MaxLiao?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bedawyn, Sep 3, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Okay, what's the deal with this MaxLiao? Yew has two of them, male and female, and I know I've heard the name somewhere else too, but I don't know the significance. The name is a bit too specific to be an accidental bug, like two Elleries or two Emmas might be. It feels like some kind of in-joke or reference, but it's going over my head.

Elgarion likes this.
  2. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

I 'recognise' the name from the Battletech universe, one of the more 'eccentric' leaders of House Liao, but there was only one of him (even though the had used cloning tech to make a fake of a rival house leader!). I don't know of anything in SotA lore that would be relevant, perhaps they are player-created NPCs from the pledge rewards that let you make an NPC and their dialogue/backstory? Talking to them might trigger some specific text, if that's the case.

3. Ashyeena Marsh

Ashyeena Marsh Avatar

I think @Elgarion can answer this one. I believe that's his backer NPC.

4. GMDavros

GMDavros Avatar

Awesome call out for Battletech. Great stories. I may have to go dig up some of those books again.

Fenris

5. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

As stated in some posts above, this may be a backer named NPC (early in the games development, certain pledge levels included the option to name an in-game NPC).
    MaxLiao in-game may refer to John “MaxLiao” Schloe (Owner and executive producer of Legion of Myth) - scroll down the page to the "HOSTS AND STREAMERS" section to see his name.
    On that same webpage, notice that Rick “Elgarion” Hart is listed immediately above MaxLiao (@Elgarion is a long-time player and supporter of SOTA, and he streams SOTA regularly too).
    So, I would guess that Elgarion submitted MaxLiao as an NPC name. Is that the case Elgarion?

Aurelius Silverson likes this.
  6. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

This thread reminded me of something I'd forgotten to do. I just started a Backer NPCs thread in Player Created Resources, so we can each post about the NPCs we created.

Jaesun and Bedawyn like this.
  7. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hahahha yes yes. I think it was a mistake that they added 2 of them, one is on the scaffolding and doesn't have a unique dialogue, but the one in the tavern is an elf who hates the fact that he is an elf. I named an NPC "MaxLiao" because, he, being an old RL friend of mine, has commonly expressed how much he hates elves in RP situations such as when we were playing D&D etc. SO... Max is now an elf for all SotA eternity and expresses how much he hates it. :p

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    Rinaldi, Jason_M, Spoon and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.