Memory isnt your problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Dec 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xecil

Xecil Avatar

I noticed the UI causes quite a bit of stutter, as well. Especially after long periods of playing the game. It eventually reaches the point where the game locks up for a second or so anytime some form of movement is done on the UI, whether it be opening my inventory, paperdoll, or a skill level up notification in the top right.

2. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

not sure if what I experienced was hitching but I did experience something like stop motion while fighting...

3. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I can confirm along with everyone else that there is definitely a hitching problem. I have a new, high end computer (won't bore anyone with the specs) and a 300 mgb/s internet connection - and still have consistent hitching - sometimes everything will freeze in place for several seconds.

4. Raistlyn

Raistlyn Avatar

I had to upgrade from my gtx 760 to a 970, now 99% hitch free....

majoria70 likes this.
  5. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

aw... so the only solution is to upgrade? (╯︵╰,)

6. Schlock

Schlock Avatar

I've noticed some sounds cause stutters. The windmills with their electrical buzz sound for instance. They are not showing on my screen, but the buzz causes the stutter. Animal noises as well.

Matt Harris likes this.
  7. Stadulator

Stadulator Avatar

Running a MSI Pro Carbon mobo, Intel 6800k, 64mb ram, two GTX 1070s in SLI and game runs like I'm using a five year old laptop

8. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

hope the devs are following this or reading this thread... ^^

Gaelis and By Tor like this.
  9. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

you have some serious issue with your PC. Id suggest you run some diagnostics on your hard drive.

Kabalyero likes this.
  10. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

@Kabalyero

Since the game seems to be freezing up and when it starts working again the enemy picks up from the stall (not a blink forward to you being extra damaged or dead) it doesn't seem to be lag or other communication issue.

Do you have a second monitor on the rig? (if so, then possibly run task manager's performance monitor [if on windows] to see if you CPU spikes up to 100%, or if RAM is maxed out and caching to the HDD)

Try to get a baseline of where your RAM and CPU are when not freezing up. would be good to compare.

Another test to do.... See if you get the same freezing in Full screen as well as windowed mode. -- If you normally play in Full screen, this prolly wont make a difference, but worth checking I think)

If no second monitor (and it still occurs in windowed mode), then you could try running the game in windowed mode (reducing the window to a size where you can see the monitor as well.)

Kabalyero likes this.
  11. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

thanks guys... after exiting the game and re-starting it... the "stop motion" thing disappeared...

Ravalox likes this.
  12. Ravalox

Great! Maybe this is the memory leak that others have noted seeing after playing the game for an extended time. IF this happens again, you can verify that by watching the amount of RAM your system is using while playing over time. (spot check it every 30 minutes or so if you can't watch it all the time as noted in my previous post). If it is a mem leak, the RAM using will continue to creep up, leading to the point where you will get freezes.

If you are running 8GB, then adding RAM to the system will supress the symptoms somewhat, but this is would be an app issue and should be corrected by the devs at some point.

Kabalyero likes this.
  13. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

Hmmm... I was playing (or in this case mining in Elysium Mines) for almost 8 hours when it happened...

Ravalox likes this.
  14. Ravalox

That's about right for the mem issue. I've seen other report around 10 hours when they notice major freezing. A restart should clear the issue every time if this is what it is.

Kabalyero likes this.
  15. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

too bad I can't further upgrade my RAM... my board only supports a max of 8GB... I used to have 4GB when 4GB was still the min. req... then upgrade to 6GB when that was the min. req... then upgraded again to 8GB when that became the min. req... unfortunately, if the min. req. becomes 16GB then I'm done... I have to buy a new board... T_T

16. Ravalox

I know your pain. :)

I had to build a whole new rig due to aging GPU and MB. The good news is that the 8GB should be ok once they sort out the memory issues and do final optimizations, but I'd start saving up for a new MB/CPU/RAM as I think by end of 2017 the average minimum for lots of stuff may go up from 8GB. This is kind of a curse; as they release faster CPUs (like the Intel GEN7 i series coming out now), the software authors start gobbling up the resources and end up forcing lots of hardware upgrades in the feild. lol

My "policy" is to avoid building/buying anything that meet minimum specs for what I intend to do with it. It's worth the extra money to extend the life of the machine a bit.

Kabalyero likes this.
  17. Kutas

Kutas Avatar

I've been suffering from hitching all during the Holiday break, and I've never really had a problem with it until R37. I've got a pretty beast machine, 16gb ram, GTX 1080 (latest drivers), 8 cores, SSD, fresh install of the game from Steam.

I like to farm in Elysium Mines and noticed the hitching problem is quite bad if I play for a bit, i.e. run from Brittany Alleys to the mines (farming some trees and cotton on the way, etc.).

I've just found a workaround. When I arrive at the mines I logout and exit out of the game client completely, relaunch, and the problem is not present, at least initially. I'll play for a bit and see if it creeps up just staying in this scene.

I have a feeling the problem is within the games client side code and it presents itself the longer you play. My guess is it's a garbage collection/disposal/variable/state issue on the client, perhaps a bit of the combat "cover" code that wasn't fully commented out is executing more and more frequently ;)

I am always backing up (Swiftness passive) as a mage to kite mobs and the problem was worst while I was moving and casting at the same time. I also have my Air Elemental out all the time and the problem seemed to happen most right at the moment when either I or my Elemental would cast a spell (when you hear the sound and see the visual).

-Kutas

18. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

if you saw my vid, that was in elysium mines when the stop motion thing happened and I did exactly what you did... exit and restart and it disappeared... Chris said in Twitter, it's not happening to everyone... maybe we are special... hehehe

19. Kutas

Kutas Avatar

Wow your hitches are considerably worse than mine! Mine are only half a second at worst, but its bad enough to disrupt me when I am dragging a card to stack with another in my combat bar via mouse. Would be cool if you could enable detailed client side logging while you have the problem and send them the log file to analyze.

Kabalyero likes this.
  20. moko

moko Avatar

Same here. While I notice the graphics have gotten prettier the last releases the annoying hitching persists.

I'm not sure my rig is to blame, I always thought it was decent enough?
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8) System RAM: 32721
    GPU: AMD Radeon R9 290 GPU RAM: 4071

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.