Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Massive CPU temperature increase

Discussion in 'Release 6 Feedback' started by Vampiro, May 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vampiro

Vampiro Avatar

Dear all,

I encounter a massive increase in CPU temperature as soon as I enter the game.

- Xeon 1231v3 with boxed fan. The chassis has two fans.

CPU temperature measured with both CPUID HW Monitor and F-Stream Tuning (from the mainboard manufacturer).

Prior to starting the game the CPU temperature is around 40 degree Celsius. Less than one minute into the game it increases to nearly 100 degree Celsius on every single core. That is when I quit the game. The temperature than drops more than 30 degree within seconds and 1 minute max later it is again 40 degree.

Not quite sure this is normal, 100 degree without actually doing anything but starting the game seems a bit much. I have tried several times - with the same results.

I don't dare playing the game at all with such a high CPU temperature.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. mike11

mike11 Avatar

yup.... it makes my brand new system work hard. It is normal and mostly expected in most cases.

Performance has been decent for my R6 so far. I actually turned my OC down to keep my overall temp down a bit more because of Sota.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

my CPU is a Phenom II X6 and it doesn't go that high... max is 40 to 50 C... my GPU goes up to 60 C though...

Time Lord likes this.
  4. selbie

selbie Avatar

Are you sure it's not farenheit? I thought CPUs have a limit of around 80-90C and then they cut out? or do Xeon CPUs have a higher tolerance?

I recommend trying other games in case you have some bad contact with the thermal paste.

Time Lord and Retro like this.
  5. Borg

Borg Avatar

Totally unplayable eats all resources CPU + RAM even at lowest detail setup.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Yes, an alarm should sound off & auto shut down should accure, unless you turned it off in BIOS, 100C is something to worry about check to make sure it's set for C and not F, if it's 100F that's not hot at all...

If your CPU is fast to begin with, you shouldn't need to OC it, just a thought...

My CPU is running 63c / 145f at 3.6GHtz on 8 cores, i7 2600K

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I have two PC's. One runs the game very well, the other crashes within minutes due to the temp increase. I originally thought it was a memory leak caused by an outdated graphics card, but after being yelled at in many forums I took the advice of someone that suggested it was due to the cpu overheating and shutting down as a fail safe.

I'm not sure why one PC (or graphics card) is able to handle it and the other is not. But I agree that the game runs hot.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Grab a fan and position it so it pushes air around the left edge of your case to the back. If that doesn't fix it, consider tuning down your OC, and if even that doesn't do it, reapply the processor's thermal paste. Like the game's opening disclaimer says, the engine isn't optimized yet, but your processor shouldn't be getting that hot unless either it's generating way too much heat or it's not able to transfer enough heat away from it.

Also, your computer should definitely be shutting down somewhere below 100C unless you changed or disabled the setting in BIOS, which would be really bad. That setting is there to protect your components and to decrease the risk of fire.

9. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

If you have heat issues with a processor, the very first thing to do is to clear out any dust or pet fur that might be blocking air flow inside your case. If that doesn't help, the thermal paste between the processor and its heat sink probably needs to be reapplied. That stuff dries out and cracks with time, and when it cracks, air pockets form that act as insulators. That's no fun for a hot running CPU.

10. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Do you happen to have a separate video card or is the graphics work also done by the CPU? (The Xeon mentioned does not have that functionality, but other CPUs may have.)
    Also in forums you find from time to time, that the boxed cooler is not always enough, once the CPU is stressed more - so in typical game situations.
    And another potential reason - is the temperature in case increasing during gameplay (maybe due to the heated video card) a lot? In this case there is eventually not enough cold air there to support the cooling, which will cause also an increase of temperature.
    For the cooler itself: These tend to collect a lot of dust. Did you check, that the cooler rips are free from dust?
    Sometimes you may also see, that the heatsink paste between CPU and cooler is not well distributed, so a renewal of that can help.

*Salute*
    Olahorand

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

I have the same issue. I R5 everything was fine, yeah it was warm but I got no trouble, could still touch the keyboard. Within R6 I have to be careful, after a hour the laptop is nearly untouchable on the cpu side (direct under WASD). So after an hour I got kicked out of the game with no real reason found in the logfiles. I think it was always in Owls Head. What scares me most, it also run high even when I was standing in my House in Owls Head, facing a wall and do nothing. And there is no difference between fastest and highest mode. So it is not really a graphic issue.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

SOTA def burns the heck out of my laptop but my gamer tower I don't notice any difference at all, maybe you need more ram or a diff videocard? dunno.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Kirthag

Kirthag Avatar

I thread my memory as well as vram and ther is a definitive spike in resource hogging with SotA this round. Especially when I attempt to use the fantastic graphics setting (which I never had an issue with in other releases). This release, my fans are screaming to keep the system cool. Tried to stream some live via twitch and yes... cpu can only manage it all for about hour to hour and half. After this streaming session, I won't be streaming again during this release.

Turned graphics back to fastest and game is all choppy.

I expect resource hogging - is why I set my rigs profile to bare minimum on other resources and thread all my memory in very specific ways. Didn't expect this kind of load though. I can play WoW and EVE (both resource intensive games) at the same time and not have this kind of reaction from my rig.

m'thinks more optimizing is necessary.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

noob question: if I add two new fans as exhaust will it use too much power from my Power Supply Unit... thanks...

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

Not unless they are about the size of a car.

To the OP, 100C is not normal no matter what load you are or are not running through your PC, and dangerous. Check your CPU heatsink for dustbunnies and clean them all out, ensure all dust is cleaned out from your case where fans are involved. If you are still running a temperature you may wish to remove the fan and heatsink and put a small amount of thermal paste between your CPU and heatsink contact area. Possibly add a better fan.

If you do all of the above and it doesn't work, your CPU is now faulty.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

oh no, it's just a case fan... hehehe ^_^

[​IMG]

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

You got me thinking (and a bit worried:eek:) as I just bought a new rig and didn't want to damage it. The laptop was "handling" up to R5 OK, with video turned down to fastest; still got a bit warm. The current rig - Intel 4820 i7 @ 3.7 Gh, 16 G RAM, NVidia GTX760 4 GB video card handles things well - with settings maxed out - CPU peaked at 53 while fighting liches under Owlshead with a party of 6. There are 2 big fans I can see on the outside of the case; add one each for CPU and video card and I guess I've got 4.
    I don't doubt the game is demanding; maybe future optimization will improve things. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones at present; hope things get better for you in future.

18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"The Burning Question"
    [​IMG]
    "This is a Very Serious Issue That Needs for Our Portalarium Staff To Discuss and Give Feedback to Us ASAP"
    The thought of burning up or placing anyone's anyone's computer at risk is a very serious thing and no laughing matter!
    The Cannibal question is less important than this one...
    ~Time Lord~ o_O

Eriador, Jambo, Iona and 5 others like this.
  19. CooperSmith

CooperSmith Avatar

Just out of curiosity I decided to check the CPU temps on my system (i7-2600K OC'd to 4.4G, 16G RAM). Running around Owls Head, windowed mode so I could see the numbers, the CPU temp hit 44C and the game was using about 2.4G of memory. Exiting the game, CPU temp dropped to 37C. Temp numbers came from the ASUS AI Suite software, memory from TaskManager.

A suggestion might be to check your BIOS fan speed setting. It could be set to a "quiet" mode.

Sindariya and Time Lord like this.
  20. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

Have nearly same temp difference around 30°C when starting SotA.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.