Markee Dragon's interview with Atos

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ephialtes, Feb 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Dunno. Do you recall what time marker?

2. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

Would an additional continent also add expanded development time and necessitate additional income? He's estimating additional funds for a change that he estimates taking 2 years, so any additional promised feature would also add significant cost and time associated with it's development.

3. smack

smack Avatar

No, I don't see it happening either. If you can't work within the limitations of the engine you chose, then you're going to simply repeat history, especially if Unity isn't going to fix or address SotA's core issues any time soon (just look at the roadmap). If you can't change the engine, then perhaps change the (type of) game you're making? Provided, you really do want to solve those core issues or avoid them altogether...but I'll leave that for a separate, and likely more controversial discussion.

Cordelayne and devilcult like this.
  4. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

1:30:05
    It's either in, or going in.

Curt and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  5. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Nice! Thank you!

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  6. yinki2

yinki2 Avatar

make sota in 2D like ultima, maybe cost less and can be playable on phones? look at old runescape.

7. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Something I always, and some others, said here. I'm happy they finally talked about the lack of art direction and consistency, and remember guys, this has nothing to do with the game engine (the reasons behind why UE was better at that time compared to Unity has no relation with graphics and art).

At this point there is no point on trying to change the game engine, and like Chris said, it cost lot of money and thats not the big part, time needed is the key. No one would accept to wait 2-3 years for this and see E2 delayed.

Thank you for sharing the video @ephialtes.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  8. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

The art style comment just confirms my criticisms about the lack of art direction - there was none.

9. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Cool Video

I doubt spending 6 mil on a new engine would do as much as using it to greatly improve and polish the basic in game systems such as combat, quests, crafting etc.

Make this a complete game rather than a mix of unfinished content and you would probably have the playerbase to fund things like engine changes.

Customizing your own npc's for quests and such sounds great.

Spectate mode for people in your dungeon was a good idea.

10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I'm just joking. But I suppose if someone wants to cough up 6 million bucks for their own continent, more power to them.

11. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

So, a world was built upon an unstable and frankly crappy foundarion. Fix it? Or build on?

Only one answer exists. Fix it. But not with new money. We paid for this already.

12. Floors

Floors Avatar

Markee Dragon gets on my nerves a bit. He's got like 0 enthusaism for the game and always looks and sounds disinterested, or comes off smug.

And you can tell from his character he doesn't play.

Get an ambasador for the game who is actually a good solid player who is enthusaistic about the game and not just his own youtube channel.

I can think of so many better people this interview could have been conducted with.

Any of of the people that actually post useful shroud youtube content....Any of the actual players who are enthusastic and own towns and actually spend a lot of time in the game.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  13. Jimmy Cliff

Jimmy Cliff Avatar

He used to be enthused for the game, but the game really isnt very fun. I am not invested so I can say it. He is still a bit invested so he will not come out and say it. Anyone can be an ambassador for the game, post-kickstarter Markee has probably brought more people to the game than any other individual or organization.

14. Floors

Floors Avatar

No, 'anyone' can NOT be an ambassador for the game. People who are not invested cannot be ambassadors for this game. People who don't think the game is fun cannot be ambassadors for this game.

I am not trying to get into a debate with you over whether or not the game is fun.

You're welcome to your opinion and alot of others agree with you, but I don't, and those of us who still play mostly don't. I mean who really wants to waste anymore time getting into arguments over that, I certainly don't.

Just saying those interacting with the community and disseminating info can't not like it or be lazily lukewarm like Markee is, it looks and feels bad.

This game has way too many hanging around that don't like it, slag it off constantly and do it a disservice. Move on if u really don't like it, my opinion.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  15. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

1:02:36 - Markee Dragon's comment here really annoyed me. "I'm a quest hater." /laughs

Yeah man, that's fine, but please don't ridicule those for whom the Ultima single-player legacy is important or try to influence one of the senior devs like that. Kudos to Atos for his diplomatic reply.

Although there's a third group he left out. The UO and Ultima I-IX guys who like both! Wasn't that the point of this whole thing in the first place?

16. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

True. But let's face it, if this interview would be 100% positive people wouldn't be happy also. Being outraged is the new (well ok, not so new) hot **** on the internet. You can see this happening a lot during the last couple of years *shrugs*

Astirian likes this.
  17. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Reminds me of what a friend at work said to me. "It's popular to sh*t on everything these days."

18. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

I always thought it odd that the prominent community member for the game was someone involved in breaking TOS and gold farming shenanigans back in the day. While he may have put that behind him it is clear that his only interest in gaming is as an RMT business. That's clear by the games he plays. Even back in the day the actual gaming side of Shroud always seemed very half-hearted and it was all about his store and RMT. It's all jobs for the boys kind of thing though I suppose.

They should have done what Pantheon did and find a big streamer who had a history in Ultima Online. It's worked wonders for them.

19. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Yes, that is where I am. I love both the single player Ultima games and UO. @Chris

20. NamelessOne

NamelessOne Avatar

@Chris if you can indeed set up that "Watching other people in my dungeon" thing, then maybe you could setup a 24/7 livestream of random popular areas. Stream it to Twitch Shroud channel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.