Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Memory Leak/CPU Overworked?

Discussion in 'Release 31 Bug Forum' started by Poor game design, Jul 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

7/13/2016 11:54 PM
    Title: Memory Leak/CPU Overworked?
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? no
    Details: Whenever I visit Rats Nest then go to a basement, I have more crashes, or my computer fans begin to kick in. If I just visit Rats Nest from a fresh reboot of the computer I can play for hours without the fans kicking in. But if I go to a basement, the fans start up and my computer temperature increases by about 5 degrees. I also see this happen in Owl's Head.

I know this sounds very anecdotal. But it's so consistent that I know something is up with these scenes. There's either a memory leak or something special that is making the CPU go nuts for no reason in Owl's Head and Rats Nest.

My basement doesn't have much in it. So in my mind there shouldn't be a problem going TO the basement. The memory from Rats Nest should be cleared out and the basement should run really smooth right? But my fans don't like it. My computer heats up. That doesn't make any sense.

If I load up Owl's Head from a fresh reboot, I'm fine. But if I stay in Owl's Head for a long period of time and then leave, I'm very likely to crash.

One more area that I see consistent crashes in (for me and other players) is Greymark. That area where all the elven fighters are standing around the wagon. I've zoned in there several times and crashed, and seen other players crash (character's running in place) as they attempted to move through or zone into that area.
    Steps to Reproduce: Test going to Rats Nest, then entering a basement. Test moving through multiple scenes and then loading up Owl's Head.
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4820K CPU @ 3.70GHz (8) System RAM: 32687
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 GPU RAM: 2017
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.442.Date.07.11.16
    Area: BasementSceneDungeonKeep_5Floor
    Loc: (6.6, 5.0, 16.5)

I hope this helps. I know this might not be a lot to go on, but if you want to find areas to optimize, there's three. Rats Nest to other exiting or entering the scene from a basement. Owl's Head after you've visited other scenes. Greymark Forrest by the elven fights and the overturned wagon. All of those places have the same "feel", so if you think you're looking for a needle in a hay stack trying to solve the crashes...maybe start in one of these areas.

DuKe NuKeM and Lazarus Long like this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

My uneducated non-professional theory is that the more scenes players load up, the more likely they are to crash because the memory is not being cleared properly. That the larger or more populated scenes expedite this problem, which is actually happening everywhere (anytime a player loads a new scene). Resulting in crashes or inefficient cpu management.

I have no idea what I'm talking about technically, but as a player that's what it feels like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.