Marking runes and travel?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Namodias, Jul 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vjek

vjek Avatar

Given that Chris confirmed the existence of gate/recall here, it does bring up an interesting situation;
    1. Someone is in OPO mode, and they try out player-to-player conflict for 20 minutes. They are directly or indirectly involved in some player deaths.
    2. They leave the conflict area, or return to town, or move to another hex, or use a moongate and leave the area. Maybe they use Recall or Gate.
    3. They logout, and don't login again for between 1 and 24 hours.
    4. Then they login in to SPO or FPO mode, or switch to SPO or FPO mode to play alone or just with friends.
    Optionally, before the player logs out in step 3, they are killed by an NPC animal, let's say a rabid giant bear or pack of hungry wolves. They return to life before logging out.

Now, how could that character be brought to justice, at the hands of other players, if he's not visible? How can there be bounties claimed on players that change modes? What mechanism will be in SotA to both prevent players to escape "justice" and allow players to play with friends or alone, after trying out OPO PvP?

2. rild

rild Avatar

But everyone will have the option to recall, so it's an option for the victim too. Maybe being able to do it in combat would actually help. I dunno, but I don't think the issues with PVP are strong enough to warrant removing recall. How do you feel about my other suggestions a few posts back? I think a strong reduction in supply could solve these problems. Keep it in scroll form mostly, or as rare drops. Make the player-cast versions near the top of an obscure skill tree.

I'm surprised at your opinion, because of your stance that it is the players' responsibility to police the world. I think what we've seen is in part a natural advantage that predators have - the element of surprise. I do understand the need for balance though.

In the PVE game, if you are trying rule hard not to die, then recall is essential to exploration. I would be ok if there were only moongates though, and no actual recall spell.

3. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

@vjek

You dont suggest that specially assigned bounty hunters should be able to hunt down people in dragonkiller mode too, do you? :D

4. vjek

vjek Avatar

rild, yeah, I don't think it's going to work, that's why I brought it up for discussion.

As described, there's some large gaps in the features vs. reality from a logic perspective. In other words, having recall/gate, at all, is the least of our concerns, based on the information at hand.
    Being able to "mode jump" to completely avoid any social responsibility for your actions, or potentially escape the consequences of your actions, is far more likely to be abused.

I mean, I guess if the stance is going to be consensual pvp only, then there's technically no basis for complaint. You only fight players that want to fight. But at some point, all of these convenience features will be used as escape tactics. It sure would be nice to know how Portalarium intends to deal with this "mode jumping", or if they perceive there to be any issue at all?

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  5. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Unless the ruleset prevents you from jumping if you have commited a crime recently: ?

6. vjek

vjek Avatar

I don't see how they could get away with that if it prevents players from "choosing how they want to play" if you see what I mean.

A simple example (more specific than my first one) is:
    A player is tempted to participate briefly in direct PvP, and are flagged as such.
    They now want to play with friends only, perhaps with members of their family as a deployed active duty soldier overseas. (just to pull at those heart strings)

How do you prevent them from playing in FPO?
    They'll say they bought the game specifically for this purpose, and are being prevented from playing with their family, because they followed the breadcrumbs to PvP. It's a no-win for Portalarium, because if they stick to their design, they're seen as family-hating monsters, and if they don't, they'll be seen as "giving in" to the non-hardcore non-PK demographic.

7. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Well, back in the day, UO at its finest was never a casual game for Hello Kitty Online vetarans.

You couldnt kill nine people, go red and then say "but RG, I wanna go blue now, I am a soldier deployed in Afghanistan and I want to play with my wife and my 3 year old daughter, please".

The game was more of an emulation, a world in itself, and we had to obey the ruleset.

So yes, if you go steal something from someone, then crush someone's skull with a maul and take their backpack yes, you should be prevented from just escaping to the safety of the PvE ruleset for some time.

Thats the only thing, actually, that differs RG's games from WoW-like games.
    Dont you agree?

8. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

If were against escaping during an attack what about friends having a rune that will recall them to where you are at.
    So if I get attacked while mining then I could alert some friends who then can recall in and help?

9. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

@jondavis
    Thats about the most casual suggestion ive heard so far on this forum.

Even in the most casual mmo so far, WoW, you couldnt just teleport to anyone.
    You needed a warlock and two others to cast a summoning ritual to summon someone...

10. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

The conversation is still early. :)

11. God

God Avatar

Why would you want to hunt them to extinction? PK's are part of the game.

12. rild

rild Avatar

@vjek I'm sorry I didn't see your post and was responding to Owain. I don't exactly understand the technical issues, but I appreciate your bringing it up. In all my comments I am assuming the mechanics will not be a problem. My suggestions are about mitigating overuse of recall while maintaining its power and aligning it with the story. I'd like to hear a little more from the devs about solving the "mode jumping" problem.

13. God

God Avatar

Plus, if I remember correctly, you couldn't recall while in combat.. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If you died, what's wrong with them leaving the area?
    What if you die near a moon gate and they jump to a different town.. Kill moon gates too?

14. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Maybe for the same reason why PKs want to hunt everyone else? Because thats a playstyle?

15. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

PK's are a part of which game, this one or a previous one? I don't think it's known either way just yet.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

16. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Magneficent, has science gone too far? :O

17. God

God Avatar

Games in general.

18. Owain

Owain Avatar

Why on earth would you want to?

As long as a player can't switch modes other than in a safe area, such as in a town, switching from open PvP to another mode is pretty much like logging out. You take yourself out of the PvP environment. Do you have a problem with allowing people to log out?

19. Owain

Owain Avatar

It's a goal, perhaps one that's not achievable. Like cockroaches, there will always be PKs. :D

20. vjek

vjek Avatar

I brought this point up because you raised the concern of being able to kill and escape without consequence in UO, and didn't want to see it in SotA.

So far, as described, the "mode jumping" mechanic permits exactly that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.