Maximum size of abc files is just to low

Discussion in 'Feedback Archive' started by Toular, Apr 16, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toular

Toular Avatar

Is it just me, or is the maximum size of abc files far to low?

Just spent about an hour converting a midi of "Tubular Bells" ( a progressive rock song from the early 1970's) to four separate abc files - intended for four instruments. Three of the instrument's abc files were playable, but sadly the lead instrument file (intended for grand piano) was too big.

Is there any reason the maximum size of abc files can't be increased? I mean the player music system was introduced ... what, like 5 years ago? Isn't it about time for an update?

Oh, I suppose I should mention that Tubular Bells has a play time of like 45 minutes.

Guess I can reduce the file size a bit by splitting some of the parts into more instruments. Hard enough to get 2 players, let alone 5 or 6...

Next on my list of projects ... Pink Flloyd's "Echos"; it's only 20 minutes. ish.

majoria70 likes this.
  2. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

45 minutes ? Ain't no body got time for dat! ;)

3. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

45-minute play time sounds like the …. moonshot …. of ABC projects to me.

Good work! Too bad it wont play (yet)!

4. Toular

Toular Avatar

I seem to have mistook the total length for some other number - it's not 45 minutes; it's only 17 minutes. Not sure where I got that 45 minute thing.

Actually, I have been able to get it done in the form of 4 separate files for 4 instruments:
    Tubular Bells-Drum.abc
    Tubular Bells-Lute.abc
    Tubular Bells-Piano.abc
    Tubular Bells-Recorder.abc

And the band file.

Unfortunately because the current state of the music system is a bit ... iffy ... it's not working well. I have two characters on the two computers I have available, with one playing a one-man band lute/drum and the other on the grand piano. The recorder piece is "minor" with it being mostly things like "Choir ahhhs". So, it can be skipped.

Of course, I have to mute one of the computers because although they are playing "synched" it doesn't come out of the two computer's speakers synched and that's fine. What isn't fine is that on one computer I can only occasionally hear the other character's instrument even though they are right next to each other. If I play each file separately on the appropriate instrument it works fine, but synched play is just not working.

5. Toular

Toular Avatar

Hey, It's actually working today!. My "alt" is on the grand piano, my main is one-man band lute/drum and I can hear both. If it weren't for the occasional "hitch" it would actually be pretty good. Be nice if we had instruments for a bass clef, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.