what happens.

FrostII, Jivalax Azon and Albus like this.
  3. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Still got some arrows left... but i'm tired of counting :p

session 3: 220 arrows fired.
    Hits: 123
    Missed: 97
    Estimated chance of hit of this session: 55.9
    Estimated chance of hit trough all sessions: 55.48

I don't see this going anywhere beyond 55.5%... are this guys level 69?

Next time i'll do some testing on skeleton archers as weaker ranged creatures.

4. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

That's a very good question o_O I believe Chris said there weren't too many foes above level 40. (The obvious exception would be "boss type" creatures like the trolls, the phoenix, etc. ;)) The Ebon Cultists may have very high dex or other skills (like Dodge) which may be lowering your chance to hit, although I agree that it seems that you should be scoring a successful hit more often than you do :rolleyes:

KuBaTRiZeS, FrostII and Jivalax Azon like this.
  5. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I'm discarding dodge because i don't see any buff active in their bar. Besides, since they seem to use the same skills we use, the attack should appear as "dodged" in the log. It's possible that their stats or other things are affecting in some way to my chance of hit... but because of the way Chris said it i thought it is a flat chance, meaning i have the same chances for hitting a rock or for hitting an accelerated ant.

I'll be away from the game a couple of days... but as soon as i come back i'll test hit chance on skeletons :D i'm probably able to tank low level skeletons so i can hit them on melee, that's a good way of checking if there's something in the type of monster that affects to hit chance.

6. agra

agra Avatar

Just so you're aware, KuBaTRiZeS, it's possible to parse out the combat log, rather than manually count..

The combat logs are found in \Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\ChatLogs\SotAChatLog_%charname%_%date%.txt

Pretty easy to write up a parser for them in perl, php, python, etc if you are inclined, or wanted to send me the logs you produced.

KuBaTRiZeS and helm like this.
  7. helm

helm Avatar

Interesting. I've not touched ranged that much lately (for obvious reasons), but now I felt like taking a walk and spending some arrows with my speediest bow (takes a little bit less than an hour to waste over 1000 arrows :p). Have only mediocre skills due to lack of practice, so I can only handle low and medium level guys with bows (base level 37 in ranged, 53 in aimed shot, 35-ish in others, 22 in eagle eye).

And thanks @agra for the logfile tip (btw in Linux the equivalent location seems to be $HOME/.config/Portalarium/Shroud of the Avatar/ChatLogs). It looks like there are only two basic types of attack logs, either "attacks XXX and hits dealing yyy damage" or "tried to attack XXX and missed", at least I didn't find any separate mentions of dodging attacks. Did around 1200 shots, trying to rely only on bow skills, did not use magic in any form except healing (without which the experiment would have been quite short-lived). These tests seem to be more or less in line with what Chris stated.

Mob type : hits, misses, hit%
    -----------------------------------------------
    Awoken Zombie : hits:39 misses:12 (76%)
    Cave Wrasse : hits:26 misses:6 (81%)
    Corpion : hits:54 misses:19 (73%)
    Grey Wolf : hits:33 misses:9 (78%)
    Kobold Archer : hits:34 misses:9 (79%)
    Kobold Mage : hits:40 misses:38 (51%)
    Kobold Skirmisher : hits:58 misses:24 (70%)
    Kobold Warrior : hits:183 misses:95 (65%)
    Large Corpion : hits:39 misses:13 (75%)
    Large Desert Wolf : hits:68 misses:43 (61%)
    Large Skeleton Footman : hits:147 misses:75 (66%)
    Skeleton Mage : hits:91 misses:51 (64%)
    Small Wolf Spider : hits:37 misses:19 (66%)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.