Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Masterwork/Enchanting failure changes assumed power of item

Discussion in 'Release 53 QA Feedback Forum' started by Oakenhammer, Apr 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

Note: I reported this issue as a bug in case this was not intentional

To the issue at hand...in addition to the durability loss of the item on failure at Masterworking or Enchanting, the + number on items is also reduced by 1. This reduction is a bit counterintuitive as the relative power of the item is not changed by the loss of durability.

In the image below, the item has modifiers to be a +7 weapon, but the failures cause it to show as a +3. That being said, I can understand the +1 granted by the Exceptional crafting to be lost after negating the added durability, but the additional reductions cause confusion when comparing the power of this item to other +3s.

[​IMG]

Rentier and Sara Dreygon like this.
  2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I disagree, with a slight different point at the end.

First, apple to oranges comparison. The one on the right is heavily used. If you were comparing two new swords, it would have 50/50 durability, and be very usable. The one on the left is 10/10 at max, so starts out on deaths door.

Second, durability is a primary thing I look at when buying. Exceptional is an automatic big boost to price, non-exceptional a 1/2 crafting cost "inferior" piece.

Knocking 25 durability off of it is a big deal. Doing it 4x basically makes the piece worthless. I would price it less than a +3 with no failures.

Honestly the right one has so little durability that it would go in the give away box.

However, I will agree we could use some better signage. I'm not sure that only a +1 for Exceptional is enough. Perhaps a designer look, quickly, release is coming, at the + value of different things?

And it could be easier to pick them out by putting exceptional at the start of the name. Damaged in the name, for failures?

Of course, some of the names are insanely long anyway, so I don't think that would work.

----

Different point at the end, a bit of topic but maybe not, since these two swords are being compared.

Figuring out used or not is buried. How it should read is this:

Longsword - Bladed
    Durability 10/19
    Max Durability 50 (100 - 50)

That way you can immediately see "Oh, this is a used piece"

Right now, the Max Durability needs to be determined with The Maths on the part of the user. For items with 8 durability hits, etc, it can take a bit of time to figure out if its used.

Just print it there, and make life easy for us.

Rentier likes this.
  3. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

I wasn't intending to compare the one I crafted to the one I had equipped--that was just some heavily worn practice sword I had equipped at the moment. I'll crop the image to eliminate the confusion.

The issue at hand is that the DPS output of the weapon I crafted is the same as a +6, but it's being shown as a +3. In my understanding, the + number denotes the power of the item and not necessarily the overall "value" since that value is highly subjective based on build and playstyle. While it is true this craft sword has little actual gold value due to being masterworked to death in the name of testing, it still has the DPS output of a +6 sword, despite its expected short lifespan.

The name on the item is inconsistent with it's relative power and it will increase the level of effort required to understand why this +3 is so much different than another +3 and how it could be more powerful than say a +5. I would rather have this sword show a +7 or +6 than have it lose +1s on every failure. That way when players are evaluating items, they can easily understand its relative power from the name (e.g. +6 or 7) and see the low durability to understand that it won't have a very long shelf life.

4. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I never pay much attention to the plus value of an item(maybe just in a general sense.) I've had +17 Wands that are ok, but had +14 wands that were better. The pluses seemed to only be a reflection of how many enchant/MW's are on it and now it is more of a reflection of how many successful Ench/MW's. Also, it used to be that Major (insert stat here) modifications would add an extra +1 to gear(along with more Dur loss.) There were also Durability Mods that added +1, which used no durability. Bottom line is, I never payed much heed to the plus on the gear label. Although it seems confusing, it is also representative of the multiple failures on the weapon and may serve as a good indicator that 'the weapon has problems.'

Diab Blackbow likes this.
  5. Sir Leonard

Sir Leonard Localization Team

Actually the numbers are correct. Each failure is counting as a -1 buff (reduced durability), so although your weapon “hits as a +7”, overall this is a powerful blade with a severe crippled durability.

So yeah, math is right. :)

6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

The bug should be that you master worked an item 7 time that would be in the negative number for percentages of success??

I thought it was going to lock the item so it is not destroyed and that would be the last attempt you had on the item. As it looks they just turned off failure = destroying and all it means now is a reduction of durability??

Sure 10 durability is low but if I get the buffs, right skills, . . . 10 will still last forever.

Needs to be what was advertised - failure = loss of durability and the item should not be able to be masterworked further.

All we are going to see added to the loot tables are completely useless items that have a ton of properties but can not use them.

7. Sir Leonard

Sir Leonard Localization Team

Actually durability effectiveness is being capped at 75%, so you can’t have indestructible items anymore.

About the changes to making it impossible to masterwork further, this has been removed and they changed their minds. The same happened with specialization where you could only have one active, but at the end of the release ended up having 2 available (one training, one maintaining).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.