Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Mesmerize fix now.

Discussion in 'Release 38 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Jan 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'm trying my best to hold back a lot of frustration about this, but here's what I don't want to hear about or see in R38.

Player gets mesmerized for 7 seconds. Player gets pocket picked, breaking mesmerized. Player is immediately mesmerized again for 7 seconds. Player gets pocket picked again, breaking mesmerized.

Emphasis: Why the hell are we making mesmerize a part of the stealing system? It shouldn't have anything to do with stealing.

Fix: Please make it IMPOSSIBLE to steal from people that are stunned or mesmerized. This solves all problems, all use cases related to stealing from people while stunned or mesmerized. The whole purpose of making a stealing mechanic that relies on stealth and cunning is that you actually need to use STEALTH AND CUNNING to be successful.

Using mesmerize or stun is NOT a good system. Forget about the fact that there's virtually no non-kludge defense against it, it's a very bad way to approach this.

Please fix this before R38. It's very simple, mez or stun = no steal. Problem solved.

2. Drocis the Devious

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Why is stealing, a skill who's point is to grief other players, in the game at all?

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Chatele like this.
  4. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

The problem why people mezzed their target in the first place hasn't been fixed... So it's just a solution to stop people using this mechanic, but stealing is still broken and useless.

5. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Mez is fixed in the Monday patch
    Also, Stealing is fixed in the Monday patch. Stealing was never intended to be a combat skill. Because it was, player were able to use it about 20 times as often as intended.

Retlaw, Widsith [MGT], Womby and 7 others like this.
  6. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

But Chris, if it was intended to make a thief wait for ages on a not moving target to make a successful pick pocket... why not make it that higher skill automatically picks the most valuable stack out of their pockets? I mean cmon, it is useless with those changes, you can see that? And people used the mez trick because of that. So please make stealing a little more rewarding. I find it easier to rez kill people for their belongings, than pick pocket them.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  7. Drocis the Devious

Thanks for the additional clarification, Chris. This appears to be a great way to limit thieves to a challenging attempt to steal instead of an easy way to grief. Much appreciated!

Sorry if I overreacted to what was in the original release notes. I didn't want to avoid pvp for another entire month.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  8. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

Stealing needs to make sense and right now it doesn't. It doesn't make sense for the victim or for the thief.

A rogue of any type, or player of any type for that matter, should be able to rely upon their skills and tools that make sense for the situations they find themselves in.

With the way stealth currently works, there is no point in leveling it up beyond 1 point. Another player can see the same shimmering effect whether you're at 17 or 102. So, with stealth in it's current incarnation, forget about it being very meaningful to a thief. Sure, stealth has SOME value but not nearly enough for this situation. It's just too easy to spot someone in stealth. Also, if someone is mezzed, stunned, or somehow incapacitated, it would make sense for them to be able to be pick pocketed in that state. A mez or a stun should make it nearly impossible to fail at pick pocketing, whereas a trip or a slow would probably increase the difficultly.

The people that are so vehemently against being pick pocketed while mezed should keep in mind that there is currently more than one way out of a mez and I'm certainly not talking about logging out. Just because you don't come prepared to overcome a mez, doesn't mean using it to gain the upper hand is bug abuse like so many have claimed.

On a side note: I've always thought that anyone should be able to steal from or attack anyone, anywhere, anytime, and for any reason. But, I also think that unwarranted attacks should have attached consequences. Ya know, such as guards running after a criminal, arresting them, or cutting them down. Some sort of system that follows these guide lines would make the game more interesting and immersive for everyone.

Bring on the ******** stares. I'm ready for my flogging.

9. StarWeed

StarWeed Avatar

You res kill even for no loot. I don't think this yet-to-be-implemented feature is going to be the cause of your res killing in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.